Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Super Cub Project and Sex

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cub Project and Sex

I've posted sometime back I was getting back into flying again after a 25+ year departure. Found a great instructor in the Seattle area, learning in a J3 and how to be a pilot for real this time. As most of us I have the bug to own my on SC now and of course always searching through the forums for possible projects. I have looked at Experimentals and still may go that way, but found this thread here last night.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/cc/airpla...s&PartID=16065

Well this morning I contacted Cub Crafters to learn a bit more about 76MM. She is definitely in need of a restoration, but that's fine, part of the reason I like Cubs is that you can work on them some. There is rust on the fuselage, but the engine is good, the wings are good and there are very complete log books and a number of good things about her. She is 150 HP and I wanted a 180, but I can build time in her and always upgrade later if we hit it off.

Can those of you with far more experience tell me how much I can do to restore her? I would like to turn her into a widebody cub, is Airframes Inc my only option? If I went with someone else's widebody fuselage it has to have the FAA stamp of approval to remain certified correct? She has extended wings and I'm really thinking about going back to the standard wing, that going to cause issues? What am I saying anytime you change the FAA has issues.....

If some of you learned types might impart upon me the wisdom of your years of experience and suggestions. Oh I put the SEX in there to increase the readership and with a wife gone 95% of he time on road trips selling things it's about as close as I get these days.

I'm going over the mountains the first of the week to take a look at her and go over some of the logbooks, if you have suggestions please let me know. Oh the folks at Cub Crafter have always been very helpful with me, even as a tire kicker.
    [/i]

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chuck,
    If you haven't been welcomed yet, welcome!

Before you get started on a project like the one you mentioned, I would take a close read of this recent thread:
    http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewt...highlight=rust

Take a look at this related photo album also:
    http://supercub.org/gallery/view_alb...album24&page=2

This will give you an idea of what you could be getting into when it comes to rust and old air frames. This might be perfectly acceptable for someone who wants to rebuild. Just be aware of the can of worms.

For me, with limited initial dollars, I chose the experimental route. Although I drool over the thought of buying a plane ready to fly, I actually like the building and enjoy the challenges it offers. My reward will be the fact I was able to build my own airplane, the fact I can do my own maintenance, and the fact I will save thousands over a brand new certified plane. Oh, and it will be brand new too!

Now if I could just stay out of Barnstormers and TAP and quit drooling!

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Rebuild

Lets see, buy the airplane and bring it home to rebuild. Remove the wings and set them in the pile to the right. Put the log books in the pile to the left (stuff your going to keep) Then remove the airframe and put in the pile to the right (stuff your not going to keep) Looks to me that you will have a engine and log books. Might be better off finding one already the way you want it. There seems to be no shortage of SuperCubs forsale, just keep a eye open for one and talk to alot of cub owners for ideas. E-mail me and I can help you.

Take care

Bill Ingerson
    aa.fueler@verizon.net

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cub Project and Sex

if you go ahead and buy that project and while in the process you decide to change the wing tips back like you mentioned i will buy them from you that will help with funding the wing repair email me if you get it and decide your defintly going to do it pacer783lk@earthlink.net

StewartB
    Assume you buy this project for $40K and the wings and engine actually are good as-is. The wide body fuselage is available from exactly one source, as it's STC'd for installation and PMA'd as a replacement part. Realistically, you're looking at at least $80K to complete the project you're suggesting, and after you're complete you'll have a new airframe with used wings, a mid-time/anybody's guess motor, old instruments and radios, etc. And $80K may be too conservative an estimate. So the question I'd ask myself is "is this the best value and/or the plane that best fits my needs for the investment?" If you did it on the cheap with a standard replacement fuselage, you might get it down to $70K. Repeat the question.

Projects are attractive because of the initial investment. Don't short-change your budget for the total investment.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SB

Projects are attractive because of the initial investment. Don't short-change your budget for the total investment.

SB
    Along with every negative there is a plus- knowing exactly what you have when you are done is a plus to rebuilding. But there are better deals out there on flying projects.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys, bought a Trade-a-Plane on the way home from flying today. I have next week off so I may go look at 76MM and follow up some other SCs too.

I really appreciate your comments, makes me think a bit more, need to keep some of the emotions out of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Chuck, I am the one with the plane problems that Bugs66 linked you to.

We payed 29,000 for our plane in about 1998. The engine was about 50 hrs. since major. I new then that it was rough, but the price was right.

Now I am looking at $30,000 potential in parts so far for the rebuild not including labor. And the way my predictions have been going so far, that price will surly go up

Do a very very close (ie. tear apart) inspection on that bird before you buy so that you can have some idea of what will need to be addressed in the re-build.

The way I see it, is you can spend it and go flying, or spend it working on it and go flying much later. Either way you are going to spend it.

Lance

PS If its in good shape internally, you may get off easy. I did not think ours was in as bad a shape as it was, and I have been crawling around it for a # of years. Have someone with experience look at it with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    If buy for $40k, the project will go to $80k? Is this because we always want to do more and more? or is this the base for a new fus & covering. Just curious how the price jumps. I will be targeting a cub this summer and will hopefully be able to find a cub that I can both afford and in the right condition.