• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska state road/runway

B

bearsnack

Correct me if I am wrong someone. Alaska roads are still legal to land on and taxi on. Correct?
This could also be an oppurtune time to share some interesting stories using that law.

As far as I know its still legal, as long as you follow the FARs. I've got a few stories, but the statue of limitations isn't up yet.

I've never done it............if you thought it was it MY Cub, you must be wrong. Musta been another one that looked just like it, afterall my Cub is camo, White & Red!

And for the record, the story about hitting, and then landing on, the roof of a certain establisment in McGrath while trying to do the ultimate buzz job has no truth to it!/?

The story about about landing in the parking lot of the Naknek school, to take my kids swimming is also not correct, however we did land IN a large Alder patch one time after trying to teach a guy to drive who moved the fuel selector to the "off" position when he jumped in the front seat. Over the next couple of days I must have patched 100 little holes on the under side of the wings, tail & belly, after that my neibors fondly refered to that Cub as "Spot".

Well, there has been times during breakup when the runway was too soft and the road was, well... convenient. Then there's the times when the wind is just right you gotta' do it. Too bad there are so many cars anymore....and HEA really ought to bury those power lines! :eek: I remember a time when a certain Kenai Penisula doctor landed his bi-plane in down town Soldotna because he was about a half gallon light on fuel.

There used to be a State statute that provided for the right of way for aircraft landing on highways. It was repealed some years ago.

I have some great pictures of me landing my -12 on the Seward Highway in front of Alyeska Highway intersection in the 70s. The highway was closed due to Avalanches for a couple of days and went down to pick my brother up who was out of money to buy any more lift tickets. Landed right in front of a Trooper who was keeping the traffic from heading to Anchorage. No problem then, don't think you could do something like that now though, too much traffic.

I have thought about it but every time I look at some place I would like to land on the highway I see way too many wires.

Back in the 80's I used to routinely land on the highway at Clear Sky Lodge to refuel on the way up to a mining camp out of Coldfoot. The lady at Nenana in the trailorhome that sold fuel had gone out of business, didn't want to wait for the fuel truck from town to come out and detouring to Fairbanks took too long. Clear Sky has a strip out back but no way to taxi to the pumps, so the highway worked best. Never had any hastles from the troopers, but traffic in that end of the woods is generally light. There were powerlines that you had to be aware of and the highway out front had a gentle curve to deal with. The tourists in the lodge sure liked to press their faces against the windows though. :eek:
Rock

I did it once a couple of years ago on the parks highway at Igloo. Pulled into the parking lot and had a snack. The lady at the counter wasn't too suprised but some of the passing motorists were. That was a good place to do it because the traffic was light, the road was straight, and there were no power lines.

Caution, some local jurisdictions have passed ordinances prohibiting landing on the roads within their municipal boundaries. Check ahead if this is something you plan to do to avoid an unpleasant surprise. For example, Homer prohibits landing on the Spit beaches. In unincorporated areas the State law applies. I believe that Alaska still permits landings that do not pose a hazard to traffic, etc.

Yup. I suppose it won't be long and we will be like the rest of the Lower 48. :bad-words: Hope it's not in my lifetime though....and I figure I have another 30 to go if I fly right. :D

Back