• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8.00x6.00 Tyre Pressure?

cubscout

FRIEND
I have this friend (No! really, despite what some may believe), a computer-impaired Luddite, who has just transitioned from 8.00x4.00's to 8.00x6.00 tyres, utilising Aircraft Specialty (f.k.a. McCreary) Airhawks. These have a somewhat rounded profile.

My guess is he's running 75% coarse tarmac, 25% grass/gravel/unpaved, but I could be wrong.

What is the optimum tyre pressure? I'm thinking ~15-18psig here, but that's based on too much 8.50x6.00 experience in the dirt.

Thanks for your help.

Cubscout

I run 800-6's right now, and about 95% pavement and the rest turf while Im stuck in the DC area for right now. I've found 18 psi gives a good amount of give and keeps a fairly flat patch in contact. No bouncing back up when I land a foot too high. Makes it good enough for getting in and out of the hangar too.

For the record the Supercub POH called for:

Main tires 22 PSI

Maule tail or equal :

Tail wheel upto 55 PSI(this is what maule told me)

But I aggree that 18 or less is the better pressure and a little less squirly on the pavement.

We converted our Cub from 4's to 6's aprox. 20 years ago. 80% is on grass or farm fields. As long as someone helps push it out of the hangar 13-14 lbs. really cuts down on the "hopping" But it can get interesting at those pressures on asphalt in a cross wind. I run 18 lbs. when going asphalt . . or staying on reg. grass strips. Plus it pushes alot better on our dirt hangar floor and grass out front. 18 lbs. works better in snow . . . . until I have to got to skis. I am running the same brand/model as your friend and have no complaints. Larry Ciszak

Brilliant that I found this post and thanks to the OPs!! I have the standard Piper wheels on my PA-12 and took it onto tarmac/pavement for the first time yesterday, no drama and all worked as advertised and I could really feel the give in the tyres, I'm at about 18psi so sounds like I'm about right and the air cushioned ride feeling is what's intended :)

We try to run 24 psi on 8:00x4s, exclusively on pavement. They drift down all by themselves, and with student work anything below about 15 can be disastrous. A quick application of brake to stay out of the weeds and next time around you have a flat.

At government supported airports a flat is a big deal. One airport manager wanted an accident report for a flat nosewheel on a taxiway. We used to have a guy at MYF who wanted to call a forklift for a flat. Yow!

Back