Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

View Poll Results: How Fast is Your Internet Connection?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dial Up: 14.4K or Less

1 1.27%
  • Dial Up: 28.8K or Less

11 13.92%
  • Dial Up: 57.6K or Less

6 7.59%
  • DSL, Sattelite, or Cable

55 69.62%
  • T1

4 5.06%
  • T3 or OC1

0 0%
  • What is the internet?

2 2.53%

Thread: Internet Access Speed Survey

Post Thanks / Like

Internet Access Speed Survey

I am at my in-laws using 28.8 dial up to access supercub.org and I can now say "I feel your pain". Please take a minute and help me get an idea what speeds you are accessing the site at.

I'll be back home this afternoon, and read the results at 1544kbs...

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Between 26.4 and 28.8 depending on phone lines at any given time.

Consider your 1544 bites per second to the system that the FAA has just approved for the Gulfstream at 3.5 MB per second.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaAV
    Between 26.4 and 28.8 depending on phone lines at any given time.
    DITTO !

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazes me that there are areas in the USA where only dialup is available. Dayum. The internet is down right painful at that speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    ADSL at 3,4 Mbps.

There has been an upgrade about every other year since starting at 28,8 dialup in 1996.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecub
    ADSL at 3,4 Mbps.

There has been an upgrade about every other year since starting at 28,8 dialup in 1996.
    The unit just approved for the Gulfstream at 3.5 MB per second is via the Ku side band frequency and takes special satellites. The only usable facility at this time is via that one Gulfstream model aircraft and to my knowledge is not available via ground operations. As it is right now, it basically covers the US and across part of the Pacific Ocean into Asia with some capability over parts of the Atlantic. Service areas will increase shortly but probably a long time for the southern hemisphere if even possable.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSL

Post Thanks / Like
    Ernie,

I was just referring to the upgrades which I have made in my home, since first connecting to the internet.

And it is all built on just the two phone wires!

The phone company is just starting to send 15 digital TV channels over the phone lines, all based on DSL technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecub
    Ernie,

I was just referring to the upgrades which I have made in my home, since first connecting to the internet.

And it is all built on just the two phone wires!

The phone company is just starting to send 15 digital TV channels over the phone lines, all based on DSL technology.
    Obvisoully designed for corportate business but can you picture what 3.5 MB per sec connection would be like?

Post Thanks / Like
    DSL 537730 KPS right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got an email from a member asking what Tx and OCx were. Here is the list of speeds of these lines. It is not uncommon for businesses to have T3 access to the interent these days, big providers use OC'x's, T3's, etc.

T1 lines are as cheap as $399 per month now, but you have to shell out at least $7500 and probably closer to $20,000 per month for an OC3, which is 100 T-1s. From a practical perspective, anything much faster than a T1 or cable does not make sense for the home desktop, since the internet infrastructure and the bandwidth of the providing site also govern how fast you get the info. Most of the big fat high speed lines are used for point to point "intranets" and VPNs (virtual private networks).

All the OC lines are delivered on fiber, and are what phone companies used to hook up zillions of phone lines.

T1 1.544 Mbps
    T2 6.312 Mbps
    T3 44.736 Mbps
    T4 274.176 Mbps
    OC1 51.840 Mbps
    OC3 155.520 Mbps
    OC9 466.560 Mbps
    OC12 622.080 Mbps
    OC24 1.244 Gbps
    OC48 2.488 Gbps
    OC96 4.976 Gbps
    OC192 9.953 Gbps
    OC256 13.271 Gbps
    OC768 39.813 Gbps
    OC3072 159.252 Gbps

Dual direction satelite speeds are available from 1mb to 5mbs pretty commonly for home use from directway, direct tv, and a bunch of others. This is a viable option for folks in the outback (or in the air as Ernie pointed out) or even just outside a big city where cable and dsl are not available. The best "deal" on these is when you also want a lot of TV channels. Satelitte has really come of its own in the last four or five years when they got rid the need for the phone line to sync it. The downside of course is the 14 inch dish on the side of your house or deck.

Cable speeds depend on how many people are using the cable, but can get into the 3-4mbs downloads speeds, or seemingly slow down to 14.4K sometimes

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy could I snipe good on ebay with one of those OC-3 lines.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Good numbers Steve

I live in an RV park in the country here in deep south Texas. I had a 6.5 foot fold down dish on top of my motor home from 1990 for 11 years and than a new owner made me take it off. Limit of dish antennas was 18 inch. So much for the great two way satellite system. That dish is an oval with max length of 32 inches. So must stay with phone lines.

It is strange in a way because the fold down dish I had on top of my motor home could pull in 24 satellites and 22 channels on C band and about 32 Ku side band satellites with 32 channels, some now used for the 3.5 system. What a loss.
    Sneaky person that I am, I still have it hidden and if I can get some good scotch down the managers, they might overlook that fold down dish sitting on the ground in front of my place. Who me, illegal? I am a pilot, remember?

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember those big old dishes, you can still see the permanent ones out in the yards anytime you fly cross country. I also remember when they said they were going to come out with a 12 or 14" one that would do the same thing and nobody believed it.

sj