• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Darn temperture dropped

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
Last week was very warm by Alaskan fall/winter standards. Rain and in the mid 30s to 40. So,,,, like an idiot I worked on a student / guest cabin project instead of pulling the plane off the floats.

So I went up to Anchorage for a few days of Air Guard duty and when I came home, (last night around 11 pm) it was was snowing and cold.

Now it is 18 degrees at my house and windy. I can hardly bring myself to go down to the lake and see what the cub is doing.

Can you say,, blocks of ice in the float compartments???

This will give Iron Inge something to berate me about for the next couple of years......

darn temperture dropped

alex,
don't feel to bad,70's here yesterday,it' snowing today,havn't done my winter chores yet either.wind started blowing last night,hate to even think of cutting wood,but it warm's things up,where's did i put the chain saw?oop's didn't it crater last year?
maybe ernie has room in florida,scatch that iv'e got to vote tomarrow!

see ya.

jr.

Like a grasshopper in Summer you spent your time dozin'...
When a more antlike approach would have kept it unfrozen.

I feel for ya man! I just made it on my cub. Heard there was a big blow on the way for Valdez, so I been trying to get out of town for a couple of days. Thompson Pass turned me back twice. I had to go on Saturday because it was coming on for Sunday. Tried the pass. No go. Turned toward the narrows and called Juneau radio. Now I gotta go the long way though Anchorage. Boy I hate flyin at 50 feet off black water just to get though to Whitter. Man I like that Garmin 296. Whitter was a real "E" ticket ride, I'm sure you know! Ducked in to Birchwood in the snow. Windy pass was a bitch! Snow in Fairbanks. Well at least I got the cub to its nest in the Interior. Now I'm stuck in Anchorage, as they cancelled my flight into Valdez tonight. Big snow comin on Wednesday from what I here. Its ski time, and the trapping season is right around the corner. I love this place.

The Cub Special's Wait

I sit here forlorn, all encased in ice...
my owner's off-goofing while I pay the price.

My float seams all ache and rivets are popping...
snow covers my wings and the temp - it keeps dropping.

A moose wanders by and grunts its displeasure...
what pilot would keep a float Cub in such weather?

He soon passes on searching for cows...
while wind driven waves crash over my bows.

I hope he comes soon, barks the resident otter...
or he'll find only your tail above the cold water.

The trout just below talk of an excellent reef...
should the owner not show and I come to grief.

But his wife knows him better than my animal friends...
and soon I'll be hangared and quite safe again.

Dreaming of horizons and far flights on Bushwheels...
chasing caribou, moose, whales, porpoise and seals.

Perhaps this year he'll even put me on skis...
then I can land wherever I please!

So I'll continue to wait knowing it wont be long...
till I'm retrieved from the lake and the ice is all gone.

:roll:

Cool !!!

I went down there tonight after the CAOP meeting. The front of my floats are froze into the ice real solid.

Tomorrow I will be down there with my Red Dragon heater and a bunch of Ice melter.

Got cold here too. Great!!!!!

The mud on the back beach is stiff and firm.

Unfortunately, the wind is north - ish which produces big gustsat this end of the lake.

So, now, I know Who is RedBarron.

We should all know each other by name. Right Andy

Gary Reeves

3983Z up at Portage Creek on Lake Clark
I

Back