• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Happy 75th Birthday 99s

Nice article, but the photo purported to be of Amelia Earhart is a little bit over the top. I never knew her, but the photo show a little more 5 o'clock shadow than I remember seeing in her newsreel photos. The photo looks to be of Harold Gillam a well known Alaska Bush pilot of the 1930's and 40's.

Dana said:
Nice article, Ernie. So glad they didn't go with the name of "Noisy Birdwomen"! :eek:

Dana

Thanks Dana. I have a lot of respect for the women that helped form the aviation community as we know it today. Just look at Christina and of course Anne on your web site. They can sure hold their own among all of us so called men.

I got involved with the 99s when I dated a member, the secratary to the owner of the company I worked for at one time. As a pilot, she loved his Lear Jet. Also I had a close friend that helped form the club in the early days who lived in Alaska. I have posted a couple of stories about her husband along the way. Last name of Dodge if that rings a bell. :wink:

It is such fun to share my memories with all of your members

Ernie

Ursa Major said:
Nice article, but the photo purported to be of Amelia Earhart is a little bit over the top. I never knew her, but the photo show a little more 5 o'clock shadow than I remember seeing in her newsreel photos. The photo looks to be of Harold Gillam a well known Alaska Bush pilot of the 1930's and 40's.

Mike
How true you seem to be as usual. I did not really look at the photo, only the text. Sorry folks, my fault. Guess what my comment will be to ANN Mike? I suspect I will not be the only one.

Still, what a great bunch of women that helped bring aviation to what it is today. An example is the lady that ended up being one of the top B-52 pilots in the Air Force at Rapid City, SD but lets forget about why she had to leave though.

Lets face it, if it were not for Dana, would we really have the supercub.org site as we know it now?

Back