• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

off airport landing sites in Wisconsin

sbkuehn

University of Wisconsin
I split my time between Madison and Milwaukee and was wondering if anyone has found any off airport landing areas in Wisconsin that would be cool to check out. I have a top cub with 26" goodyears so this might give you an idea of the surfaces I could land on. Specifically, has anyone landed on the sandbars on the wisconsin river or on lake michigan/superior beaches. If so what are your techniques for these landings (upstream/downstream) and is there anything to really watch out for. I am not looking for anything too hardcore. In addition, are there any regulation that I would have to watch out for during these procedure in Wisconsin. Maybe you guys could also recommend some neat approaches, short, bumpy, public strips around Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin. Thanks a lot.

Sean

It works but takes a little time to load the photos of the sand bars in the Wisconsin sand bars and one of by boo boos.

so, looking at the old posts I came up with a question. Is wet sand more stable than dry looking sand generally? I just wonder this because along a beach the wet sand is usually more firm. If any of the wisconsin people see this post maybe you could drop me a line and we could do some flying together so you could show me a few things about this area. My email is sbkuehn@wisc.edu

Where do you base the Top Cub? I live in Madison, but fly out of Brodhead (C37) along with WIFlyer and SupercubC37 as well as several other sc.org members. Someone is almost always in our hangers #26 and #35 (south side of airport) on the weekends. Stop in sometime to talk cubs and flying in WI. :D

i am based out of west bend. I am going home for the weekend from school, hopefully to do some flying (weather permitting). I will try and stop by brodhead to say hello and to convince some of you guys to head to the sand bars with me on saturday or sunday.

just learning to use a forum so forgive me if i make a mistake, ill be flying my cub down from alaska to spend the winter down in wisconsin, coming from alaska there is really no place your not allowed to land. is there any rule or reg down there that doesnt permit landing on a field, was hoping to park on a farm field with owners consent

thanks

just learning to use a forum so forgive me if i make a mistake, ill be flying my cub down from alaska to spend the winter down in wisconsin, coming from alaska there is really no place your not allowed to land. is there any rule or reg down there that doesnt permit landing on a field, was hoping to park on a farm field with owners consent

thanks

Every state has it is own regulations but if you have a landowners permission you would be fine IMO. Here's a link to state by state recreational use statutes
http://theraf.org/content/50-state-survey
It looks like Wisconsin does not have aviation specific coverage but it appears to be broad in scope.

For you adventurous types, here are a couple of pictures along the Chippewa River about 7 miles east of Durand and about 24 miles west of Eau Claire. I think these are the river banks Grant likes. Just don't hit my favorite old Railroad Bridge, now a part of the Red Cedar Bike Trail. Would hate to see fresh SC paint ruin the century old patina on the structure.
. IMG_1751.jpg
IMG_1747.JPG
IMG_1744.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1751.jpg
    IMG_1751.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 159
Be careful in Northern Wisconsin. The indian tribes and the National park service take a dim view of planes landing on their lands.

Give Jeff Russell (the Madison WI Jeff Russell) a shout...he took some of the gang out to some terrific small strips! I would bet the Lone Rock area will be the destination for a flyout for lunch and subsequent landings next year!

IMG_0316.jpg
Here is Jeff (red shirt) surrounded by a few of his many admirers:)

Attachments

• IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 166
Hey flyalaska, I just sent you a PM with my contact info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back