• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Coolers - Aero Classic, or Niagara

I can't make a comparison, but I used the 8000328 from Pacific for the Kenmore 150hp upgrade in my -12. Certainly have no complaints, never see oil temps indicating much above 140-150degrees even this summer. I used it because it crossed to the old Piper(Harrison)p/n that the STC called out. My only complaint was that Pacific charged me as much for the mount brackets as they did for the cooler!
Chris

Mark-

Niagra is behind on their oil coolers right now. This was in June, we still have not gotten the one we ordered for a supercub.

Tim

I had a Niagara on back order also. Decided to buy a "Pacific Coast" and I am very pleased. Quality product. Had about a forty degree drop in temp.. It is also PMAed.

Lance

I replaced the old cooler in my 18A (150 hp) with an Aero-Classics no. 8000328 in May during the annual. Seemed like a real quality item. Quite a bit lighter than the old Harrison cooler, and a direct replacement.

I bought mine from Stoddard's in Anchorage. I asked for a Niagra, but they said they carried the Aero Classics. I tried to find out the difference, but didn't find much info. My oil temp was running a bit high (200-210 @ 55 OAT), and I got it in my mind that the old ratty oil cooler wasn't helping anything. Right after the change, I didn't notice much difference. But later in the summer, when it was warmer (~ 70) it didn't get much above 200. Didn't make much sense to me, but I didn't mind.

I put a order in with Pacific, and it should have shipped today. If you guys have backorders with Niagara, you might want to give them a call. I talked to Niagrara too, and they said they had coolers in stock and ready to ship.

I've dealt with both Niagara and Pacific over the years, and always had good service with both places. Anyone I've talked to with either cooler is happy with the product, they both seem to be quality parts. I went with the Aero Classic because it costs a little less, and is a little lighter.

Can anyone confirm the Niagra cooler part# for a experimental pa-18 is 20002A , before I order one from Aircraft Spruce, ( their # 08-00740)

Ron B said:
Can anyone confirm the Niagra cooler part# for a experimental pa-18 is 20002A , before I order one from Aircraft Spruce, ( their # 08-00740)

I'm assuming for the O-320. Do yourself a favour and buy the next size up 20003A. You can always cover a bit of it off if installing on back of baffle or put a damper in the scat tube if feeding air to it that way, to bring temps up if needed. Sometimes the 20002A works good, but generally everyone complains about being a bit on the hot side using it.

Cheers,
Wayne

Does Cub Crafters have the only STC for rear mounting the cooler? Which cooler do they sell. Any other recommendations?

Ron.....
I put a rear mount Niagara on mine with the adjustable oil temp on the panel ( a flapper valve in front of the cooler). Has been working well and seems to run 100-110 degrees warmer than OAT. Got everything from Dan's http://www.dansaircraft.com/

Irishfield
I should have stated 0-360, I'd assume the same goes for this engine cooler also?
Thanks Guys

Ron B said:
Irishfield
I should have stated 0-360, I'd assume the same goes for this engine cooler also?
Thanks Guys

IMHO the 20002 would be too small for the O-360..I'd go with the 20003 for sure. Cheers, Wayne

Thanks Wayne
You guys save us Newbie's a lot of time and money. I'd have to say the research, ( about 2 hrs every night) is the worst part building a homebuilt. This is my second and one half project. Started a Zenair 701 , got half way and gave it to a friend and jumped into a Rotorway helicopter kit which I still have . Haven't flown it much since starting this Smith's kit. I did not have a site like this ( not out yet) when I built the Rotorway( it was developed when I finished. I'm on that site answering Newbies when I can help, usually some of the Guru's beats me to the punch, but that is fine. These sites are invaluable to a builder.
Thanks a lot
Ron Belliveau

Cubdrvr
Could you post the model and dimensions if possible? You wouldn't have a photo of your flapper by any chance?
Thanks Ron

Wayne
This larger cooler still fits on the rear baffle panel ? I can't get to open the files on these coolers to get dimensions and any other information, you wouldn't have the dimensions for the 20003 model?
Thanks Ron

Thanks Wayne , just the info I needed. I've visited that site but my puter would not open the file , got to get it fixed.

Back