• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Fuel Valve Sticking

reileyr

San Antonio, TX
Fuel valve is difficult to turn. With cap, gaskets, spring, indent washer removed. valve stem wiggles and turns easily, but stem won't pull out. What is the procedure to remove stem and lubricate?

After all the parts are removed put the handle back on and pull. Should come out fairly easy. The new valve from Univair is a very nice replacement and it isn't a brass cone running in a brass seat. If you are going to repair yours use a light valve grinding compound if the cone is scored and lubricate with fuel lube.

I have tried this, but still unable to pull out. The stem has some in and out play, maybe 1/32" when I pull as hard as I can. How rough can I get?

Probably galled to the point you are going to have to get real rough. Pull hard while twisting.Then Plan on replacing it with Univairs. (Best get Univairs first if you don't want to be down for long)

If it's stuck in there that hard, you'd be better off with the Univair valve. Lapping works to a degree, but if you lap too much the cone goes too deep into the housing and you loose tha detent action.
cubsunlimited2verizon.net.

Amen to the above...GO Univair ...SWEET..just remember to get the extra nipple to retro from original for clearance.

Is the Univair model equal to the late 18 out of vero beach. I liked that one with the indents. very smooth and definit.

Thanks for everyones help. The original fuel valve is now lubricated and working. I made a "dent puller" out of tubing with a machine screw welded to the end. I screwed in where the handle fastens and the stem popped out on the first try. It was in surprisingly good shape for probably not having maintenance for 45 years.

i have the same prob with a very stiff fuel valve.....univair here we go.

1957 PA18 A

Dublin
Ireland

Back