• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Do You Think of the BearHawk

Looks like a pretty cool plans built experimental. I'd enjoy building one some day, if I ever had the time...

-->Aaron

Cost?

What does it cost? I didn't see the price of anything?
Also, a cruise speed of 140, that seems extreme for a 180hp engine. I wonder if any of those flying will do that?

Mike

I guarantee that if it cruises at 140 it will not come off the ground in 100 feet. The two, TO distance and cruise speed, are basically opposing forces. If you get one you will sacrifice the other, unless you have a lot of high lift devices like leading edge slats, sloted fowler flaps etc. and then add a BIG engine. Then you add complexity and weight. If there is one constant in aviation it is that it is all one big compromise and there is nothing for free.

Bill

Bud Davidson thought enough of it to start a kit built version. I respect his opinion from reading his articles on all the airplanes he has flown over the years. I talked to the designer at length a few years ago. He is a pretty sharp guy. I would like to build the O-540 Bearhawk and have 5 seats so I can haul all the kids. Not in the budget at the moment though.

I remember reading about it when it was first written up in sport aviation. I was going to build one! Then I visited a guy south of me rigging up firehose and pressurizing it as a press when building his ribs. It was first a plans built airplane and a ton of work. I thought it was awesome and still do. Had a feeling it would become something of interest. Always thought it would be a nice one to own. It does a lot of things nicely.

Kit price for the Bearhawk is about in line with a Smithcub, and just about the same stage of construction. Kits are being put together south of Mexico City and trucked to the states. Bud has some pictures on his Bearhawk website.

If they woud offer a scratch build wing kit close to what the pre punched RV kit is they would get more sales in my humble opinion. It is and the Patrol as well an airplane to be recogonized. The welding part of the fuselage is straight forward. Bob Barrows is a conservitive builder in both airframes and powerplants. He personally is not a big computer type person but in the future it will be necessary as his designs are very popular. so keep searching for all the info for a dam good aircraft.

Real performance specs?

Does anyone have one of these things flying that could comment on some real performance specs?

Mike

There is a fairly long thread on here about the Mountain Goat. It seems the main point was that the designer is still looking for someone to give him a tax break in order to set up a manufacturing facility. I may be mistaken but I also believe there was some question about performance claims.

Mark G.

MarkG said:
There is a fairly long thread on here about the Mountain Goat. It seems the main point was that the designer is still looking for someone to give him a tax break in order to set up a manufacturing facility. I may be mistaken but I also believe there was some question about performance claims.

Mark G.

If the designer--or anyone else, for that matter--is looking for a tax free zone with substantial incentives within which to manufacture an airplane or parts, etc. they should contact me immediately.

Oh, and need I mention that the zone encompasses an airport, has skilled labor available and is located in a spectacular region for flying?

Contact information below!

Back