• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Landing light mounted on landing gear

aktailwheel

Colorado
In the history of my 1953 supercub (which there is a lot of), it used to have a "Grimes Jiffy Light" mounted on the cabane V of the landing gear. At one point it was removed, but the light switch in the cabin is still there as well as the mount on the gear, and the paperwork in the logbooks. My question is, if I wanted to put a light back on the gear (mostly for safetly reasons, so other people can see me) what do I need to buy? Is this a go to the local auto parts deal or is there an aircraft setup I should buy? Anyone have this light system on their plane and can make recommendations? I don't want to put the lights in the wing right now, just looking for a quick easy light installation (and cheap!).

My first trip around Hood strip some years back amazed me!! Looked like lot'sa cubs there had Schucks driving lights mounted on the gear!! Thought it was a case of the FAA be damned which it may be. This is the first time I've ever heard of a legal set up like this!! Comments??!!
Mike

A few summers ago I saw a SuperCub at Birchwood that was equipped with three John Deere tractor lights mounted on the gear, and several Cubs with automotive style fog lamps for landing lights.

My 12 will be the same way, but with only two. Gotta watch the drag, you know.
SB

Stewart

You tell me about the legality. Does someone there in ANCH have an in with the field approval system?? It sure wouldn't happen in our part of the country. When we rebuilt our 12, we didn't allow for the lights in the leading edge and I always figured if we really needed them, we'd put them on the cabane vee like the Cubs I saw at Lk Hood strip.

Mike

Mike,
My electrical system includes a B&C alternator which will be field approved. The approval requires an electrical load calculation, which in my case includes 100 watt landing and taxi lights. These lights use dedicated breakers and switches. I'm not required to use the lights, or even install them. If I choose to add gear-mounted lights, the installation doesn't require structural modification, control travel changes, doesn't appreciably change the weight and balance, and won't alter flight characteristics. Therefore, it should be a minor mod, no field approval necessary. That's the way I see it, but I'll ask my mechanic to be sure, and let you know if I was incorrect.
SB

Coincidentally, a few weeks ago there was a thread about cigarette lighters and approval. My mechanic is allowing current for an auxilliary power source, with a breaker. The power source is a cigarette lighter outlet. I asked him if we'll get grief from the FAA about it. He said no, not as long as it was properly fused and accounted for in the electric load calcs.

P.S.
I'm not required to include the landing and taxi lights in the load calcs, unless they're intended for continuous use as recognition lights. Mine are intended for exactly that. Lake Hood's a busy airspace.

check with Jeff Walker at Floats Alaska. Look at thier web site. They have the best lights and STC as well.

stewartb said:
and won't alter flight characteristics.

Stewart. Bet 9 out of 10 FAA inspectors will disagree with that. But if you get your A&P to sign it off more power too you. Had a light mounted in top of hopper on my spray plane that FAA used to give me grief over. (external wires and altered shape of something for wind to catch).
Brian

Bill,
What web site?

Brian,
I'll see my mechanic later today and will ask him. Several of his customers have the lights on the gear. I'll post his answer.
SB

Well, I was wrong. The lights are subject to field approval. Fortunately, my mechanic just got one approved for another member here, and has approved data, so mine won't be an issue. He uses NAPA rubber armored tractor light housings and approved landing light bulbs. Once my 337 is signed off, I'll be happy to share a copy if someone wants one.

Now I have to decide whether to use a Pulselight flasher or not.
SB

aktailwheel said:
In the history of my 1953 supercub (which there is a lot of), it used to have a "Grimes Jiffy Light" mounted on the cabane V of the landing gear. At one point it was removed, but the light switch in the cabin is still there as well as the mount on the gear, and the paperwork in the logbooks. My question is, if I wanted to put a light back on the gear (mostly for safetly reasons, so other people can see me) what do I need to buy? Is this a go to the local auto parts deal or is there an aircraft setup I should buy? Anyone have this light system on their plane and can make recommendations? I don't want to put the lights in the wing right now, just looking for a quick easy light installation (and cheap!).

Why don't you put the same light that was removed back on it. Call grimes and ask them about the part and then no paperwork.

I am the one that stewartb mentioned doing his 12.. I have a copy of the 337 field aproval for the center light, and talked with my faa guy this morning, not a problem

Can I post a copy/jpeg of the field aproval here for others to use??

albet you milage may vary...with your faa guy.. but I refrence the CAR's that apply and make the feds in DC?? or wherever happy...

the only reason this is major, as i was told is the light reflecting on the prop may cause a hazard of flight.. so it has a ICA to keep the back of prop painted black...

Hi Mike and welcome, yes you can post a pic to the cub photo section in the mods folder. No sign in required, just post.

Scott.

Back