• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

shooting window

The ones I have seen are hand made. one hinged down with a latch at the top. The other was hinged up with a gas strut to hold it up. Both aircraft also had a removable rear throttle control.

Left side shooting windows can either fit the sliding windows frame-- remove sliding windows and tracks and make a window frame out of square tubing hinged at the top--- or you can take the front left side window out and make a full size shooting window just like the right side that way you could shoot out the left from the front seat if so inclined. either way latch it to the wing with a "cabinet latch". If you install the full size window remember the guy in the back can hit the prop and if you shoot from the front you need the remember the strut.
Dave

Window

Actually, I found that leaning forward to shoot out the forward window opening of the sliders worked quite well. It limits your travel toward the strut and you have a good reference maintained with the ski and propeller arc. Just line the sights up with the end of the critter's tail and pull the trigger. I did see a very nice folder installation on a Cub at Arlington this year that no only had a single fold-up to replace the sliders but the small "wing" window folded up as well.

harleybubba said:
what is a shooting window and where can i get one,how much?

Be sure it doesn't ricochet when you shoot. But then again, you might get a purple heart for shooting yourself while screwing around. One of the candidates got two of them this way. :crazyeyes: Crash

CRASH I THINK ONE WAS ACTUALLY A TORN SCRACH! NOTHING NEARLY AS DANGEROUS AS A BULLET FRAG :oops: THANKS FOR ALL FEED BACK IS THIS A BUBBA FIELD MOD OR IS IT STC'ED? THANKS DONALD.

Gee guys, don't make it sound like a big thing. I grew up shooting out the window of cubs and the main point are:
Don't hit the prop, don't hit the ski.
I never had a chance to hit the strut as I was hanging out the door with both feet and the strut was under my feet. If the strut is in your way then you are not trying hard enough. I never shot out the left window, never had a need.
The pilot must understand and be comfortable with cross controlled flight in order to give the shooter the largest window of opportunity possable.
All supercubs/ j-3 type are born with shooting windows, if you have a 12 type you can swing the door up or build in a shooting window in the door that swings up.
Practice on the part of the pilot and the shooter are very important. Gallon plastic jugs floating in a lake using a shotgun (00B) is a good way to start out. When you get better an AR15/mini14 with a red dot 5 min site can be used. The pilot will be able to practice without getting spruce bows in the leading edge as well.
As far as I know shooting out the window/ door of an aircraft is legal in Alaska (don't know about other places) so long as you are not being stupid about it. Now what you shoot at is another story best left untold on this site. O' and for those tree hugger types who think it is unfair to shoot out the window/door...... give it a try sometime when it is -10F your are flying through the trees and swamps at 75' and the wind is in your face at 30-40MPH. See who has the largest advantage.

N5126H said:
flying through the trees and swamps at 75' and the wind is in your face at 30-40MPH. .

Don't you tend to get nose bleeds being that high up?? :snipersmile:

shooting winddow

I've got a shooting window that was installed by the North Dakotaq fish and game before I bought the plane it consists of a raised back seat and large window that is hinged at the bottom. I'll look for the STC and see who hold the paper work.

Re: shooting winddow

Jerry Gaston said:
I'll look for the STC and see who hold the paper work.

Probably put in when F&G thought they were "public use" aircraft and didn't need any stinking paperwork. At best I'll bet it is just a field approval.

Harley, are you still looking for photos and ideas about shooting windows? I put two shooting windows in my Cub when I rebuilt it, both on the left side. And I have private ground permits with the Utah State DoA for Aerial Predator Control, a must on planet Utah. I can take a gunner or do the shooting myself from the front seat. They also make a great photographic spot, nothing like plexiglas to mess up a good pic.
If you're interested in pictures or visiting contact me on my personal email.
Dennis dblaz@sisna.com I do have field approval for the installation on 3 airplanes, and a Husky, you can have copies of for approved data.

harleybubba where are u located in the world. My plane is in Anchorage and I'm going to retreive it this next tuesday 7th Sept. If your close I could show u the actual window.Otherwise I can get a photo to you sometime next week.

Somtimes that shoot back

A friend of mine was sitting in front of his shooting window one day and they were flying about 100' off the ground, he said they were not exspecting to see any varmits but suddenly were getting riddled with bullets and rockets. The pilot turned the helicopter hard and fast while my friend was shooting back with his 50 caliber machine gun. He ended up shooting off one of the skids and a good part of the tail while doing that. They called ahead to the base and had them stack pallets up so they could land with one skid. So you guys be careful and if any varmits start shooting back, don't shoot off your wing struts. :snipersmile:

My mountain momma and her shooting window.
C178A634-DDA3-4CF5-A670-FE05D4AEA722.jpg

Attachments

• C178A634-DDA3-4CF5-A670-FE05D4AEA722.jpg
    C178A634-DDA3-4CF5-A670-FE05D4AEA722.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 232
Back