• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My relationship with Boeing in the late 60s and 70s.

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
I have mentioned several times in my memories about my very fortunate relationship with Boeing in the late 60s and 70s. In my positions with Wien as station manager, almost unbelievable but lets go from there.

In the late 60s, we took delivery of a leased 737, 461GB, owned by GTX Booth (we all called it golf balls). It was a normal passenger aircraft without the large cargo door topside on the left side. Instead, it had the two self contained boarding stairs. Normally, the seating on the early 737s was set at 113 passengers but on this aircraft, we ran 81 seats with a removable bulkhead and floor loaded US mail up front, all loaded through the front passenger door. Normally this mail was boxes of canned food and supplies for local towns. Removing the bulkhead allowed us to go back to 113 seats on a charter or special flight.

Once we got into winter operations just after we started flying it, I noticed some problems with construction. Since it was the first time a 737 operated in scheduled service in the Arctic, there was always a Boeing engineer on board to observe the operations.

On one of our first trips well below zero F, I noticed the seal around the front passenger door (that we used to load the mail) was breaking up due to extended cold temperatures with the door open. Right after deplaning, the cabin crew closed the back door so that seal stayed soft. I finally found the engineer and showed him the difference between the two and he made a note of the problem and it was only days before Wien got a replacement seal of different material and there after, all 737s built had the new product. We noticed the same problems on the lower baggage doors too and they were changed. There were other problems but will not go into them.

Extended cold can do odd things to a newly built aircraft series. I suspect that is one reason Wien in Fairbanks was chosen to do the cold soak testing of the Concorde before it went into service. You can find out a lot about an aircraft that sits on the ground with the doors open at 50 degrees below zero F and how they will crank up the next day without heat and go around the patch a couple of times.

It really surprised me when I got a letter from a VP of Engineering from Boeing with a copy to the owner of the airline thanking me for my help. Gee, all I was doing was taking care of our aircraft. Once Boeing and Wien were satisfied with the aircraft, the Boeing engineer ridealong was discontinued.

Later, when we received our own 737s, Boeing did the gravel certification for the 737s at Fort Yukon, Alaska with one of our aircraft. I was not around that operation but heard a lot of what went on. Things like getting a 737 stuck in soft gravel, getting very close to going over the end of the runway, things like that, nothing serious. By the way, Alaska Airlines is flying one or more of the old Wien gravel certified 737s and I understand maybe one is working in Asia somewhere but I could be wrong on that. We used to lease one of our 737s out to Aloha Airlines during our off season which was their busy time. Nice to see our colors in Hawai'i since I did so much work on Maui.

I often got letters from the VPs at Boeing asking all kinds of questions and at one time, 3 VPs and their wives flew to Barrow and got a personal tour of the area needless to say. Later on at Prudhoe Bay, several flew up with their wives for a tour which I took care of myself since I had full authority from the oil companies to go anywhere on the north slope that I wanted to without prior approval if I felt it would help the oil companies or Wien. We always stopped at BP and ARCO headquarters for coffee and to meet the head man of course. That was really fun for me and met some really great people.

As a special gift, one of the guys sent me a solid plastic model of the Boeing 727 in company colors with a 2 foot wingspan (which was delivered to me by special messenger in front of my boss, the VP of sales for Wien. He didn't have one and boy was he mad :oops: ) along with some really fancy lighters (4 as I recall from different guys) and silver 737 tie tacks. I really cherish them needless to say. That is one reason I believe I was invited to the ceremony at Boeing when the Emir of Kuwait took delivery of his 747 SP and the reception later where met him personally.

One VP of development put together a package of interesting aircraft they had on the board designed as heavy lift cargo aircraft. The designation was the 759. Following is a link to three of those sketches of those aircraft. Note the max weight of them and especially the 759 with the 747 overlay.

http://supercub.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album93

Some of the other 759 series not shown were designed to haul liquid crude oil and liquid natural gas out of north Alaska and Canada in case the oil pipeline was not approved. More sketches are available for those that might be interested. Just e-mail or PM me or I can add them to the gallery.

Back in the early days of jet airliners, they all smoked like "H E double toothpicks" as we all know. That is one reason the 707s were shut down in the US. Too expensive to
re-engine. Needless to say, we were required to re-engine all five of our 737 that had the old style engines. They went to a higher thrust and better engine which helped us but with no smoke. That really made the environmentalist happy because there was no more smoke to be seen. :up Funny part is, the engines burned 15% more fuel and more pollution but you just couldn't see it. Wien got some kind of acknowledgment for being the first airline in the world flying 737s that had modified their entire fleet to new engines. What was not said in the article was that we only had 5 737s.

Yes, guys, just another part of an unbelievable aviation life. I do miss the fun of flying the good old Cubs though and especially enjoy the pros and cons of wheel/three point landing as I have been reading.
Thank goodness the 737s didn't have a tail wheel or I would sure jump in and catch all kind of flack.
Such a great group of multi capable pilots and from what I have read, all are correct in the way they believe.

:cheers

Hi Ernie,
Your stories are absolutely fascinating - you need to write a book someday!

In all of your travels around Alaska in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, I'm wondering if you ever ran into my dad, Don Young [not the congressman]. He moved up to Alaska in the early 1950s to work as a trapper, then eventually wound up at Elmendorf, working his way up to supervisor of all roads, runways and grounds for the entire base. They sent him all over Alaska, to pave runways in places such as Galena.

I know he met Wien before (but I think almost everyone in Alaska did!). When I was little growing up in Alaska, I always remember Wien calendars hanging in my bedroom.

Best regards, Christina

Ernie,

I picked up a book at the Piper fly-in in Lock Haven, PA the other week. Just finished reading it and thought of you while reading it.

The book is: "Wings Over Wilderness, Adventures of Alaska Bush Pilot Paul Shanahan".

Published by Sixty-Below Press of Fairbanks, AK.

John Scott

Christina Young said:
Hi Ernie,

In all of your travels around Alaska in the 1950s, 60s and 70s, I'm wondering if you ever ran into my dad, Don Young [not the congressman]. He moved up to Alaska in the early 1950s to work as a trapper, then eventually wound up at Elmendorf, working his way up to supervisor of all roads, runways and grounds for the entire base. They sent him all over Alaska, to pave runways in places such as Galena.

I know he met Wien before (but I think almost everyone in Alaska did!). When I was little growing up in Alaska, I always remember Wien calendars hanging in my bedroom.

Best regards, Christina

Hi Christina

The name Don Young (not the you know who guy) sure rings a bell. Galena was the only Air Force Base I was assigned to in the early 70s and lived next door to the base engineer, a civilian, and often spent time in his office talking about Wien. His daughter flew as a flight attendant for us. Lets face it, if a person traveled by commercial airlines in the north half of the state, they flew Wien in those days and if they flew Wien, sooner or later they would have met me. We did fly into many, many remote Air Force airports in the bush in support of the radar sites. Those were all gravel though.

Could it have been Don that came up with the idea of mounting an F-80 or F-86 jet engine on the back of a truck to melt the ice off the runways at Elmendorf in the late 50s? What an idea and is even used today by NASCAR to dry their race tracks after a rain. That I do remember but not sure on the names other than it was a worker that had the idea, not top management.

I was so very lucky to have worked for an airline such as Wien where the owner knew every employee by first name and most of the family history. With what I ended up with, what an honor it was just to know Sig and the other Wien family that I worked with.

Christina Young said:
Hi Ernie,

Best regards, Christina

By the way Christian, the stories I am sharing here are recaps of all the work I am doing for a book to come out later. What we probably will not read on the supercub.org site are the flight crew stories though. My
co-writer is working on those since she was a flight attendant that flew for us.

Longwinglover said:
Ernie,

I picked up a book at the Piper fly-in in Lock Haven, PA the other week. Just finished reading it and thought of you while reading it.

The book is: "Wings Over Wilderness, Adventures of Alaska Bush Pilot Paul Shanahan".

John Scott

I do not know Paul personnaly but know the name of course. So many other great books about the early bush pilots of Alaska.

Arctic Bush Pilot by Andnerson/Readen the life of my onetime boss at
Wien.
Flying the Alaska Wild by Mort Mason
Alaska's Sky Follies (the funny side of flying in the far north)
by Joe Rychetnik
Noel Wien, Alaska Pioneer Bush Pilot by Ira Harkey The founder of Wien
Airlines.
Wager with the wind, story of Don Sheldon by James Greirier
And many, many more. Sixty-Below Press publishes lots of great Alaska aviation books.

Hi Ernie,
I will have to ask my mom if she ever heard my dad mention anything about the jet mounted to a truck story (my dad died in the 1970s - and I was born in 1965, about 10 months after the great Alaskan earthquake --- were you there then?). My dad never lived in Galena, but he sure was sent there a lot, for extended periods of time!

My mom and dad were both in civil service on Elmendorf, and met there before they got married.

Best, Christina

Christina Young said:
Hi Ernie,
I will have to ask my mom if she ever heard my dad mention anything about the jet mounted to a truck story (my dad died in the 1970s - and I was born in 1965, about 10 months after the great Alaskan earthquake --- were you there then?). My dad never lived in Galena, but he sure was sent there a lot, for extended periods of time!

My mom and dad were both in civil service on Elmendorf, and met there before they got married.

Best, Christina

I was living in Barrow when the big one hit. Now days, it has been reclassified as a 9.2 earthquake. It was strong enough at Barrow that it cracked the ice in the Arctic Ocean and opened up a very large lead miles wide. My wonderful wife was working for Wien at the time at Barrow as a radio operator taking position reports of all polar flights of all countries. How she understood the language I will never know and many polar flight pilots would fly to Barrow just to meet her and thank her. She had direct teletype communications with the FAA in Anchorage so we got up to the minute news of what was going on. My sister lived in the Turnagain area of Spenard near earthquake park. Needless to say, no communications out of Anchorage state side but the Anchorage FAA office was able to contact my sister to make sure she was OK and than I got on the phone I had which was a DEW Line (radar site) phone and called all the way across northern Canada from one radar site to another until I got to Quebec City where I made a collect phone call to my parents in Nebraska to let them know all was OK.

When I was assigned at Galena, I was given the project of moving our entire operation from one side of the runway to the other which was next to the Air Force operation. That was a fun project but really didn't involve the Air Force once all the permits were authorized. Your Mom might remember that part of it though if she went with your Dad at times. I actually flew out of Galena on an Air Force C-130 with a flat tire durring a flood due to an 18 mile long ice jam in the Yukon River. Got off the ground OK but rolled the tire off on landing at Elmendorf but they were expecting that.

If you ever went to Galena, do you remember Ho Bo Bensen's place? Long story. :wink:

Longwinglover said:
Ernie,

John Scott

Paul and Chuck, the author are having a book signing at Tamarack Air in Fairbanks Thursday evening. All you Fairbanks folks get out there and say hello I will be there. :)

Back