• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

National Guard Sky Crane, PBY sling load

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
Durring WW II, there were many, many aircraft lost in southern Alaska. Since King Salmon was the closest mainland airport to the Chain, lots of activity there.

I only have part of this story but also know there are more than one that can add to it. Please join in or correct me with what you remember. PBY Lake?

At one point, the Alaska Heritage Museum talked to the powers at be that they wanted to try and get a submerged PBY out of a lake near King Salmon and get it to Anchorage for restoration. First of all, I must commend the great restoration members of the museum. Old time airline and GA mechanics that just can't get away from old time aircraft.
Some day, I hope I can get some to share their unbelievable storys of how they kept our birds flying in the bush.

At that time, the Alaska National Guard had a small fleet of Sky Cranes.

http://www.wrightwoodcalif.com/thewilliamsfire/9_25williams59.JPG
(without the water tank under the lift rotor)

Just in case some are not aware what they are, a huge single lift rotor heavy lifter. It kind of looked like a fly because of the small tail boom and the very large cockpit that looked like a bugs eye.

The National Guard elected to try the mission as a training exercise for heavy lifting just as they do now with very high altitude operations on Mt McKinley. Probably the best in the world for that.

Off they go to King Salmon on a weekend. The ground crew had already prepared the aircraft for a sling lift but since it was under water, they really couldn't do much with the slime and mud inside the bird.

A side comment if you will: the National Guard pilots in those days were normally very seasoned airline pilots who just loved to fly and some of the best needless to say.

OK, hover, attach the sling and power up. Nothing really happened first time but suspect they might have added a "little" more power than normal and finally got the PBY to move. Red line? As I understand it and that does not mean it is correct, they may not have actually lifted it above water level but did drag it to shore before they dropped the sling. Now time for the ground crew to come in with water pumps to hose the inside out. That probably got rid of 10,000 pounds, more or less.

Next exercise sent the same flight crew back in to try again on a weekend. (remember, lots of people called those pilots week end wonders, but where would our Air Force be today without them?) They did get it lifted although a very heavy load and after lots of work, finally got it to Anchorage. Every pilot involved learned a lot on that mission. I know one thing, if I were having a problem in the bush or with a downed aircraft, it more than likely would be the National Guard of Alaska that got to me first other than company equipment.

OK guys, now that I have started it, please add what you remember.

As an added note, the oil companies building the oil pipeline out of Prudhoe Bay were using a Sky Crane to sling in multi 40 foot sections of the 48" pipeline into place. After dropping off a load, the ground crew unhooked the sling so the bird could go back for another load. Rush, rush.
As the sling was released from the load and the signal given, the pilot immediately swung the ship around and back to the loading area. He turned so fast that the sling started whipping enough that it caught the tail rotor. Needless to say what happened after that. Damage caused it to explode inflight. A great operation but trucks were used after that.

In 63 &64 I was with VP-2 out of Kodiak NAS and we flew the chain alot. What was most interesting was all the aircraft that were left abandon on beaches or in the hills on almost every island. I still have pictures of a P-38 on the beach on some island that appeared in pretty good shape. I thought of the Glacier Gal and all the work and trouble they went thru to get it back and flying. The P-38 is probably not there in the Chain now.

Jerry Gaston said:
In 63 &64 I was with VP-2 out of Kodiak NAS and we flew the chain alot. What was most interesting was all the aircraft that were left abandon on beaches or in the hills on almost every island. I still have pictures of a P-38 on the beach on some island that appeared in pretty good shape. I thought of the Glacier Gal and all the work and trouble they went thru to get it back and flying. The P-38 is probably not there in the Chain now.

That Glacier Gal operation was really something. What was it, about 270 foot under the ice and still in almost perfect condition? I often wondered how much private money was spent on bringing it up piece by piece. Oh, the prayers for just a little more fuel. Here are phots of what it is today.

http://www.troop186.com/gallery/Micha-Mokwa-2004

http://www.trackerairgroup.com/images/p-38land.jpg

Seems I have heard about the P-38 on the beach but not enough info to pass it on and be correct. Here is another one out on the chain.

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0900/p38.htm

Jerry Gaston said:

Jerry

Just thought of something. Were you ever running those flights along the Arctic Ocean coast near the Point Barrow Air Force Station in 63 or 64? I watched what I assume was one of your aircraft (of many) fly by at maybe 500 foot (or less but over water of course :wink: ) turning just the two inboard engines.

Ernie,

King Salmon is far from being the closest airport to the Aleutians. Cold Bay would hold that honor, and in fact was a major Navy base, operating PBY flying boats during WWII.

There are a lot of stories about the Guard and the Skycranes toward the end of their service. Unfortunately, the crews really didn't get enough flight time in the aircraft to maintain proficiency.

MTV

mvivion said:
Ernie,

King Salmon is far from being the closest airport to the Aleutians. Cold Bay would hold that honor, and in fact was a major Navy base, operating PBY flying boats during WWII.

There are a lot of stories about the Guard and the Skycranes toward the end of their service. Unfortunately, the crews really didn't get enough flight time in the aircraft to maintain proficiency.

MTV

How correct you are but I referred to mainland airports, not island airports.

I totally agree with the lack of flight time for the Guard and was only trying to show what a great bunch of pilots the Guard has even today.
Many of our pilots flew for the guard when Wien was still flying.
From what I hear, the high altitude group is getting more time these years.

PBY

The name of the lake is Dago Lake. Landed there many times to check the PBY out and to "water" the area.

Re: PBY

labdad32 said:
The name of the lake is Dago Lake. Landed there many times to check the PBY out and to "water" the area.

Thanks loads for the lake name correction.
We always referred to it as the PBY lake. :wink:

Can you add anything to the moving of the PBY to the Alaska Heritage Museum?

Yep probably was some one from our squadron the P2V had two burning and two a turning but we always flew with only the two a turning with the jets in standby. We delivered mail and beer to you guys up north.

mvivion said:
Ernie,

Check your map: Cold Bay is indeed on the mainland, not on an island.

MTV

I stand as corrected of course. My error. All of my life, I have always considered the Alaska Peninsula part of the chain.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Back