• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Turbine Super Cub

First, the idea is great. Second, you damn know this game :p Certainly it has to be with CS prop (to eliminate your worries, which are true). My comment; you will have to place the engine almost two times further ahead, and the inertial forces acting on the engine mounts will be too much, compared with the reciprocating engine (too many high rev. parts like turbine, gear train and all that). So be carefull with the engine seperation danger.

Ahmet Kamil said:
you will have to place the engine almost two times further ahead, and the inertial forces acting on the engine mounts will be too much, compared with the reciprocating engine (too many high rev. parts like turbine, gear train and all that). So be carefull with the engine seperation danger.

I wonder if this is true. I would expect vibrations to be less on a turbine engine than a reciprocating engine. So I would expect less fatigue problems and not more. Is engine seperation really a risk? I don't hear of many accidents of that nature.

Also, if the aircraft is being engineered from the beginning for a turbine engine, surely it would be possible to adjust the design to take advantage of the lower engine weight? At the least, I would expect that more components could be moved forward. Though maybe there is a limit to what can be moved forward...

Stephen

FixedWing said:
Ahmet Kamil said:
you will have to place the engine almost two times further ahead, and the inertial forces acting on the engine mounts will be too much, compared with the reciprocating engine (too many high rev. parts like turbine, gear train and all that). So be carefull with the engine seperation danger.

I wonder if this is true. I would expect vibrations to be less on a turbine engine than a reciprocating engine. So I would expect less fatigue problems and not more. Is engine seperation really a risk? I don't hear of many accidents of that nature.

Also, if the aircraft is being engineered from the beginning for a turbine engine, surely it would be possible to adjust the design to take advantage of the lower engine weight? At the least, I would expect that more components could be moved forward. Though maybe there is a limit to what can be moved forward...

Stephen

Stephen
I will stay away from the Super Cub Turbines since I am only learning about them but will pass on what knowledge I have about our Porters but the principals have to be the same.

We had both the recip and two different models of turbines. Needless to say, the recip was mounted close to the fire wall and the turbines really stuck out much the same as a modified Beaver and Otter and other older aircraft modified to take turbine engines, even the DC-3s. We never had any problems with the extended nose and engine mounts, mainly because of the lack of the torque problem, only the strength of the fuselage just forward of the tail wheel was a major problem so we, in a way, had to rebuild that area.

Remember, with a turbine, you have almost no torque to worry about during takeoff and in flight as there is with a recip. Very little vibration as mentioned before and any vibration usually comes from a nicked prop durring take off. Just consider the number of moving parts in a turbine as compared to a recip. As I recall, every one of our Porters carried a file just in case.

An interesting thing about a turbine Porter is that a person can stand in front of the prop and hold it with a hand, maybe two, while the engine is lit up and all that happens is that the prop bends a little if it is in feather as is the usual shutdown procedure with the P&Ws. At somewhere near N1 45%, the person has to let go though. There is no direct gear box from engine to prop, only to the generator/starter, the same unit using reverse current power, and that is on the back side of the PT-6 model we used. The Porters carry a couple of very heavy deep cycle batteries in the nose behind the engine so that helps with W&B. I suspect each battery weighs close to 90 pounds each.

Here are the numbers I have for the weights. If they look off, please correct them. They are estimates, as I have not weighed any of these items myself.

188lbs: Engine (power head, gear reduction unit, prop flange, starter, alternator, fuel system, fuel computer)
47lbs: Prop (NSI CAP200):
10lbs: Engine mount
4lbs: Exhaust
50lbs: 2 Batteries
2lbs: Battery cables & fittings
4lbs: Fuel Pumps (2)
12lbs: Cowling
8lbs: Header tank
8lbs?: Plenum

So approximately 333lbs firewall forward. Anyone have numbers on an O-360 (firewall forward weights - apples to apples comparison)?

Geoff

geoffmeyer said:
Here are the numbers I have for the weights. If they look off, please correct them. They are estimates, as I have not weighed any of these items myself.

188lbs: Engine (power head, gear reduction unit, prop flange, starter, alternator, fuel system, fuel computer)
47lbs: Prop (NSI CAP200):
10lbs: Engine mount
4lbs: Exhaust
50lbs: 2 Batteries
2lbs: Battery cables & fittings
4lbs: Fuel Pumps (2)
12lbs: Cowling
8lbs: Header tank
8lbs?: Plenum

So approximately 333lbs firewall forward. Anyone have numbers on how much an O-360 firewall forward weighs? (Apples to Apples comparison)

Geoff

Geoff
Numbers look good except for maybe the batteries. I know pretty well what the Porters carried but have no idea what the APU engine will need for the Super Cubs.
Although I am not aware of what will go into the Super Cubs, I have an idea of the weight of the APU in say a 737. I have a feeling your weight of the engine is very close to accurate.

I could have sworn I saw a SC at OSH this year that appeared to have a turbine installed and looked to be in flying condition. I did not get a chance to see it up close so I can not confirm the engine installation. Anybody else see it or was I seeing things??

Dave

An analogy might be the Maule piston vs the Maule turbine (Allison)

..................................Piston...........................Turbine
GW.............................2500.............................2500
Emp Wt.......................1665.............................1570
T.O. pilot,1/2 fuel.........250...............................200ft
T.O. ovr 50ft. obst........600...............................600
Fuel flow cruise............11gph............................25.9gph
Cruise speed................160mph........................190mpH

Some of the weight gain of the turbine is offset by a heavier (3bld) prop. required to handle the extra power. heavier mount system, fire protection, etc. On big turbine engines vs big piston engines the weight improvement is far more significant. With little turbines the percentage of the total powerplant that is turbine is smaller thus weight gain smaller.
More info can be gained from the Maule website
http://www.mauleairinc.com/Our_Planes/index.html

Battery power & gross weight

Ernie pretty much confirms my own thinking on this ? that there shouldn?t be any particularly big problem with mounting a turbine engine verses a reciprocating engine and in many way, it might be simpler.

I am wondering if the Innodyn engine is going to need the same level of battery power to crank that engines in aircraft such as the Porter do? Surely the smaller engine would require less? Also, since this is an Experimental catagory aircraft, are there better batteries out there that might be used for this purpose?

The component weights that Geoff and Highroads list pretty much suggest that there isn?t going to be a massive difference in the weight distribution of the aircraft and probably moving a few items forward would make a big difference. Query, if the airframe is being built from scratch, what is to stop someone from actually moving the windshield and firewall slightly forward?

But one thing Highroads points to really makes me think. He lists the gross weight of the Maule as the same for both piston and reciprocating versions. But the Turbine Supercub will be certificated in the Experimental category and the Innodyn engine is available up to 255 hp. This additional power comes with no weight penalty. Query, with so much power available, is there any reason why the builder shouldn?t certify the aircraft to a higher gross weight? And if so, what is possible with a Supercub with so much power? Is it possible that we could end up with a Supercub weighing almost 100 lbs less and with a new higher gross weight?

Stephen

Gross weight

geoffmeyer said:
I believe gross weight is a function of several things, including wing & strut structure.

So what I'm wondering is, what is the limiting factor on a Supercub? Is it available power? Or is it something else?

Have any Supercubs been certified at higher gross weights?

Stephen

Can't be certified for higher gross weights I think, because the specific fuel consumption of recip, sweeps away the weight advantage gained by turbine (11GPH versus 26 GPH). Nobody has any objection if you will be happy with 1 hour range :)

Turbine super cub

Ernie, why does a turbine have "almost no torque to worry about"? Yer still twisting a prop that makes gobs of thrust. Don

Re: Turbine super cub

puttputt said:
Ernie, why does a turbine have "almost no torque to worry about"? Yer still twisting a prop that makes gobs of thrust. Don

Don, I believe I stated as compared to a recip engine configuration. You do not have all the moving parts to create the torque.
Flying a turbine is so smooth that it can get a person into trouble until the person gets used to it. In a recip, say on departure, you have to always keep ahead of the heading and in a turbine, a person can concentrate more on performance.

I may not be saying this correct but it is unbelievable what the difference is.

Smith Turbine Cub

Has anyone in contact with the Smith father and son team in Ontario heard about the current status of the nearly complete Innodyn powered Smith Cub that was at Oshkosh in Olive Drab paint? Many SuperCub.org members saw that Cub at the Innodyn booth. It sure stood proud on extended gear and tall tires with that long nose!

My recollection was that this was being built for or by Mr. Smith.

Is it flying yet?

What has the flying experience with this aircraft been like?

Thanks,
Bob Breeden

I spoke with Innodyn yesterday. The Turbine cub is not flying, or finished. They say it is close & will possibly be flying within a month...lets hope!

So, what happened to the turbine Super Cub which was at Sun N Fun in 2003? It was assembled and on floats, but uncovered. When I noted that it appeared the same airplane, in the same condition, was at Sun N Fun in 2004 with no apparent progress, someone noted that this was a different airplane.

So, again, where is the airplane that was at Sun N Fun 2003? Seems like if it was this close to completion then, and experimental, it should at least be about ready to fly.

It appears that there are at least two Cubs with these little turbines on them somewhere. Just curious where.

Note that there is an RV currently FLYING with one of these engines on it. Considering that the RV is a much shorter aircraft, it appears that they figured out the W & B issues adequately on it. Doesn't seem like the Cub would be that much more difficult.

Fuel burn will be a big issue.

Ernie, turboprops still make massive amounts of torque and p-factor, related to the prop, not the engine, though there may be some difference in engine torque.

Note that the military, when they designed their new turbo prop trainer, made by Raytheon, (I believe) specified that the airplane had to have an on ground yaw damper to counteract the effects of p-factor and torque TO BETTER SIMULATE PURE JET powered aircraft.

You are correct in that turbojet powered aircraft exhibit no left turning tendency on the ground, but turboprops sure do.

MTV

The Innodyn engine is advertised to burn roughly 7gph per 100hp below 10,000' (this figure improves at higher altitudes). That makes sense, especially when you compare with other turbo-props. The Allison 250-B17C engine burns about 20gph at a cruise power setting of 310hp (6.45gph per 100hp). The Walter M601D burns 65gph at 657hp (9.9gph per 100hp). The innodyn falls somewhere inbetween these two. So power back the 255hp Innodyn to 150hp in cruise. You should burn roughly 10.5gph. I don't know much about the pistons - how does that compare to an O-360?

Geoff

Thanks, Geoff.

Hi, Mike.

I sure am comfortable flying behind a trusty Lycoming when crossing the Inlet exploring western Alaska, but nonetheless, there may well be a time and place for a Turboprop Cub.

Especially in the drama/performance department. I have thought alot about the turboprop aerobatic aircraft that flamed out while doing square loops at a constant airspeed, and couldn't be safely deadsticked from low altitude because of the drag of the windmilling prop, the prone-to-stall wing, and the light weight of the aircraft. That pilot suffered permanent backbone compression related injuries.

Safe drama/performance for the Super Cub would include what others have thought of, which is even more stellar takeoff performance. And, as others have mentioned, safe drama in the landing phase will also require some quick, smooth, reliable, controllable and intuitive use of beta.

There is nothing like the millions of hours in nearly every wise (and otherwise human) use of the certified piston powered cubs to establish a refinement in safety we now utilize daily.

It will be interesting to see how smoothly, and utimately successful, the accomodation of and transition to Turbines can be. I certainly applaud those who think this endeavor through and do so successfully.

Bob Breeden

Bob,

The Salinas Airshow turboprop crash you refered to, at least according to the NTSB, was pilot error. The Pratt & Whitney said the teardown showed the engine developing middle to high power at impact. I've talked to Wayne a couple of times since the accident and he would beg to differ!

He was landing out of a loop (a vertical eight I believe), descending at 50 to 60 degrees nose down, something that required very precise airspeed and drag control, and he said it didn't power up immediately when he brought the prop out of beta, so he couldn't get up the speed necessary to round out at the bottom to land.

It's probably related to spool-up time. It doesn't take long to go 800' down at that kind of deck angle, and it's probably not the kind of flying anyone would consider in a Super Cub, turboprop or not!

The factual report is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=LAX00LA003&rpt=fa

The probable cause report is here: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/GenPDF.asp?id=LAX00LA003&rpt=fi

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the links. Having now read both, I can see that, from the NTSB perspective, this was pilot error. And you are right, descending 800 feet at a 50 or 60 degree angle at 80-90 knots only takes about 9 seconds, (figuring the vertical component to be 60 mph). I figure that changing from Beta to forward thrust would have been in the last 200 vertical feet, which only gives 2 seconds to obtain forward thrust and flare.

If it is pilot error, as the NTSB asserts, check out that Wayne Handley had 25,000 hours, and 200 plus in this airplane, and that didn't save his landing. Yes, as an aside, he had the pressure of the crowd, and the extra enthusiasm that comes from that (not good) but he was used to that.

It is imperitive, to my way of thinking, to read about this accident and look at how that could be waiting to trap a turboprop Super Cub.

First, we land our Cubs as short as we can, over obstacles. Idle thrust, full slips at full flaps, at stall plus one knot, with a touch of power to round out at the bottom. A short dive at the bottom to get the necessary airspeed to flare is safer, but still we use power to flare sometimes. Or even drag it in, working way out on the backside, hanging on the prop. This is routine stuff to muster the best performance out of our Cubs. It is not a stretch to suggest that we would not learn to use beta, to descend even steeper, and if our timing is not spot on, incur a similar event as described in this accident report. The report states that the turbine and prop were pulling hard at the time of impact. That power was just called for a second too late, which could have been affected by gusts or other variables as well.

The Super Cub is such a fine machine to learn to fly well, and safely, in the full range of its performance. I hope that the turboprop can be incorporated, with all it additional capabilities, just as safely. A Cubs inherent stability, high lift wing, powerful tail and slow flying capabilities which give us long times to react will make this kind of accident less likely than on the aerobatic plane. But such a Cub, flown in this manner, will become dependent on the engine and prop both operating, and being operated perfectly, every time. So much for landings.

Takeoffs with 255 hp at 35 mph will have a deck angle of over 60 degrees as well - and may even be vertical in gusts. The time required for pitchdown in the event of engine failure, or to break a stall, will be even longer that that of a light cub climbing at 35 mph under an 8241 prop. Fuel systems will have to be be designed to carry fuel the 3 vertical feet up to the engine.

Ernie, how did the Porter get fuel to the engine, and how much time did your crack pilots take to master flying it the way you have described in your writings? Were there accidents with the Porter related to max performance takeoffs and landings?

Bob Breeden

Bob
I am not sure how the fuel system was designed on our Porters so cannot offer anything there. Since all of my time in our company Porters was just for fun over a two year period, I never got into systems of the aircraft.

The only company pilot that I ever flew with in a Porter and the guy that taught me how to make that ugly thing work flew it like he was born in it. He was also a CFI at the time. He was a long time bush pilot for us but from the time we got the Porters until he was assigned to my operations, I suspect it was like two years. Keep in mind though, on our bush route system, the legs were very short and a pilot would go through many cycles per day. Some legs were as short at 2.5 miles and some about 10 miles. A person gets to do a lot of playing that way. I suspect in our operations at the time, a bush pilot would have more than 10 times the cycles of a normal light aircraft pilot in a "normal" scheduled airline operation. Also, they knew the eyes were not watching them.

From the descriptions above, I suspect he found his own way to get in and out of short strips that were not covered in the book. That was the way he taught me how to work the machine. When I first started working with him, he kept impressing on me to keep it spooled up when landing and use the prop. So called instant power he would say. Same on take off. Taxi out, line up and when ready, spool it up in ground fine and once N1 was near 92%, lay the prop to it. This had to be done real fast or you would overheat the engine within just a few seconds until you got the prop in for cooling. When you get full hp, whether 650 or 550 shp, within a second or two, it really lays you back and you are off the ground in just a few more seconds. I know this is not what the book says about proper procedures but in those days, most of our pilots could not even know how to read so they threw the book away. :wink: He used these procedures as practice so when he came up with a 2000 foot runway with a soft spot right in the middle, he would be ready for it.

To my knowledge we never had a problem with high performance operations but did have some rather odd situations.

http://www.supercub.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album87

The Porter on the logs happened durring landing and the one on skis happened inflight in severe turbulence.

When doing a three point landing, the pilot had to be very careful not to land tail wheel first or it would buckle the fuselage just forward of the tail wheel. There was no tubing in the fuselage of the Porters.

Our Twin Otter and Skyvan pilots almost always flew them by the book though.

I hope I live long enough to see one of those turbines in a Super Cub. With the right pilot, it will be a fantastic fun machine.

mvivion said:
So, what happened to the turbine Super Cub which was at Sun N Fun in 2003? It was assembled and on floats, but uncovered. When I noted that it appeared the same airplane, in the same condition, was at Sun N Fun in 2004 with no apparent progress, someone noted that this was a different airplane.

So, again, where is the airplane that was at Sun N Fun 2003? Seems like if it was this close to completion then, and experimental, it should at least be about ready to fly.

It appears that there are at least two Cubs with these little turbines on them somewhere. Just curious where.

Note that there is an RV currently FLYING with one of these engines on it. Considering that the RV is a much shorter aircraft, it appears that they figured out the W & B issues adequately on it. Doesn't seem like the Cub would be that much more difficult.

Fuel burn will be a big issue.

Ernie, turboprops still make massive amounts of torque and p-factor, related to the prop, not the engine, though there may be some difference in engine torque.

Note that the military, when they designed their new turbo prop trainer, made by Raytheon, (I believe) specified that the airplane had to have an on ground yaw damper to counteract the effects of p-factor and torque TO BETTER SIMULATE PURE JET powered aircraft.

You are correct in that turbojet powered aircraft exhibit no left turning tendency on the ground, but turboprops sure do.

MTV

MTV
It was my intent to share the differences in our recip and turbine Porters, same airframe under same conditions, on the subject, not to compare apples and oranges. What the prop does or does not do on a Porter is almost the same even though the props are different between the recips and turbines although no bata on recips of course. I was under the impression that someone was interested in what the differences might be.
Sorry MTV.

Beta range?

Don't some recips have beta range props? Seems to me I heard that the C124 had beta? Might have been another plane, but thats what comes to mind.
Why shouldn't recips have beta anyway?

Mike

Re: Beta range?

CptKelly said:
Don't some recips have beta range props? Seems to me I heard that the C124 had beta? Might have been another plane, but thats what comes to mind.
Why shouldn't recips have beta anyway?

Mike

Recips have bata of course but just not our recip Porter 09Z. For us, what a useless aircraft. I was just trying to explain the difference between the two different Porters in the Wien fleet. Photo of that aircraft is available on airliners.net.

Bob Breeden said:
Tom,

Thanks for the links. Having now read both, I can see that, from the NTSB perspective, this was pilot error. And you are right, descending 800 feet at a 50 or 60 degree angle at 80-90 knots only takes about 9 seconds, (figuring the vertical component to be 60 mph). I figure that changing from Beta to forward thrust would have been in the last 200 vertical feet, which only gives 2 seconds to obtain forward thrust and flare.

If it is pilot error, as the NTSB asserts, check out that Wayne Handley had 25,000 hours, and 200 plus in this airplane, and that didn't save his landing. Yes, as an aside, he had the pressure of the crowd, and the extra enthusiasm that comes from that (not good) but he was used to that.

It is imperitive, to my way of thinking, to read about this accident and look at how that could be waiting to trap a turboprop Super Cub.

First, we land our Cubs as short as we can, over obstacles. Idle thrust, full slips at full flaps, at stall plus one knot, with a touch of power to round out at the bottom. A short dive at the bottom to get the necessary airspeed to flare is safer, but still we use power to flare sometimes. Or even drag it in, working way out on the backside, hanging on the prop. This is routine stuff to muster the best performance out of our Cubs. It is not a stretch to suggest that we would not learn to use beta, to descend even steeper, and if our timing is not spot on, incur a similar event as described in this accident report. The report states that the turbine and prop were pulling hard at the time of impact. That power was just called for a second too late, which could have been affected by gusts or other variables as well.

The Super Cub is such a fine machine to learn to fly well, and safely, in the full range of its performance. I hope that the turboprop can be incorporated, with all it additional capabilities, just as safely. A Cubs inherent stability, high lift wing, powerful tail and slow flying capabilities which give us long times to react will make this kind of accident less likely than on the aerobatic plane. But such a Cub, flown in this manner, will become dependent on the engine and prop both operating, and being operated perfectly, every time. So much for landings.

Takeoffs with 255 hp at 35 mph will have a deck angle of over 60 degrees as well - and may even be vertical in gusts. The time required for pitchdown in the event of engine failure, or to break a stall, will be even longer that that of a light cub climbing at 35 mph under an 8241 prop. Fuel systems will have to be be designed to carry fuel the 3 vertical feet up to the engine.

Ernie, how did the Porter get fuel to the engine, and how much time did your crack pilots take to master flying it the way you have described in your writings? Were there accidents with the Porter related to max performance takeoffs and landings?

Bob Breeden

Bob - great stuff to read & think about. I had not considered what a prolonged high deck angle would do to fuel flow. I really appreciate the thoughts.

Here is something else to consider...since the direct drive engines (like the Innodyn & unlike a PT6) run at high rpm during landing & rollout, the prop, when in BETA, blocks more air than usual. This could cause a loss of rudder authority under certain conditions...I would imagine by the time one is slow enough that the prop blanks out the rudder, you could be using differential braking. I think you hit the spot on your last post - with a turbo-prop, there are more tools for the pilot to use to his advantage, and as a result, there are more ways to get in trouble.

Geoff

Great thoughts Geoff and I learn something new every day.

I have been trying to share my thoughts about the PT-6 in our Porters many years ago. I have no real knowledge about the APU turbines going into the Super Cub so I am just learning. I know what I could do with our Porters but I try very hard not to argue with anyone who are far more experienced about what our aircraft could do many years ago.

The way I was taught to fly the Porter would never work with the direct dive engines you wrote about. I was not even aware that the APU engine was direct drive but have always said it was something new to me.
That, to me, would take all the fun out of flying a single engine high perform turbine aircraft.
No wonder there is a difference in ideas.
Thanks for setting me straight.

I don't want to be a naysayer about the Turbine Super Cub. Simply thinking through the implications, should the opportunity arise to fly one.

I have talked to Jon who flys the Innodyn RV. He is quite a pilot, and we have a shared enthusiasm for Cubs. He is the guy that owned the SuperCub with magic marker notes and signatures that captured so much attention years ago at Oshkosh. Also, the back of his hangar has a big stack of bowling balls. I leave it to your imagination to figure out what they are for...

The RV is not flown much between airshows, and Jon says that in his RV/Innodyn demonstrations at Oshkosh that he is required not to use reverse thrust. But he says it will really shine; really impressive flying of the type Ernie talks about with the Porters.

We have gone from 65 horse J-3's to 90, 135, 150 (mine is), 160, 180 and now are about to see 255 horse Super Cubs.

The Radio Control guys at my friends local strip have got a new thing going. A couple of years ago, one, and only one of these guys put enough power on an Extra model such that thrust exceeded weight. He learned to slow fly up to a point 20 feet in front of himself, and rotate the nose up to vertical and hold it with power. It will torque roll slowly, but is absolutely stable as he controls with elevator and rudder alone. To resume flight, he powered up and left verically, pitching over as flying speed was achieved, which he could tell by the ailerons being powerful enough to counter the torque roll.

Like the extra power we have become accostomed to in Super Cubs, now 5 or 6 guys are flying like this at my friends strip with the incredible new planes they have built.

I suppose it is only a matter of time until this is the latest rage in Super Cub flying....

Bob Breeden

Bob Breeden said:
I don't want to be a naysayer about the Turbine Super Cub. Simply thinking through the implications, should the opportunity arise to fly one.

I have talked to Jon who flys the Innodyn RV. He is quite a pilot, and we have a shared enthusiasm for Cubs. He is the guy that owned the SuperCub with magic marker notes and signatures that captured so much attention years ago at Oshkosh. Also, the back of his hangar has a big stack of bowling balls. I leave it to your imagination to figure out what they are for...

The RV is not flown much between airshows, and Jon says that in his RV/Innodyn demonstrations at Oshkosh that he is required not to use reverse thrust. But he says it will really shine; really impressive flying of the type Ernie talks about with the Porters.

We have gone from 65 horse J-3's to 90, 135, 150 (mine is), 160, 180 and now are about to see 255 horse Super Cubs.

The Radio Control guys at my friends local strip have got a new thing going. A couple of years ago, one, and only one of these guys put enough power on an Extra model such that thrust exceeded weight. He learned to slow fly up to a point 20 feet in front of himself, and rotate the nose up to vertical and hold it with power. It will torque roll slowly, but is absolutely stable as he controls with elevator and rudder alone. To resume flight, he powered up and left verically, pitching over as flying speed was achieved, which he could tell by the ailerons being powerful enough to counter the torque roll.

Like the extra power we have become accostomed to in Super Cubs, now 5 or 6 guys are flying like this at my friends strip with the incredible new planes they have built.

I suppose it is only a matter of time until this is the latest rage in Super Cub flying....

Bob Breeden

Bob - What does your friend (Jon) think of the Turbine Super Cub conversion? Why is it that he is not supposed to use reverse thrust? I get conflicting information about this engine, but I always seem to come back to the prop. I am a bit blinded by my enthusiasm for this project, so its always good to read what the naysayers say!

Geoff

Bob Breeden said:

Bob Breeden

Bob
The guy that was working with me on our PT-6 Porter showed me how to do that same maneuver as the RC 300 you told about. For some reason, it sticks in my mind that he used some flap but don't quite understand why. He told me the aircraft was actually mushing horizontal at about 5 knots but it was holding altitude as he wanted. There was no indication of airspeed though since there was no forward speed. We were empty on a return cargo flight and light on fuel. He went into it just as you described and kept adding power until altitude was steady. As I recall from the gauges, he had plenty of power left but this was some 40 years ago at Dahl Creek and minds can play tricks at times.
I tried it many times but could do nothing compared to what he could do.

Geoff
Since I am just learning about the turbine powered Super Cubs this gets very interesting to me.
Reference the use of full reverse props: Is it posable those that are working on the designs might be concerned with the light weight of the tail on a Super Cub?
An example.
In the Katmai area of Alaska, we were using a PT-6 powered Porter on amphib floats to move our fishing guests around out of King Salmon. At one point at a remote camp, the pilot had brought it up near the shore and turned it around. He lifted the water rudders and went into bata to back the floats up on shore. Problem was he added a little too much power and bingo, nose and engine right in the water with the tail sticking straight up. Ruined engine and probably the prop also. Since he was the son of the airline owner, not much was said about it though.

When you stop and think about it, maybe the Super Cub might even have a more critical problem such as this. I suppose under certain conditions and power settings, a person could actually flip a Cub upside down while going into bata.

Just a thought.

Back