• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Was there ever a PA-11 operating manual?

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I have seen a few basic J-3 operating manuals.
And PA-12 manuals, I have one, and even one for the 95 and 150 horse PA-18.

But I have never seen one for the PA-11, or the PA-18-105s and 125s.

Any of you cub historians know about this stuff?????

xx

J3's and PA11's are on the same type certificate and have no official operator's handbook. What they do have is an "Operating Limitations" placard that describes the airspeeds for the particular models, This placard has to be in the aircraft to be legal.
cubsunlimited@verizon.net

cubunltd said:
J3's and PA11's are on the same type certificate and have no official operator's handbook. What they do have is an "Operating Limitations" placard that describes the airspeeds for the particular models, This placard has to be in the aircraft to be legal.
cubsunlimited@verizon.net

It is my understanding that for the 3 and 11 marking the Vne with a red dash on the airspeed indicator satisfies the reg. You also have to placard each strut with "no step" and a weight limit on the baggage compartment. I also plan to decal the fuel tanks with the Auto STC, gallons and grades.

I'm just getting ready to detail my interior on the 11, so I'd be interested in hearing the opinion of others. I'm following what the our Cub experts AP/IAs have advised.

jrussell said:
cubunltd said:
It is my understanding that for the 3 and 11 marking the Vne with a red dash on the airspeed indicator satisfies the reg. You also have to placard each strut with "no step" and a weight limit on the baggage compartment.

The 11 has 2 Vne's making it hard to mark with redline. Hence (I assume) for the op limitations placard. Although it is not referenced in the type specs.

I just had her weighed with the 26 inch tires, cleavland wheels and doble pucks, supercub gear, Atlee Dodge safety cables, supercub seats and baggage, 3200 tail wheel, sealed struts, float fittings, and float plane step. With the 90 horse and a Marvel carb.

It came out to 812 pounds empty weight.

A little heavier than I would have liked, But it was done on new digital scales and we did it twice just to make sure.

The gross weight is 1220 pounds since it is a 1946 and above the serial number cut off.

So my usefull load is legally only 408 pounds. So I am on the slim fast diet as we speak.

When I put her on floats my gross goes up to 1300 pounds.

So I hope that the wheels , gear and tailwheel, brakes and whatever else I can pull off of her weighs a LOT. Then I can add the 170 pounds for floats and still be OK.

The weird thing was that the guy weighed it once and came up with one number and then rolled it back onto the scales and came up with another number. Then he averaged the two numebrs to come up with the weight.
I asked if he could charge me more for the lower number. He would not go for it.

There was a 25 pound difference between the two.

alex, i'm not sure how it works in g.a. but i've weighed one hell of alot of corperate jets in my day, and a 25 lb. weight diff. would constitute a 3rd time weight and bal. i'd have bar-b-q'd, i.a. if he tried some caca-may-mei, 'well we will just slide the c.g. over here, it won't really matter.' crap! especially in a smaller aircraft like that... consider getting yourself a different knuckle-dragger on your pride and joy. it's your butt up there, not his! 25 lbs is a BIG diff. @ 1200 lbs g.w.

Back