• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Is It True?

N5126H

Anchorage, Alaska
Well Alaska is a big place, so I would think that it might be even more in some places considering I was paying $4.00 per Gal last summer in Bristal Bay.

It will easily go that, or better (?) at many of the bush communities where it has to be flown in,..and that's for autogas.

Just checked locally, and avgas here at Dillingham is:
Shannon's Pond $3.18 + Tax
Aleknagik (Moody's Marina) $4.20

For a comparison of the price increase, it was $2.98 at Shannon's in early March.

Rumor has it that it will increase again when another barge comes in.

I paid $3:50 a gallon for auto gas in Sleetmute eight years ago and darn happy to get it. I am sure in other more remote areas the prices would have been higher yet. In Sleetmute they have a river system that allows fuel to be barged in. In Lime Village fuel is flown in with a 206 from Sleetmute hate to think what Lime Village sold fuel for back then.

When you hear of high fuel prices in Alaska it is the remote areas that are really affected but when you consider the methods needed to get it there you can understand why.

Cub_Driver

Yes. Here is a link to the article. All I have to say is:
a11.gif

http://www.adn.com/front/story/5088659p-5016082c.html

Is gasoline expensive? Consider this.

Diet Snapple 16 ozs $1.29 $10.32 per gal
Lipton Iced Tea 16 ozs $1.19 $ 9.52 per gal
Gator Aid 20 ozs $1.59 $10.17 per gal
Ocean Spray 16 ozs $1.25 $10.00 per gal
Brake fluid 12 ozs $3.15 $33.60 per gal
Vicks Nyquil 6 ozs $8.35 $178.13 per gal
Pepto Mismal 4 oz $3.85 $123.20 per gal
White out 7 ozs $1.39 $25.42 per gal
Scope 1.5 ozs $0.99 $84.48 per gal

And here is there real kicker

Evian bottled water 9 ozs $1.49 $21.19 per gal
For water and the consumers don't even know the source?

Just something to ease your pain on your next flight or car trip.

:cheers

Well, if you did drink 4000 gal of GA a year, you would spend too much time on the ground releaveing yourself or be forced to get an STC urinal under the map pocket on the right side like I have.

And as many mistakes that I make typing, I would go broke buying White Out. Thank goodness for the computer or my book would never get finished.

:cheers

I have been away from Alaska for several years now so can anyone tell us why the Alyeska Pipeline is only flowing at 50% of it's 2 million bbls per day capacity?
Gee, wouldn't that extra 42 million gals of crude oil per day do wonders now? And, that would have nothing to do with ANWR.

I remember in the 70s when I was at Prudhoe Bay when there was such a gas shortage, the pipeline was flowing at about 225,000 bbls per day, 1/4 capacity, simply because there was no where to ship the crude to. Every storage facility including ship tankers were all full. Suspect it was a play to raise the cost of crude?

This situation today has to have raised the cost of av gas/jet fuel and car gas in Alaska even from the local refineries such as the one at North Pole even though there is plenty of crude available at the refineries.

Hey I like these petroleum engineering discussions, now I can almost justify using the company's computer to read supercub.org.

The TransAlaska pipeline system rates "came off of pipeline max" in December of 1988.

Why? Decline of the reservoirs which produce into the line. Without doing any sort of work on an oil well, they typically decline in production about 10 to 20% per year. Stimulations can reduce that decline, but they are expensive ($250-750,000) and usually only the first one on a well has a big effect.

Early in field life we drilled enough new "infill" wells to offset the decline, but now that nearly all of the little pockets of rock have a well draining them effectively, there aren't many drilling targets left in the two big fields.

So, for the last 5 or 6 years, most of the "new" oil coming on line has been coming from much smaller reservoirs like Tarn, Alpine, Northstar, Aurora, Borealis etc. The biggest of these is probably Alpine brought on line in 1999-2000 which I think is making a bit over 100,000 BOPD.

With the existing wells in the main field at Prudhoe and the main field at Kuparuk declining by perhaps 100,000 BOPD/year combined (I'm really not sure what this number is, but it's probably +/- 50% of that), you need a lot of little fields and infill drilling to keep up, or a new medium size one every year or so to keep the pipeline rates up.

If you want to know more, let me know
KL

Back