Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Scott Tailwheel not castering to one side

Post Thanks / Like

Scott Tailwheel not castering to one side

Anyone got any advice on this? This occurs when the tailwheel has come round through 270 degrees or so to the left hand side and it sticks and won't come round to trail stright to the rear again.

I've tried filing off a couple of ridges on the inside of the arm assembly (Part No 3214) where I thought the spring might be getting stuck, but no luck.

I'd spoend the $120 on the new arm assembly if I was convinced it would cure the problem. Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks,

BCB

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you disassembled the entire unit and cleaned and relubed it? Inspect it after cleaning something will show up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the spring (prt#3222) that catches the detent. They wear considerably especially if you always turn in one direction. You can knock the pin out and flip it over and see how it works the other way. The detents wear over time and you can feel it as you turn the fork in the lag before the spring 3222 catches the detent.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, chaps, I will take a look at all those things. It's a very clever mechanism.

BCB

Post Thanks / Like
    The last few times I've experienced caster/breakaway to one side but not the other it's been a broken cam inside the casting. This is VERY not good. It's part of my every-time preflight: I can break an aircraft just by looking at it....

Carefully disassemble, make note of parts and sequences, have a copy of the Scott assembly drawing in hand. Be prepared to order some new parts. Don't overlubricate when you reassemble. There's been a very helpful thread here on what to look for.

Had this once from a fresh annual from a guy who claimed to be a tailwheel expert mechanic. I had 37 other extremely unairworthy items on that annual from a basic preflight with no tools....

Best regards. Cubscout