Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Supercub Thrust Line

Post Thanks / Like
    I have got the CC 180hp STC (I know it has the swing out engine mount) on my PA-18-150, would I benefit from the thrustline mod or is it already part of that STC and new engine mount?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not part of the engine mount and if your wing incidence is correct and you are swinging a 1A200 McCauley prop it will make a difference.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks damiens thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the thrustline mod takes a little more to get used to than other mods. Your motor and cowl are obviously elevated and this changes the whole site picture ,especially if you are you have 2000 hrs in the normal config. Add 3 inch gear with 31's and forget looking over the cowl while taxiing. The mod in my opinion is for someone looking to max performance takeoffs from off airport locations , otherwise....
    Likes flylowslow, ron liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I never notice a change in my site picture. I drop the nose bowl down as far as I can above the ring hear and don't really believe I lost any visibility over the nose. It was ready to fly before I thought it was and I would over shoot my landing spot at first till I got use to it.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience after a YOUNG A&P installed the T&Lmod at New Holstein was a bit shorter take off,a couple knots faster airspeed and thecubjust felt lighter, more responsive under power.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    must of been my seat.
    Likes flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was the Thrustline Mod ever STC'd for the -12?? It sounds like it might resolve some of my trim challenges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuporCruiser View Post
    Was the Thrustline Mod ever STC'd for the -12?? It sounds like it might resolve some of my trim challenges.
    Check that the leading edge of the stabilizer sits on the top longeron when trimmed full nose up. Found a local -12 which was not and was nose heavy, Fixed it and trim troubles were gone.
    N1PA
    Thanks StuporCruiser thanked for this post
    Likes StuporCruiser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much.

I'm fairly certain that it does but I'll give a look later today. I think I'm also going to weigh it next week as well. It is new to me and I want to make sure the former owner & I got good info from the builders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StuporCruiser View Post
    Thanks much.

I'm fairly certain that it does but I'll give a look later today. I think I'm also going to weigh it next week as well. It is new to me and I want to make sure the former owner & I got good info from the builders.
    The cross tube which carries the tube connecting the stabilizers which bolts to the trim casting needs to be below the bolts not above. You will need to remove the stabilizers to relocate it. If that is your issue. I'll be curious to learn if that is your issue.
    N1PA
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Every PA12 I have flown needed a lot of trim through different realms of flight.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did the first flight of my Super Cub clone. It flew great except having to carry a good deal of nose down trim. When I reduced power had to start trimming nose up. Say three cranks either way. Stabilizer in neutral trim is level with water line, engine is 90 degrees to the water line, and wing incidence is at 1.4 degrees. Aircraft empty center of gravity is 14 inches aft of leading edge. Every thing in flight is fine. Flys very well hands off, just have to set trim about half of nose down trim. Any ideas of where to look.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by planenuts View Post
    Just did the first flight of my Super Cub clone. It flew great except having to carry a good deal of nose down trim.
    How fast were you flying in this condition? The faster you go, the more nose down trim is needed.
    N1PA
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Running 2350, about 108 MPH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Running 2350, about 108 MPH.
    That's enough to require a lot of nose down trim. Crank it a little more and you may reduce the stabilizer drag enough to get more speed.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did the first flight of my Super Cub clone. It flew great except having to carry a good deal of nose down trim. When I reduced power had to start trimming nose up. Say three cranks either way. Stabilizer in neutral trim is level with water line, engine is 90 degrees to the water line, and wing incidence is at 1.4 degrees. Aircraft empty center of gravity is 14 inches aft of leading edge. Every thing in flight is fine. Flys very well hands off, just have to set trim about half of nose down trim. Any ideas of where to look.
    Thanks
    How are you determining the " waterline"? With the aircraft level (firewall perpendicular to ground) Stabilizer should have 2.5 degrees up travel and 4 degrees down travel. First thing I would do is load it to max gross weight with CG to the back limit and see if you run out of nose down trim (stabilizer up)? Every plane is a little different, you are making great speed for a cub. As long as you can trim with a full and empty load sounds like you are doing well.
    DENNY
    Likes Pete Schoeninger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comments. I have the required travel for the stabilizer, Water line was a laser beam from the tip of the tail post and running with the upper tube of fuselage window ledge left side with the laser set at level. The fuselage was built from the northland plans, so the ledge turned out to be the most level place on the fuselage. It has all the mods, including performance flaps, but only 700x6 tires, so one reason for speed I expect. Will go with larger tires when these get wore some.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume "water line" is the same as the "horizontal reference line" on Piper drawings?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    There are times an asymmetric surface on the Vfin or horizontal has value, As you increase airflow it increases it's counteraction to the forces. Most every plane I have designed and built in the past needed reshaping the horizontal providing nearly no manual trim changes through the flight realm.

The flat tail surfaces on these planes offer no natural changes of lift forces with changes of thrust or airspeed which means you have to adjust it yourself.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone got more contact info for Mark (thrustline) canít get him in the phone number on his site and I donít see another option, cell/email etc.

edit- message machine off or full

Thank you
    Likes toklat$1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cell 9O7232595l
    http://thrustline.com/

Takeoffs are optional--Landings are mandatory