• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

heavy duty header tanks

M1

FRIEND
Vancouver BC Canada
What failure that kills most of the original header tanks?

I am thinking about replacing my header tanks at the same time as we replace all of the rubber gas lines. I've been getting some small bits of material, that looks like it may be a gas line starting to break down.

The header tanks are originals from 1958, and I don't have any record in the log books of the gas lines being replaced. ever!

Header Tanks

The soldered seam that runs the length of the tanks will burst open in a crash. I think there is an AD out on the front tank for this reason. If they have a seam that runs ther lenght of the tank, walk over to the trash can and drop them in. Call Atlee Dodge and order a new set from him. Crash

header tanks

if you need i have a set of atlees header tanks floating around in the shop i don't use them i had a stock front tank open up in flight one time it is not fun to have four lap covered in gas john

Header Tanks

While I know the Cubs' header tanks have been around for a long while, I am going to have Cub Crafters remove them next month. I had the rear header tank slowly leaking over the battery and electrical gear and it just seems better to take them out completely.

http://www.cubcrafters.com/cc/products.asp

We did the Cub Crafters STC to remove the header tanks during the current 18 rebuild. It also has right, left, both settings for the selector. Getting the fuel out if the cabin area (besides fuel lines) sure makes good saftey sense to me. I know a great guy who is very scared from a PA-25 crash that had the fuel tank in the fuselage.

Why does everbody want the header tanks removed from their airplane?
In low fuel situation doesn't it have a function?

The CC STC takes care of the unporting at low fuel level problems with the both position and front fuel pickup point.

I just installed a atlee dodge foward header tank. The header tank craftsmanship is excellent. nice solid aluminum tank. The header tank I removed was leaking were the upper fitting is soldered into the tank.

If you get the Atlee tank you will also need to buy AN fittings

John

Back