• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fine Wire "Iridium" Plugs

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Just curious how many folks are using these fancy fine wire plugs. Here in KC it is the land of plug fouling if you don't stay on top of the mixture.

It is getting to the time of year when just about every training airplane I fly I have to burn the carbon off because the last guy did not lean it.

It has been told/said that the Iridium (based on the cost, they should call them the Plutonium or Diamond Plug) cuts way down on this, makes starting easier, and makes your spouse less cranky about you flying all the time.

Is any of this true?

sj

Steve,
Have a set in the 185. Not sure, but I can't remember ever replacing them. I'm thinking probably 500 hrs. Always starts good. And they are always clean. Pull them out, put em back in.
Wilbur

Wilbur said:
Steve,
Have a set in the 185. Not sure, but I can't remember ever replacing them. I'm thinking probably 500 hrs. Always starts good. And they are always clean. Pull them out, put em back in.
Wilbur

I'd agree 100%, and I think they run smoother too...I like them alot, about a year ago I took them out of the 185 seems like they were in forever, one had finally worn out. I dont remember the hours...I put a regular ones back in as they were the spare set I had but will be replacing them soon with the fine-wire's as I liked the way it ran before better.

David.

If your going to have to put a third mortgage on the house to afford these things, you might think about just replacing the bottom ones. Most of the lead fouling problems are there.
Has anyone tried the new BY plugs? I read somewhere that Champion designed the long nose on them to help with the fouling problem.

The "BY" Projected Core Nose plugs work good on O-235L2C engines that were used on the Cessna 152 and F22 Taylorcrafts. The pipeliner here that I do some work on used to fly a C152 100+ hours a month and it would have lead up to the electrode every time. Definitely a less expensive alternative.

I have the 37BY's in my 150HP O-320-C2A (that's a derated 160HP -B2A - don't ask why I did that!)

They are great with nothing required but a quick clean, spark/pressure test and reinstall with new gaskets. No countless hours of picking at lead build up like the REM38/40's.

Cheers,
Wayne

I should have addressed the original question from Steve J. as well! I have the fine wire plugs in the UTVA's GSO-480 engines and they never seem to get dirty. At $600/set I would have never bought them myself though...they were in there when the airplanes came over from Yugoslavia!

Wayne

Steve,

I have had trouble with fouling, went to the fine wire in the bottom end--the next year i saved up my pop-cans and put them in the top. Have 450 hours on them and they are clean!! We have a local Bush-pilot that runs out a 206 every 2-or-3 years. He does the first 25 hrs on the plugs that come in his re-man, then puts in a set of fine wires and runs the engine out. The word I get is that it' takes about 300 hrs to pay for a set of fine wire plugs if you are part 135 but you don't have to spend hrs cleaning them--I haven't had to touch mine.
Bill :drinking: Maybe, new mex.

Plugs

One A.P. / Bush Pilot I know swears they will give you another 25 to 50 RMP static. Crash

Who makes the Iridium plugs and what plug number for 0-320 Lyc. 150, or 160hp. Tomorrow I'm going to Sun&Fun maybe I can find a good price.

Tim

Champion I believe is the only manufacturer. Best price I have found so far is $56 each!

sj

Back