• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA18 Gear leg length

Propeye

Sorry guys if this has been covered before. I did a search and came up empty-handed! What is the length of the front gear leg on a PA18?
My understanding is: Std. gear=27"; 3" Ext. gear=30"; 6" Ext. gear=33".

Is this the correct length of the gear leg from the bolt center at the top to the bottom of the straight tube?

Thanks in advance. This will hopefully clarify a difference of opinion!

Rich

I took the Piper drawing 10033 off of the Northland CD (which does not show the dimension you asked for) and put it in a 2D program to do the measurement.

Measuring from the centerline of the gearbolt to the top of the axle I get about 26.8", and if you hold a straight line along the top of the upper tube and extend it to the bottom of the axle it's 28.6". Following an imaginary line through the center of the tube to the bottom of the axle I get 28". This is for the gear leg with the 2-3/8" setback from the bearing surface to the leg centerline, the measurements would be very slightly shorter for the 2-1/4" setback.

Sorry I don't have extended gear drawings.

Scott,
Yes, that's very interesting as we've already discussed. Mark, at Univair, also conjfirms the standard gear length of 26+". However, Cubcrafters has repeatedly informed me that this is the length of the 3" Ext. gear.
This is all very confusing. Maybe if I take a nap, when I wake up it will all become clear.
The paperwork on my PA18 sez it has 3" ext.gear. The total gear length is just under 30"(front down tube).

TTruly mysterious!
Rich

Rich, I also spoke with Mark at Univair and got the same answer, I have standard gear accoding to them, 27".

I'll try to find another cub owner this weekend and measure their's.

Try to catch you for some flying.....left your cell number at work.

Personal Mail me with it and I'll do the same.

Scott

Back