• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail wheel spring

supercubdriver

Good morning

What would be the pros and cons of replacing the tail wheel spring on my supercub with a heavier duty 13/4"(?). I have a Scott 3200 tail wheel. By doing this, will it create more stress on the airframe? Is it an easy change over? This thought originated because of the shimmy problem discussed previously on this website. After I tightened the nuts up some, I did notice that the angle of the post bolt was not the recommended angle but the shimmy did not happen on the last few landings.

Thanks
John

Hello

Thanks for the information so far. However, after reading through the information, lots on tail wheel size, but I could not readily see anything on changing over to the larger spring.

Thanks
John

More discussion can be found here (along with some extra stuff about KC ribs):
http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2504&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I bought the CC kit, minus the spring itself. Be sure you read through the thread to the part where we had to go shopping for a different bolt than supplied, it's a lot easier to do these things ahead of time.

BTW, it turns out that the CC STC is written to allow a <u>four</u> leaf 1-3/4" spring, not a three leaf. That's what I have now, and I'm happy with it.

Crash suggests that a good way to go is a three leaf 1-3/4" spring. Thing is, the CC STC doesn't cover that, at least according to a careful reading of the paperwork, and calls to CC (not by me, by an A&P). If that's not right, I'd like to know it. If there's an STC that covers a three leaf 1-3/4" spring, I'd like to know that too.

Back