Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: 406.025 ELT alternatives - who besides Artex?

Post Thanks / Like

406.025 ELT alternatives - who besides Artex?

I'm facing a replacement of my ELT, and I'm wondering what my alternatives are for a 406.025 MHz unit. So far, the only one I've found information on is the Artex G406. Anyone know of any others?

I know about the nifty EPIRBs and PLBs, but those are not activated by an impact, and do not satisfy the legal requirement for an ELT. I could just go with one of the many 121.5/243 MHz ELTs, but they won't be much good in a real accident when satellite coverage is terminated in five years.

Here's a link to the Artex spec, I got it from the Consumer Aviation article published last summer:
    http://www.artex.net/3_freq_beacons.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron I researched this a few years ago and Airtex was the only supplier I found. They were real pricey too. Air Tractor built some planes to spray popppy fields in South America. They had them installed in those planes. Of course the govornment was footing the bill armor plate, HSI and all.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Real pricey is right. The lithium battery, which has to be replaced every four or five years, costs about the same as the 121.5/243 MHz ELTs. Thing is, it sounds like the 406.025 ELTs actually have a much greater chance of doing some good. If you're going to have one it would be nice to have one that works when you need it.

Probably what I should do is just go ahead and get a 121.5/243, but not crash until 2009 when it would seem that the Artex G406 should have some new competition.

Post Thanks / Like
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Ameri-King AK-451, all the same features, the company was good to deal with and I ordered from them well below retail and it comes in at 1 lb 14oz. All of there different models was a bit confusing to me, that's when I picked up the phone and called them and got the factory direct price. I'll check on the exact $ I paid this summer. http://www.ameri-king.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Put in what works and what makes you happy. But consider buying a 406 that interfaces with a GPS, or has one built in. This will narrow the search area even more. Hopefully that will speed up the arrival time.

Web

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I been installing the ACK ones http://www.ackavionics.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with ACK. They're about the least expensive but still offer features, like connecting to almost any GPS

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the Artex ME 406 and ME 1000 types. I like the way they build their cases. You'd have to open them up and compare them to other brands but I feel that they are stronger and better sealed than most others. The ME 406 does not interface though the ME 1000 does.

A couple of tips: Installation is more important than brand. The mounts need to be very rigid with the newer styles that use accelerometers instead of G-switches. Also, the self test function in the ELT does NOT take the place of the testing required by 91.207. Since the 406 mhz signal cannot be heard on an AM radio, the only way the signal strength and frequency can be measured is with a test box.

Web