• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Project........

CptKelly

GONE WEST
NC
I happened to run across a PA-18 project today. Its all there, but disassembled. In addtion, it has new sealed struts and a new windshield.
The owner said that he bought it, thinking to restore it at a later time, but never got any logs on either the airframe or engine- they were not available. There is a N number visible, and the owner said he had the FAA files, whatever that is.
Now my question: If this aircraft is restored, how would one obtain a new Certificate of Airworthiness, and what about the missing logs?
What should something like this be worth, anyway?

Mike in NC

Is the aircraft and n-number registered to the present owner, If so and you have a serial number I think you could contact Clyde Smith for the "in house" airframe serial number, and then get a new, legal data tag from piper. Also I think if you could get the tag you can get a new Airworthiness Cert. issued, we once bought an L-4 with no Airworthiness Cert. and our mechanic got us a new one issued.

On the no logs part I've seen Cubs annualed after rebuild without logs and they just started a new book, and I've been told by a different mechanic that if you buy a project with no logs that a "conformity inspection" would have to be performed, so I'm not sure on this.

If you have the serial number you can order the CD from the FAA which has a record of all previous registered owners as well as all form 337s issued to that aircraft. There is actually quite a bit of information available on the CD, especially if a lot of mods were done to it.

Ursa Major said:
If you have the serial number you can order the CD from the FAA which has a record of all previous registered owners as well as all form 337s issued to that aircraft. There is actually quite a bit of information available on the CD, especially if a lot of mods were done to it.

I got one of those CD's on a J-3 I had, and it was VERY informative, a lot more info than most any log books I've seen for a Cub.

I take it this SC needs a ground up including engine teardown. Make sure the present owner is the registered owner and get a Bill of Sale. Do the work and document everything. The FAA will have to do a conformity inspection to prove it is what you say it is and that it meets the Type Certificate Data Sheets and that all the ADs are complied with and then can issue a new airworthiness certificate. I have gotten new airworthiness certificates that were lost simply by showing the log books. Talk to your local FSDO to be sure how they go about it.

PA-18 project......

Steve,
I doubt the current owner is the last registered owner. He bought it to restore later, but didn't get started on it and got cold feet. There is a N number visible on the fabric. I have not seen this aircraft, but I will in a couple of weeks. I expect the serial number is on the data plate, but it too could be missing? Where is the data plate located on a PA-18 and PA-12? The only thing I have been told is that its complete including the engine, has no aircraft or engine logs or A/W certificate, and that the airframe has been professionally repaired with a new tailpost and some repairs on tubing, and then epoxy primed. Essentially, I am told the fuselage is ready for cover.
Again, whats it worth? (the engine is a 0-290).

Mike in NC

Mike,
Make sure it has a data plate. And make sure the N number isn't flying around somewhere else on another airplane (that might have the data plate). If the identity is missing (or reassigned) you may not even be able to register it as experimental. Cuby???
SB

I was waiting for one of the resident experts to answer, but. When I asked that question of Piper they told me under the pilots seat. I don't remember all of the details but to the best of my recollection it has been placed several places over the years. I'm sure if you wait a little while somebody smarter than me will chime in and give you more detail.

I've seen them on the floor board in front of the pilot's seat and screwed to the sheet metal on the back of the baggage compartment. Not sure where Piper put it. I know the fuselage frame number is on the upper deck cross brace tube on some and the tube behind the panel on others.

i wouldn't touch anything unless it came from the last certified owner with a bill of sale. or you might find yourself restoring a plane only to have to hand it over to someone else after it is finished.

Re: Where is.......

CptKelly said:
Guys,
Where is the data plate located on the airframe in a Supercub and PA-12?

Under the pilot's seat near the right rear leg for all but the early PA-18's they were in the tail -left rear trim tower post, and cubcrafters are under the right Horiz stab.

Back