Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Lifting supercubs

Post Thanks / Like

Lifting supercubs

What is the most common procedure for lifting up supercubs when changing the bungee cords? Where and equiptment?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use jacks that screw to the bottom engine mounts and lift the entire plane at one time but have also lifted from the top engine mounts with a strap and an engine hoist. I also have the Attlee Dodge lift rings on the top of the wings which works well.

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lifting supercubs

Quote Originally Posted by 94SUPER18
    What is the most common procedure for lifting up supercubs when changing the bungee cords? Where and equiptment?
    I used a come-a-long between the axles and supported the heavy wing with a ladder and padding...

Post Thanks / Like
    Our method is similar to Cuby's. Couple guys lift up the wing at the strut attachment. Chain the gear together while you have the bungee out for replacement.

http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewt...ghlight=#17387

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a slot in the end of a two by four so that the outer front strut fits in the slot and the tie-down is against the flat side of the 2x4, and cut to a length that lets it come down to a few inches above the floor, where a floor jack is inserted under it to lift it, the wing, and all the rest. Crude, but expedient. The slot has to be deep enough to prevent the 2x4 from slipping ! I've also used a towing strap around the upper engine mounts with the come-along previously mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a prop sling and engine hoist. Tie a weight to the opposite wing I am pulling the bungee off.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    No matter how you hoist it, I put chain in the same location as the hydra-sorb and lower strut. If you count and use the same number of links for each side it will sit level and is safe to roll around, with no need of something under the heavy wing.

I personally use a cherry-picker engine hoist with a strap around the top of the engine mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful. So no problem picking up the super with an engine hoist and holding there, I was concerned that the engine lift ring was not suitable for the aircraft weight. I like the chain idea. What size chain works best and two pieces how long? Thanks.

On line Music tip for the day. Its from Las Vegas.

http://www.clubfmradio.com/index22.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I hoist from the engine mount, not the lifting ring!

Buy one piece of chain and just let a loop hang at the middle. 8' is plenty and the size doesn't have to be giant but I wouldn't use the little stuff that you'd hang a porch swing with. (Welded chain not twisted wire chain)

Post Thanks / Like
    roger!

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine lift ring is not strong enough to lift the entire plane so be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gaston
    The engine lift ring is not strong enough to lift the entire plane so be careful.
    You wouldn't be the first guy who tore the top off his crankcase and dropped the plane on the floor. Be careful where you tie on the engine mount if you use this method, don't bent it. Be careful lifting on the wing strut attachments, they were never meant to take that type of load.

Best method, and the one that I use, is Atlee lift rings on a overhead chainfall with high wing aircraft jacks under the tiedowns to stabilize the plane. You can't be to careful, think of how stupid you will feel if you drop a plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub MD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Gaston
    You wouldn't be the first guy who tore the top off his crankcase and dropped the plane on the floor. Be careful where you tie on the engine mount if you use this method, don't bent it. Be careful lifting on the wing strut attachments, they were never meant to take that type of load.

Best method, and the one that I use, is Atlee lift rings on a overhead chainfall with high wing aircraft jacks under the tiedowns to stabilize the plane. You can't be to careful, think of how stupid you will feel if you drop a plane.

What he said.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built a simple wing jack 25years ago onto the 'Hi-lift' jack that is basically a pice of 2" pipe about 4-5 feet long with a clevis u welded and padded at the top. It fits between the strut attach and the strut fork and you set it at 90 degree angle to the strut. (this is the best way to do it if you don't have an overhead lift point and float attach lifting eyes) I built this for putting on and off skiis at the tie downs.

Be sure to keep the tail and the other wing tied down. I also took a piece of 3/4 sq tube and made a solid link to replace the strut/bungee then you can set the wing back down while you are changing out the unit (one at a time)

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like it works well, any concerns about wind? Also has anyone thought about putting the foot of the farm jack under either the fwd or rear hinge point of the gear? that way one would not have to jack as far maybe (more stable).

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve would it overstress the opposite wing if one were to cinch down the tie down line on the opposite wing to hold the wing angle at 45 deg and perhaps block it up?

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    Also has anyone thought about putting the foot of the farm jack under either the fwd or rear hinge point of the gear? that way one would not have to jack as far maybe (more stable).
    Dakota cub sells/gives away?? stc for a jack point under there somewhere..... someone got a link to it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ill contact Dakota Cub, don!t need the stc as mine is exp cub Thanks Cliff

Post Thanks / Like
    And if you're going to use the lifting rings, ALWAYS use a spreader bar to avoid pulling those lift rings right together. It is VERY easy to fold those wings right up as you fold up that top deck.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    http://dakotacub.com/index.php?optio...play_id=156all all i could find, sounds like a good price though

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    And if you're going to use the lifting rings, ALWAYS use a spreader bar to avoid pulling those lift rings right together. It is VERY easy to fold those wings right up as you fold up that top deck.

MTV

?????? to prevent breaking the skylight.... but you really think it could hurt something????

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    ?????? to prevent breaking the skylight.... but you really think it could hurt something????
    Yep, watched it done as a seiner hoisted a Cub aboard the aft deck.....no spotter for that outfit the rest of the season.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Yep, watched it done as a seiner hoisted a Cub aboard the aft deck.....no spotter for that outfit the rest of the season.

MTV
    hmmmm.. wouldn't think it possible... but ok.... floats full off water and full fuel?? hmmm...

hmmmm ok now i get it, a SHORT cable between eyes, picked up in center..... Mine are all long cables V's.... thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    If lifting by a prop sling you can teeter tooter the airplane with two fingers. It will rest on the opposite tire with very little ballast.

Here is the jacking lug from Dakota Cub.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I just take a small jack and jack at the center of the cabane vee. I took a piece of 1/8" control cable and nicopressed 2 ends to make it the length of the shock strut. Jack it up, pull the shock strut off, put the cable in place of the strut with the same bolts and lower it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to post just the picture sans words but got an error for too few words.....sounds like my wife

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lifting_eyes3.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	803.2 KB 
ID:	9160
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the process of installing 3" extended gear on my SC. Has anyone used the Atlee Dodge wing jacks? Looks like a simple way to lift the plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lift straps(OSHA approved!) Center cluster at spar for J-3Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013pullout.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	546.4 KB 
ID:	10157

Post Thanks / Like
    As I am BETA testing a new type shock strut that has FOX shock absorbers along with bungees, I have been taking my shock struts off on and a lot lately. For my experiment, which has cub type gear, I use a Warn "Pullzall hand held" electric winch I already had laying around. I drilled two holes in the inboard lower axle socket (I have 1 1/2" hollow axles, but with the skis on they are filled with the ski mounts, otherwise I'd just run a chain or cable through them) and insert a AN-4 bolt that holds a short length of chain, that the portable winch rigs to. It is very easy to unload the gear legs to take the shock struts off (one at a time, I learned my lesson there....) as the winch has a varible speed trigger. No jacking of the wing or other lifting of the airplane required, though I used to do it that way. A regular comalong works too of course, the winch is shorter coupled and just more convinent.

Best of all, when on the skis I now carry the short lengths of chain and 2 bolts, so now I have a good way to tow the plane forward with a rope bridle, if I ever need to/when I need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    hmmmm.. wouldn't think it possible... but ok.... floats full off water and full fuel?? hmmm...

hmmmm ok now i get it, a SHORT cable between eyes, picked up in center..... Mine are all long cables V's.... thanks!
    Mike,

No water in floats, or at least not more than usual. This airplane had the original style top deck. They used a fairly short bridle, which puts a tremendous amount of stress on that top deck. With the top deck X'd???? I dunno, but EVERY mechanic I've ever worked with lifting planes to put them on or take off floats uses a spreader bar to prevent this, on Cubs, Cessnas, and everything else.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    spreader bar needed due to loads at different angles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle_force.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	10164  
    Likes Backpacker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For ACA folks...

I would use a spreader bar too. Also, I have 35 gallons on each side which makes for some interesting lateral stability issues! Cross feeding can make the aircraft swing dangerously.

I drain fuel to at least 0.05 (empty) before lifting on the crane for float/ski changes!
    2018 R44
    IA/A&P, ATP, SES, CFII, MEI, Rotor PPL (2500 TT)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI48e1heuo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 4WF View Post
    Looks like I'm not the only (certified) rigger here.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gtwingman View Post
    I am in the process of installing 3" extended gear on my SC. Has anyone used the Atlee Dodge wing jacks? Looks like a simple way to lift the plane.
    Wing jack works for me. While the below picture doesn’t directly address installing gear, the jack works well during ski/wheel switching. Thanks for the tip on Atlee Dodge jack, looks worthwhile.
    In hindsight, wish I’d learned of and then bought Atlee’s jack. But I enjoy the slower and more expensive method, and instead copied a Glennallen homemade jack when needing a wing jack awhile back. While the pictured jack was made in the same configuration, the Glennallen version was made of an old bumper jack and much lighter. And Atlee’s looks wisely bolted together, ours is intentionally welded to prevent me removing the pipe contraption and taking the jack moose hunting, thus creating a slowdown in the future gear change process due to looking for the jack and the disassembled pipe contraption. I used sharpened bolts as ice studs on the base plate, the copied jack base had expanded metal tack welded on.

Name:	2013 Ski Install.JPG 
Views:	253 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	10171

Good luck
    Dwayne
    Last edited by ER Upgrade; 02-05-2013 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Two many pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim 4WF View Post
    great visualization picture!

Post Thanks / Like
    Works great in the bush but makes me nervous in the hanger. I use a spreader bar and chain hoist in the ceiling.

Name:	101_9259.JPG 
Views:	1149 
Size:	321.8 KB 
ID:	10174
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_9258.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	656.6 KB 
ID:	10173  
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m thinking of making a tractor jack setup like the ones pictured above. Does anyone have a close up pic of the end piece they’ve made and how that piece locks into (does it lock in? Maybe not) the tie down or won’t slip as it’s supporting the wing strut?

I couldnt quite see and and zoom in enough on the two photos above.

cheers
    jeff