• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Husky flying characteristics

Maybe because we all started out flying Super Cubs.......and then realized something was missing.

Or maybe because we all like to argue. J. C. GTF

Dang, Meadowlark-there you go getting them all riled up again.

Shhhh!!

They haven't even noticed that a lot of the images on this site actually contain subliminal Husky presence.

Don't poke them, though, you'll find out they just love the opportunity.

:angel:

MTV

Isn't there a Husky.org somewhere for you guys to go. It seems for the last two years there's been a Husky thread on this site???? Go figure. I think Husky's are a piece of crap. Crash

If I was an executive at Husky, I'd sponor the Iditarod. Husky's sponsoring Huskies. Then I'd get several sponsored Husky's to fly support for the race. Goodwill, good press, and a good opportunity to gain some respect. What better venue could there be for an aircraft that's targeted at "Bush" ops. Maybe they could team-up with Cabela's. Then Husky could release a "Cabela's Edition." Think of the possibilities.

But then...maybe Husky's are targeted toward the anti-dog mushing PETA crowd.

SB

Crash,

Husky types only come over here because they know it annoys you. Its as good a reason as any.

Oh, and it seems to me that this is a great site for a lot of information, much of which relates more to where the Cub works best. There's no whining about Ernie's posting of numerous non Cub related posts, which is fine with me. There's posts on Cessna aircraft periodically, and thats fine too.

The Cub, the Scout and the Husky are the only airplanes in this class right now. So, why wouldn't we discuss them all? They all have strong points (get in a Scout at -40 and fly for six hours), and they all have weak points. I think its pretty informative to explore all of them.

Okay, I violated my own rule, so let er rip,

MTV

Husky drivers.

I beleive most people see the average cub loaded with ifr equipment and a non aggressive pilot flying them.Once in awhile a true cub pilot is seen in a properly equipped cub flying and they are amazed.Remember you guys that really fly them,down here in the lower 48 most cubs are equipped like a 210 and flown on tar.Most of the real expensive cubs dont fly like one.I really beleive most people that have cubs dont know what they are missing by loading them up with garbage.Light weight mods and safety equipment are #1 priorities when we build a cub.Just a thought from a half ass pilot.Although i am instrument rated i never plan on using a cub as an instrument platform.I will never put paint over my fabric.I wont ride a yamaha motorcycle.Like the tee shirt says ,if you have to ask you just would'nt understand.

Phil,

Don't drink lite beer either.

As for who is welcome here? I have to with Mike on this one this site has evolved into less about SuperCubs and more about people pursing a recreational (and sometimes a business, but often a recreation business) form of flying. In a sense it is "destination" flying. The trip is a lot of the fun, but it is the places you can go that you can't go in a Mooney.

Certainly like politics, religion, and anything else, there are differences of opinions both about flying characteristics, heritage, looks, and about dollar value. If we all agreed perfectly on everything, this would be a very boring place, wouldn't it?

I enjoy the spirited discussions about the differences when there is some thought put into it, "huskys suck" without any explanation seems more like a subjective argument than a empirical one, just as "cubs are better" does the same.

As for Husky.org (a site about dogs), http://www.taildragger.info/Yabb/ which is the husky site and husky mailing list site, I understand it is pretty active - at least the mailing list portion. But I have not followed any of the converstaion.

A great number of people on this site are truly blessed with the ability to fly into some of the most spectacular places in the world (and I do mean the whole world) at a moments notice. A lot more of us get to fly into some really nice places, yet the greatest group must live vicariously from the adventures of others, and dream, about someday having the opportunity to follow that path.

sj

I think I said it before - some of us non-computer types find other formats less than usable, and this one so user-friendly that it begs use. The enthusiasm of contributors is a large part of its usefulness, and when you add that to the ability to pull up an entire thread and read it all at once, without clutter in your e-mail, it's a winner.
The J-3 site is just as easily used, but the enthusiasm isn't there yet. I don't know why.
The various Husky sites are, for me, just about unusable, because you have to do so much searching around to follow a thread.
The Decathlon site uses the same format, but requires a sign-in prior to reading anything, and again lacks the enthusiasm.
I was a member of a "list serve" for a year - really good info, but it filled my in-box every day with hundreds of messages, each of which required separate access. Totally useless.
I really benefitted from this thread. In fact, I am not sure I could have done without the info provided by folks with Cub and Husky experience, like Mike and others. Thanks to all of you, for the kind sharing of your experience and for allowing non-Cub discussions.

Ok....I guess I'll be nasty. Crash, weren't you the one asking about P-Ponk engines on another thread? What do C-180's and P-Ponk have to do with Super Cubs? That is a question better asked on discussions@skywagons.org

Enough for being nasty. This site is valuable for the diversity of experience, the willingness to experiment and then share the success and failures. There is quite a bit on the Husky site as well, but the skywagon site is pretty narrowly skywagons, and fear of the FAA.

What we are talking about is aircraft with their gear in the right place. That creates more simularity (among men.....and women) than differences in size or weight.

J. C. GTF

Meadowlark
You'd have to go way back to understand the intricacies of this site. Two things are taboo on this site. Maule's and Husky's-You can only talk about them in a derogatory way. Anything else is fair game. Nothing personal, just the way it is.
Brian

"Maule Like Nasties"???

Last week, I had an opportunity to fly a nearly new Maule M7-235B. I too have noticed the "new prop, and recent tear down inspection" reports in the Trade-a-Plane ads for the Maules. I too have thought the Maules were short coupled, and had long heavy noses, and were probably prone to nosing over.
None of this is true, they are pussycats. I was taking off and landing from both grass and pavement within 15 minutes of flight time. The thing was a rocket too, indicating 150mph at high cruise (if you don't mind the fuel burn). I was happy to learn that the M7, in reality, is an easy tailwheel, and doesn't deserve any bad reputation. Take offs are a blast as well, and that big powerful 0-540 really pulls. The only negative things I saw were a rather hard entry, and kinda tight cabin.

My 2 cents worth.

Mike

For the Husky haters who frequent this site: Have you guys ever even seen a Husky, much less flown one? There have been some pretty wild posts lately with no basis in reality whatsoever, alleging all sorts of "facts" about the Husky that are absolutely and ridiculously untrue.
You guys need to wake up and smell the avgas. My suspicion is that the anti-Husky sentiment is actually misdirected class envy. What you guys need to do is deal with your hatred of those you perceive as better off than you. Just because somebody else has the desire and the wherewithal to spring for a Husky while you're picking through cub wrecks for parts doesn't make you a better pilot or a better person. Nor does landing on a gravel bar with balloon tires after scud-running under a 500-ft overcast layer.

Like money itself, the Husky and the Super Cub are inanimate objects that don't care who owns them. They don't assume the personality of their owners. For anyone interested in the Husky, there is a lot of good information available. It's clear, however, that very little of this information is coming from Super Cub owners who want to feel better about themselves at somebody else's expense.

Better off than me.

I beleive most of us have the where with all to buy a husky.I think most of us here on a supercub site are quite partial to supercubs.Thats why we are here.I dont mind husky drivers posting here, kinda enjoy it. Think about a chevy nut going to a ford site and bragging about their chevy.If i thought a husky was beter i would have one.Its just my opinion.I do not go to the husky sites and claim cubs are better,but on a cub site husky drivers shouldnt think they are going to convince anybody their plane out performs a cub. I sure wouldnt be upset about it.I would expect flak if i were on a husky site telling you guys how cubs are as good or better than a husky. We are all very partial to our planes. P.S. Pritchfield, have you ever seen a takeoff competition like greenville.The pa 12 suck up the huskys on floats, then the pa 18's suck up the 12's. If you can finally get a husky to win greenville i will buy one. Did a husky ever win in gulkana?.

Pzinck, a lie about an aircraft is still a lie, even if it is posted on supercub.org. As for "winning Greenville," I'm drawing a blank. Am I correct to assume that this a STOL competition of some sort? If this is the case, I'm certain that pilot skill and ambient weather conditions are as important as the aircraft type used, and basing an aircraft buying decision on the outcome of said competition could prove a mistake if day-to-day flying is your goal. I've seen airplanes modified for STOL events and have a hunch that they've sacrificed a lot in return for near-vertical flight capability. Perhaps an active STOL competitor could fill us in on the details.

As for whether Husky fans are welcome on supercub.org, I think we ought to be, because we enjoy the same style of flying and can benefit from each other's experience. Having followed this site for several years now, I've never seen a Husky owner show anything but reverence for the Super Cub and respect for its owners. In contrast, some SC'ers on this site have have taken militant anti-Husky stance that's wildly inappropriate considering our common interest. Super Cub pilots should regard Husky pilots as friends and allies, not as rivals.

prichfield19, if you have been following this site for years, you should know most of this talk is "fun and ribbing" :agrue:

Lance :D

I looked at the Husky site once. All I saw was a bunch of Maule bashing and other boring stuff. I fell asleep. I think Husky's are better compared to 180's, anyway. Well, except they're slower. And smaller. And can't carry as much. But in the hands of a good pilot they perform almost as well.

Why is it again that people buy them?

(Lighten up. I'm kidding.)

SB

Another thing about most cub people.

People in general i know who fly cubs are different.Unlike many other aviation types.They can actually change a flat tire,instead of waiting for aaa.They would probably build their own hangar or contribute building it.They mow their own lawn.They do not live in condos.They do not wear tacky clothes with their n number on it.They change their own oil in their plane.They assist in their annual or lots are ia's or a&p's.They would rather be on a remote pond,than a fly in.I guess lots of cubbers seem to be mcgyvers.I find this a good bunch of people in general.Most cubbers help their friends with there planes.Most cubbers dont wear flight jackets or 200.00 sunglasses. I do not think condos ,paying other people to mow your lawn or these other things are bad.It just seem that cubbers are down to earth people.Some of the other groups dont even want to say hello.I love the people who when getting close to their plane say dont touch that.I guess im the opposite, if its a kid ill ask them if they want a ride or like to sit in one of mine.If its a pilot ill tell em to take her for a ride if they are competent.I like stopping in f b o 's (dressed like 50 cents), i listen to most of them tell each other how important they are.sometimes a snooty kid will ask me what i want, ill tell em im thinking of taking lessons sometime.Some of them stick their nose up at me,and say its expensive.I guess my old man telling me all his life that he didnt need shiny nickels to feel important stuck. I guess ill stick with the cubbers as opposed to those with the where with all to buy shiny huskies.I will also befriend the husky owner that treats a bum like me like a human being.Pritchfield i dont think anyone here is jealous of you.These people really beleive cubs are the cats meow.

Supercubber said:
In this day and age I think there are a bunch of yuppy cub owners who probably couldn't start a lawnmower if they owned one, have no idea how to change a tire, oil or anything else for that matter.

The good old boy cub pilots you describe are probably those who pay $90,000 or less for their cubs, flying and maintaining them on a regular basis.

And then you have the docs, lawyers and whoever paying the 100,000-160,000 for a cub just to say they have one even if they have no idea on how to use it.

Supercubber, I have been thinking a lot about what you said up there, and while I can't disagree, I wonder if it is a good or bad thing for cubs in general? I'll admit to being late in the supercub game, and actually the flying game, but I also believe that if new folks don't continue to perpetuate the appreciation of these type aircraft, eventually, it will be real hard to get parts - among other things.

I have seen people actually change the way they think about flying after serveral lessons in the supercub. It is one of the greatest pleasures I get from instructing. Not all get to act on it. I suspect ( I will never know, that's for sure) one of the problems of making huge amounts of money and being able to buy whatever you want is that you don't have anytime to use it. Like Jay Leno and his motorcycles, or Bill Gates and his million dollar porsche.

I can't fault the romance and appreciation these people feel, but certainly agree that if they could get in the plane, get some great cub instruction (which is now available both down here and up in the 49th) , and go to some great places (where folks like you are fortunate enough to get to work!), they might find more time for the flying part, and less time for golf and making money.

I know that everytime there is a little breeze and I take off before the runway starts in the little supercub there is a guy in a King Air or Citation watching and dreaming about it. Sometimes so much that they comment on the tower frequency. I like to share that with as many folks as I can, be they yuppies, dinks, painters, plumbers (actually yuppies), or kids - and hope they too catch the bug.

One day when I took off with the amphibs the guy in the tower said, "4CC, Where you going today?" before I could answer he added "I wanna go"...

sj

Amen. Get em all hooked on Super Cubs.

P.S. Jay drives all his cars and motorcycles. Buddy of mine just got back from Jay's 90,000 square foot garage and they drove several of his prize possessions.

Maybe some of us are just sick and tired of fixing airplanes instead of flying them. As with all things in life, the cost is the same. You can pay for it up front (new) or you can repair it. New you get to fly it......sometimes waiting for the parts to repair it can take forever.

I, for one, am having great joy in going out to the hangar any time I want and just getting in the airplane and going for a ride. 15 minutes or two hours. Just add gas! J. C. GTF

The thing with even a new Husky is that the general maintenance time/cost is going to soon catch up with the old Cub and actually be more of a pain than the Cub. You start to get the first inkling of this when you tear apart the airplane for its annual. TEN BAZILLION machine screws!

Cub parts from multiple suppliers are going to come faster and cheaper than trying to get parts from Wyoming.

I know you'll like your new Husky Meadowlark, it's a good airplane, I fly and work on a newer A-1B quite a bit and think it rides through turbulence better. (the back seat is for sure more comfortable - at least compared with a stock narrow body Cub - so passengers tend to be complacent) But when I can get back into my own again (hopefully not too far down the trail) I'll go back to a Super Cub. They are just that much better in their flying qualities, ease of maintenance and load hauling.

I agree with your sentiments Steve - It's great fun to get a heavy iron or fast mover driver excited about low and slow on floats and skis. It's a whole new perspective for them and they always emerge with a grin on their face.

Brad

Hey, doesn't Chuck Yeager own a Husky? I hear he's a pretty good pilot.
Now there's a Husky owner I admire. I don't envy him, but I do admire him.
SB

Back