Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Husky flying characteristics

StewartB
    I looked at the Husky site once. All I saw was a bunch of Maule bashing and other boring stuff. I fell asleep. I think Husky's are better compared to 180's, anyway. Well, except they're slower. And smaller. And can't carry as much. But in the hands of a good pilot they perform almost as well.

Why is it again that people buy them?

(Lighten up. I'm kidding.)

SB

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing about most cub people.

People in general i know who fly cubs are different.Unlike many other aviation types.They can actually change a flat tire,instead of waiting for aaa.They would probably build their own hangar or contribute building it.They mow their own lawn.They do not live in condos.They do not wear tacky clothes with their n number on it.They change their own oil in their plane.They assist in their annual or lots are ia's or a&p's.They would rather be on a remote pond,than a fly in.I guess lots of cubbers seem to be mcgyvers.I find this a good bunch of people in general.Most cubbers help their friends with there planes.Most cubbers dont wear flight jackets or 200.00 sunglasses. I do not think condos ,paying other people to mow your lawn or these other things are bad.It just seem that cubbers are down to earth people.Some of the other groups dont even want to say hello.I love the people who when getting close to their plane say dont touch that.I guess im the opposite, if its a kid ill ask them if they want a ride or like to sit in one of mine.If its a pilot ill tell em to take her for a ride if they are competent.I like stopping in f b o 's (dressed like 50 cents), i listen to most of them tell each other how important they are.sometimes a snooty kid will ask me what i want, ill tell em im thinking of taking lessons sometime.Some of them stick their nose up at me,and say its expensive.I guess my old man telling me all his life that he didnt need shiny nickels to feel important stuck. I guess ill stick with the cubbers as opposed to those with the where with all to buy shiny huskies.I will also befriend the husky owner that treats a bum like me like a human being.Pritchfield i dont think anyone here is jealous of you.These people really beleive cubs are the cats meow.

Post Thanks / Like
    pzinck, I hope I get the privilege of meeting you and shaking your hand some day.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Supercubber
    In this day and age I think there are a bunch of yuppy cub owners who probably couldn't start a lawnmower if they owned one, have no idea how to change a tire, oil or anything else for that matter.

The good old boy cub pilots you describe are probably those who pay $90,000 or less for their cubs, flying and maintaining them on a regular basis.

And then you have the docs, lawyers and whoever paying the 100,000-160,000 for a cub just to say they have one even if they have no idea on how to use it.
    Supercubber, I have been thinking a lot about what you said up there, and while I can't disagree, I wonder if it is a good or bad thing for cubs in general? I'll admit to being late in the supercub game, and actually the flying game, but I also believe that if new folks don't continue to perpetuate the appreciation of these type aircraft, eventually, it will be real hard to get parts - among other things.

I have seen people actually change the way they think about flying after serveral lessons in the supercub. It is one of the greatest pleasures I get from instructing. Not all get to act on it. I suspect ( I will never know, that's for sure) one of the problems of making huge amounts of money and being able to buy whatever you want is that you don't have anytime to use it. Like Jay Leno and his motorcycles, or Bill Gates and his million dollar porsche.

I can't fault the romance and appreciation these people feel, but certainly agree that if they could get in the plane, get some great cub instruction (which is now available both down here and up in the 49th) , and go to some great places (where folks like you are fortunate enough to get to work!), they might find more time for the flying part, and less time for golf and making money.

I know that everytime there is a little breeze and I take off before the runway starts in the little supercub there is a guy in a King Air or Citation watching and dreaming about it. Sometimes so much that they comment on the tower frequency. I like to share that with as many folks as I can, be they yuppies, dinks, painters, plumbers (actually yuppies), or kids - and hope they too catch the bug.

One day when I took off with the amphibs the guy in the tower said, "4CC, Where you going today?" before I could answer he added "I wanna go"...

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Amen. Get em all hooked on Super Cubs.

P.S. Jay drives all his cars and motorcycles. Buddy of mine just got back from Jay's 90,000 square foot garage and they drove several of his prize possessions.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some of us are just sick and tired of fixing airplanes instead of flying them. As with all things in life, the cost is the same. You can pay for it up front (new) or you can repair it. New you get to fly it......sometimes waiting for the parts to repair it can take forever.

I, for one, am having great joy in going out to the hangar any time I want and just getting in the airplane and going for a ride. 15 minutes or two hours. Just add gas! J. C. GTF

Post Thanks / Like
    [delete

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing with even a new Husky is that the general maintenance time/cost is going to soon catch up with the old Cub and actually be more of a pain than the Cub. You start to get the first inkling of this when you tear apart the airplane for its annual. TEN BAZILLION machine screws!

Cub parts from multiple suppliers are going to come faster and cheaper than trying to get parts from Wyoming.

I know you'll like your new Husky Meadowlark, it's a good airplane, I fly and work on a newer A-1B quite a bit and think it rides through turbulence better. (the back seat is for sure more comfortable - at least compared with a stock narrow body Cub - so passengers tend to be complacent) But when I can get back into my own again (hopefully not too far down the trail) I'll go back to a Super Cub. They are just that much better in their flying qualities, ease of maintenance and load hauling.

I agree with your sentiments Steve - It's great fun to get a heavy iron or fast mover driver excited about low and slow on floats and skis. It's a whole new perspective for them and they always emerge with a grin on their face.

Brad

StewartB
    Hey, doesn't Chuck Yeager own a Husky? I hear he's a pretty good pilot.
    Now there's a Husky owner I admire. I don't envy him, but I do admire him.
    SB

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Grief!!!

This drivel about Huskys has gone on for four pages, people!!

Get over it. Let's talk about Cubs, fer cryin out loud!

Lots of good thoughts here, regarding aircraft ownership.

Just remember, folks, we may be the last generation that has the priviledge of owning these airplanes and taking them most anywhere we like.

Enjoy it, savor it, and pity the poor individual who has never taken the opportunity to go aloft in a lovely little airplane, whatever the name on the data tag.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    [delete

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a yuppie. J. C. GTF

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Well that's it. I paid too much for my Supercub so I don't know how to fly it and now to top it all off I find out I'm a doctor or a lawyer. That's more than I can live with.

I'm headed down to the hangar with a sledge hammer to beat that overpriced country club membership ticket into a pile of scrap and then sell it to a real Cub driver for $2.00. After that, I'm turning myself in at the mandatory euthanasia program for doctors and lawyers that masquerade as Supercub pilots.
    "You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    Gunny, and I thought I just paid too little for my house - since the plane cost more. I'm not a doctor or lawyer, I just have my priorities in the proper order. Now how do I keep Dana from seeing this thread?

Better save that sledgehammer for a lot of us....

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it takes all kinds of people to make this Cub World go round.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

On second thought.

I guess i should'nt be surprised husky owners feel their planes are best.Reflecting on this thread today while working i thought about my own father.My dad feels the taylorcraft is the best plane that has ever flown.He learned in a t-craft and had several of them ,before i got into cubs.He really thinks cubs perform great,but says if you installed a 150 h.p. in one of my old tin cans it would be better.I will state that the newer t-crafts with the bigger engines dont impress me ,he will reply that they changed them.I guess there is no winning these arguments.We are all very opinionated.I just hope that in the future my father and you husky owners come to your senses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gunny...if you can keep it on the q.t., I'll let you hide that undesireable, overpriced supercub of yours in my hanger...shhhhh!

-Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: On second thought.

Pzinck.... EXACTLY....

Bob, I already called Gunny and told him to bring that place to KC where it will be safe.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    sj. yeah but my hanger is closer and he can hide it faster here, but I don't want the word to get out since he's morphed into a doctor or lawyer now.

-Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are okay. I'm on my way. Remember, be careful, because if you spend a penny more than $100,000 for your cub you'll morph into one too.

I bet Jim Richmond will be shocked to learn he's running a law and medical college there in Yakima...

Well got to go, if I stay on too long they may be able to trace the post.......
    "You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    [delete

Post Thanks / Like
    I just like the part about " free comfortable cabin while you earn your float rating" Wonder how long you're allowed to dog that out for ..2 months in July!!

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a nice looking bird.

sj