• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New seat cushions -- Oregon Aero or Fine Line?

slowmover

FRIEND
Little Rock, AR
Looking at new seat cushions for the Super Cub. Looked at Fine Line's seats and Oregon Aero's website. I've read all the older posts on sc.org but I'm looking for a direct comparison on weight and comfort between these two products. Any comments would be apprecated.

Thanks
Slowmover

I've got Fine line seats and like them, but I haven't tried the Oregon Aero cushions. Everyone I've talked to who uses the Oregon Aero seats likes them.

Main reason I got Fine Line was the ability to go to their shop and try out the cushions. They were able to customize the cushions at no extra charge.

I've got Oregon Aero seats and like them. I've never tried Fine Line. I have some back injuries, and the support provided by the Oregon Aero seats make the Cub flyable for me.

Regards,
Steve

Don't know anything about Fine Line seats, but Oregon Aero pretty much invented the concept of innovative seat cushions. I've used their cushions in a number of aircraft, and they are truly wonderful.

I too have back problems, and there've been times when I couldn't have tolerated a given flight without the Oregon Aero seat cushions.

MTV

I have a Oregon Aero cushion that is portable and I can put in different airplanes. I have a boney butt so it helps on any flight over 2 hours. I have flown the Husky which has Oregon Aero seats and find them real comfortable. In my two rebuilds (Clipper & L18C) I think I am going to order the temperfoam from Jim Fix and cut it to fit and have a local upholstery shop cover them. I did this on a Long-EZ and turned out nice. Temperfoam is what Oregon Aero uses and cuts easily with an electric knife. Oregon Aero is pretty pricey for my wallet.

I don't know what model the front seat it is, but is from oregon seats and there are some considerations. Mine isn't deep enough. Though it is a contouring seat it I wish it was just a little more plush, meaning like a beamer seat,one that you could sit on for and 1.5 or 2 hours with out having to take weight off your butt. On long trips I have to shift my weight 3 or 4 times to stay comfortable. Maybe thats the supercub and no seat could cure the problem but I am going to research the problem. When redoing the seats of a 12 we called some a foam supplier to Oregon and the high end foam was outragous. We opted for a multilayer with different thickness foams for a composite approach. The result was a seat cushion with good firmness and depth.

Tempur foam is great stuff IF the temperature is 70* plus. Cooler than that and the foam is hard and unforgiving. Since my planes stay outside I won't even consider Tempur foam in the seats. It does make a nice mattress, though.
SB

My cushion is hard as a rock when it is cold but my body heat softens it up and it gets real comfortable. My Dad's seats are different layers of different density foam. It is the same way. Of course cold to me and cold in AK are two different things. Shot finish color on my wing Sunday and it was 75*, was 20* this morning. That was cold for us.

Steve,
Insulated clothing prevents the body heat from softening the foam. That's why I brought it up. Cold tempur foam is about as soft as a 2x6.
SB

Which brings up another one of my Ideas. I drive a car with heated seats. Both the back and the seat get warm . Would'nt that be a great option especially any body who flies in the winter. Mine has rheostat with 1 through 5. and its a great option. Just a thought. Maybe take one out of a wreck and see how it can be adapted.

Sir
I bought a pair of the Fine Line seats early this fall and have flown at least 75 hours in the seats with the longest being around 4.5 hours and have nothing but great things to say about them. The back seat is just as comfortable as the front! I've spent a lot of time in uncomfortable ejection seats and these are like sitting in the easy chair. Fine line also has very good customer service. My seats were ready in a week or less.
ciao
Dodd

Hi Steve, I paid $726 for both front and rear Fine lines last year. Oregon Areos where over $1200 when I priced them at the same time. I would do it again in a heartbeat. And I have flown a husky with Oregon Aeros...they are nice, but not $500 nicer. The Fine lines are softer so I don't think they are the Tempur foam? but don't know for sure.

I use temperfoam in my front seat. The cabin heat makes it soft in about 15 minutes. Bought it from Aircraft Spruce and then cut to fit my bottom cushion.

T.J. Hinkle said:
Do people actually pay $1200 for 2 seat cushions? If so, I'm in the wrong business I guess.

Come on T.J., it took seat cushions to convince you of that?...

I talked to Fine Line last week and the going rate for a set of front seat cushions is $450. Today I talked to Oregon Aero and they want $595 for their set. Still thinking but leaning towards Fine Line, especially since I can go right over to the shop and pick them up.

fine line

I sat in a cub crafter top cub once & it was a hassle to get to the trim handle with the oregon aero seat cushions, I sat on a set of fine line cushions & promptly ordered up a set from Doug they are the KIND! I fly from Anchorage to Kotzebue a bunch in my cub & its an all day flight ,the fine line cushions make my butt happy to be there! Doug hats off to you bro....

I Don't like the Oregon Aero in cold temps. I am going with fine line because of that reason and the looks and weight.

seats

I have a buddy who has the Oregon Aero seats in his cub, He likes them but the hold down straps on the front seat bottom tore out right away.
I put the fineline seat in my cub and like it alot except I should have ordered the bottom 2" thicker and the back 1" thinner. I sit a bit lower than I like and the thick seat back while very comfortable puts me ahead a bit to far.
Dave

I'm trying to figure out what to do for my seat cushions, so I contacted Oregon Aero last week. For a set of front seat fabric covered seat cushions the price is $624. Back seat set is $656. That totals $1280. They may be the Cadillac seat cushion maker, but that price is also a budget buster for me.

I hooked up with Fine Line's web page, but there is no way to contact them thru their website...can only contact by calling. If their seats for both sets are in the 7-800 range I would be very interested. A local upholsterer here quoted me 8-900 to redo mine in vinyl. Will probably give Fine Line a call in the next week or so, but am still letting my fingers do the walking in the local yellow pages.

CC is $379 for the front seat set in fabric and $300 for the back seat set. Price wise not bad at all, but have heard they are not the most comfortable and that they also interfere with the flap handle. Anyone out there have comments on the CC seats?

Still scratching my head about what to do, but also have a few months to make the decision. I'm open to other suggestions.

-Bob

I have an Oregon Aero seat and am very happy with it. In cold weather (15*) it starts out hard as a rock, but softens after about 10 minutes. [I acknowledge that 15* isn't cold compared to winter temps in AK, but it's cold enough for me.] It is very comfortable for long trips, and I've never experienced any discomfort, even on daylong flights.

The price is quite high (too high). Perhaps Fine Line will provide the competition needed to bring OA's prices down.

My hope is that the seat will last an especially long time, outliving conventional foam seats. I'd be interested to hear from those who have worn out an OA seat: how many years did it last? How many hours of seat time did it endure? Was it exposed to prolonged high temps (e.g., Arizona desert heat for extended periods)? Was your plane hangared or tied down outdoors?

- Eric

I have the Oregon Aero seats. I like them very much. One thing that you should know is that their stock front seat back is quite a bit wider than the stock Cub seat. The extra bolster is nice but, if you have big guys riding in the back, their knee space is compromised. They will make them narrower if you ask.

I have redone a couple of interiors and have found that the most important element of seat comfort is getting your pelvis in the right position and supporting the thighs. Oregon Aero has this down cold. Others can do it -- I think that the Cub Crafters seats are pretty good knock offs.

My partner is 6' 6" and 250 lbs. We have made a bunch of subtle modifications to to the headliner, instrument panel and sidewals to make it more comfortable for him. The guys at Oregon Aero were very helpful. They know their business.

Seats

I have had stock seats and CC seats and oregon aero. The latter are hands down the most comfortable. Hard when cold but warm up quickly. If you fly it alot you will like these seats. I could not aford one for the back,dont have many passengers but if comfort for yourself is what you want oregon aero is my choice.

Seats

You can buy Oregon's folding portable seat support for $140 and it's money VERY well spent. Comes in 1" or 2". Works great in a vehicle for trips as well. 5 hours in my PA-12 and I climbed out like it was 5 minutes. Have a set now for the AgCat, The Super Cruiser and the Camry!

The problem I had with the Oregon is all the elastic went on the map pocket and it hung into the stick. Also over time the back wouldn't stay straight - sliding side to side and I would be sitting cockeyed. I searching for the Volvo S60 equal.

Seems like the Oregon Aero seats are really heavy. Feels like they add about 10 pounds to the plane. If I was a fish spotter flying 10 hours a day in my Cub they would be worth it but with most flights at 1 hour with the occasional cross country it seems like a lot of weight to add.

Bill

Back