• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

You think it is cold where you are?????????

Torch

GONE WEST
Fairbanks, Alaska
Check out my new sig. No flying any time soon for me. It has to get above zero before I even think about flying.

Re: -35 here

iceydawn said:
-35 F in Soldotna Ak....brrrrrr :oops:

That is cold for down there.

Here is your current temp.

Soldotna.gif

Thanks

Seems a little off. Our porch now says -32 F. Oh well, It seems after a certain point it just cold who cares what the temp really is.
:crazyeyes:

Re: Thanks

iceydawn said:
Seems a little off. Our porch now says -32 F. Oh well, It seems after a certain point it just cold who cares what the temp really is.
Pretty much goes by 10, 20, 30 below and then who cares, pass the JD :drinking: and throw another log on the fire!! :D

cold

Supposed to get down to -18 here in nothern Mn. tonight. Not too bad, but I'm with Irishfield, grab the J D (Captain Morgan for me) & throw another log on the fire !!!

Re: Thanks

iceydawn said:

Your thermometer is probably correct. At these temperatures just a few feet in elevation can cause that disparity. For instance, Fairbanks may be -40F and 12 miles away in North Pole it may be as cold as -50F because their elevation is a few feet lower. Doesn't take much.

not that cold in southwest wisconsin, but a nice coat of ice on everything do to the freezing rain. we haven't had enough snow this winter to even put our skis on :cheers

My wife says Boxford MA is down to -8F. My daughter dropped the tire guage on the garage floor and it shattered. Here in ( sunny?) Mexico City it goes down to freezing at night, which has the effect of decreasing the population a bit from the estimated 21 million. Both the PA-12/180 and the 600 Cat look perfectly happy out on the ramp. :wink:

My wife says Boxford MA is down to -8F. My daughter dropped the tire guage on the garage floor and it shattered. Here in ( sunny?) Mexico City it goes down to freezing at night, which has the effect of decreasing the population a bit from the estimated 21 million. Both the PA-12/180 and the 600 Cat look perfectly happy out on the ramp. :wink:

I get to Mexico City pretty often (the International airport). What airport do you use there?

Shucks, it's warmed up to -20F or so here, after a couple of days floating in the -35F range, of course the reason it warmed up is the wind started blowing so the wind chill is -45 to -55

(70.2N 149.4W)

Heat Wave

North of Seattle 25 miles its +45F If it keeps up, I might have to open the door. We did have a weird Ice rain about a week ago. Heavy ice on everything, and at night you could hear trees breaking everywhere, big ones two. It looked like some kind of micro burst at ground level. It will take along time to clean this mess up. Stay warm you guys, maybe a cub of cheer will help. :drinking:

Jerry
My last day of flyfishing was in Oct. The big Rainbows were bitting well. At 10 deg you are actually casting between ice flows. Every ten cast you have to clean out your guides. But for a 8.4lb 26" native Rainbow, it is worth it.
This solid water now is tough to fly fish even for somebody from MT

Ron

Jerry Gaston said:
Torch How do you guys fly fish when its that cold?

Jerry,

When the ice gets thick we usually cut a channel on the lake with a chainsaw about two feet wide by about 25 yards long. It works okay for flyfishing but its pretty tough when you want to troll.

Jerry,

Flyrods are all packed away for the winter. I may do some ice fishing this week for some rainbows. Still fun to get out in the winter and catch a few fish. Plus it gives me an excuse to fly the Torch on skiis.

av8ron said:
Jerry
My last day of flyfishing was in Oct. The big Rainbows were bitting well. At 10 deg you are actually casting between ice flows. Every ten cast you have to clean out your guides. But for a 8.4lb 26" native Rainbow, it is worth it.
This solid water now is tough to fly fish even for somebody from MT

Ron

Ron,

Do you fly in for that fishing? I would really like to fly down in the summer and do some back country flyfishing for trout.

Don

FLY FISHING

I think i might be the only one in alaska that can go fishing. Got about 1- dollys and rainbows all over 15 inches out in the water garden. We have to keep a warm shed over the ledge of one of the ponds to keep the skimmer and pumps from freezing. We also have a bunch of baby rainbows any where from 3 to 7 inches. ..... To bad I can't stand the taste of seafood... hehehe... :oops:

Rugby, N.Dak. -44F dosent feel to bad though no wind, after 46 years it finally dawned on me to always beware whenever you here any thing with the word north attached to it!!! north face, northland sports, north pole, north dakota.

OK all you cold weather outdoorsmen.........what is the best long underwear? 1 piece or 2? I use a Cabela's polypro type but curious if there is a big difference in materials. I heard silk is good stuff. No thong jokes please....... 8)

Underware

The best I have tried are Patagonia brand, expedition weight, Capolina. The top has a 6" zip up turttle neck and pant style bottoms. Get them a little large because they will shrink after being washed a few times and don't dry them on hot. They feel great the minute you pull them on and you can dress with lighter outter layers. Wear them with direct contact with your skin. Even after sweating, falling in a river, or having to swim to shore, you feel dry after a couple of minutes. Crash

The most comfortable I have are made by Brynje. Nothing else comes even close. If you plan on being active, you owe it to yourself to at least consider them.

I'm with Crash, bought the Patagonias about 3 weeks ago, wanted something light like a body sock. I ride in the back seat often and used to get a chill. Now I can do three hour legs and stay warm, and not feel like the Pillsbury doughboy. Pricey though, about $70 for top and bottom.

Thanks for the info guys.
Great lookin' Avatar Judd.......did you post a big pic?

Back