• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leading Edge Cuff

crosswind cuff

Excellent thread......I installed the cuff on my 14 and have been flying it for about 5 months.

I had heard some good and bad stories about the cuff before I did the install.

With the cuff the stall is very gently (really gentle), with a fairly steep attitude. I have not experienced any bad flight characteristics.

I would recommend it to anyone who is recovering their wing.

When installing the x-winds cuff, do they provide a new landing light lens to fit the new leading edge profile? Do most people install the tip spill plates or just modify their tips to fit the new leading edge profile (assuming squared off tips not round wing tips)? How thick of metal do they use on the cuff (.016, .020, or .025)?

They do supply the landing light lense. We ended the cuff at the inboard edge of my drooped tips so no other tip modification was tequired.

Off hand I can't say what thickness the edge is.

I had a 12 for 43 years. First 12 years with a standard 12 wing with flaps. The next 31 years
I had 18 wings with Charly’s cuff on the same aircraft. I liked the cuff. It improved low speed
performance and I had no additional issues with ice with the cuff than without it.

Back