• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

sealing around the windshield

LANDSHORT

CANBY, OR
Awhile back I read a great thread on sealing around the windshield/windscreen. I have searched and can't find the thread.

Would appreciate any supercub.org "guru's" that may be able to help me spot that again.

Thnx and Happy Holidays, Scott

Sealing around windows

That might have been my post. This is how I do it. Use 3M vinyl (it makes bends without folding) striping tape (not paper masking tape) to mask the windshield trim strip right up to the top edge of the strip. Mask the windshield plexi glass 1/8" above the trim strip so you have an 1/8" gap to seal.

I use Lexel instead of G.E. Silicone because it dries crystal clear and is high gloss like the glass (you can hardly see it). It also never yellows like silicone and sticks like glue. The problem with Lexel is it skins over very quickly so you have to have your act together and work fast.. On the windshield I put a "half way" break in the masking so I can do half, pull the masking then do the other half. If you try to do too long of a stretch you can't work fast enough to smooth it down before it skims over and will wrinkle when you try.

After you have it masked, cut the end of the tube of Lexel so you get a flow a littler smaller then 1/8". Start your bead and keep it consistent so it fills the 1/8" void and is a little high but not too much. After you do about two feet (half of the windshield) of bead STOP, set the tube down and quickly pull both top and bottom masking tapes. Now quickly wet you finger with saliva or soapy water and draw your finger along the bead to lay it down. Do not make the bead too big or it will spread out as you lay it down and give you a sloppy looking job. When you run your wet finger over it all you are trying to do is roll the edges down that lifted when you removed the masking. ONLY MAKE ONE PASS WITH YOUR FINGER, a second pass and it will start to "PULL".

I do all my windows and trim strips (skylight, door window, "D" windows, etc.) this way. I also do the bottom of the windsheid trim strip where it meets the boot cowl. My airplane is tight (no leaks) in a heavy rain storm.

P.S. Sling the wet masking tapes far way from the plane, if the Lexel gets on anything it is there to stay. Be careful wit it.
Crash

Ditto, I do the same thing only I do the wet finger trick before pulling the tape. Then you can apply a lot of force with the finger and force the goo down between the window and airframe. Biggest thing is to work fast.

Hey guys, The windshield on my plane seems to be pulled away from the center edge on the bottom. The felt backing won't stay in place to hold it in . Should I do something to this before I reseal the bottom or just seal it in the relaxed position? Would Silicon offer more "Give" than Lexair? Rick

Lexel

You can get Lexel at Spanard Builders Supply. It comes in a caulk gun tube or squeez tube. I get the squeez tube. I cut the tube end at an angle and squeez hard to fill any gap and force some down any crack if there is one. My finger work is just to lay the edges down and smooth out any high spots. This stuff really sets fast so don't lolly gag. Crash

Thnx Crash, appreciate the info, and yes it apparently was your idea I read under another thread.

I give it a try.

Scott

Windshild Sealant

When I built my SC I used 3M cauking or some call it dumb dumb to seal the windshiled around the boot cowl and at the top where the sky light meets. Pretty messy stuf. Been thinking about redoing the sealing. What did you guys use as sealant?
PR

I use Geocell... never quite hardens and seems to stick really well, yet not so messy as "dum dum" to use.

I like black silicone. Use fine line tape, make your filet, then carefully remove tape.

I prefer urethane caulk not silicone. Silicone will mess up any chance of paint repairs down the road and it's a real pain in the butt to remove residue from the soft aluminum window strips and not bend them up. I use Dap Dynaflex 230 which you can get from the hardware store. LP aero also has some great urethane window caulk you can get through Spruce or Wicks

Jason

I was thinking to maybe use Foam Sealing Tape like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/foamtape100.php?clickkey=47736 : This tape can be wrapped around the edges of the windows to both cushion and seal. DO NOT STRETCH DURING APPLICATION, IT WILL PULL BACK AND LEAVE GAPS. Piper used this extensively in their window installations.

Sealant works very good, but it relatively hard to remove without any damage.

What you guys think about using the foam sealing tape??

Crystal clear LEXEL. Ace Hardware. An adhesive caulk, also paintable!. Plus, compatible with lexan and plexi. I never use silicone anymore, I used this stuff for gluing lexan to plexi and it has been 7 yrs now, stays flexible but bulletproof at the same time!

I was thinking to maybe use Foam Sealing Tape like this: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/appages/foamtape100.php?clickkey=47736 : This tape can be wrapped around the edges of the windows to both cushion and seal. DO NOT STRETCH DURING APPLICATION, IT WILL PULL BACK AND LEAVE GAPS. Piper used this extensively in their window installations.

Sealant works very good, but it relatively hard to remove without any damage.

What you guys think about using the foam sealing tape??

So I think I won't use any closed sell Foam Sealing tape for windshield installation.

Windshield sealant?

What are you using to seal the windshield around the bottom? Looking for suggestions. Thanks

I second the Dow Corning 732 as well as DC 737. Tenacious grip, good material compatibility, easy cleanup and long shelf life even after opening. None of this 30 hour shelf life of the 3M Marine sealants after opening.

Back