• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Used Cessna 180

R. JOHNSON

DODGEVILLE WI
Hi everyone, I know this is sort of off topic for this web site, but I know few of you own/fly 180 cessnas, and who better to give a little input than the SuperCub.org family.

I am curious as to what a 180 PROJECT is worth. I've stumbled upon one right in my backyard. This one is all intact, and inside a fully enclosed hangar, but I think it has been in the same spot for about the last 30 to 35 years. It's so close to my home airport and we just found out about it through a non flying friend. We haven't even contacted the owner yet, but we drove over to where it was supposed to be at and sure enough, you could just see through the crack in the hangar door. Anyway I'm just wondering what this might be worth. Thanx :x-mas:

Need more info. You say project, but it is all intact. Is it disassembled? Any damage history? Engine times? It needs a little more research, but it could be one of those "found in a farmer's barn" type of good deal.

You're too late Ryan, :( I just called him up and offered him $25000 for it. He said come and get it. On my way tomorrow. :evil:

just kidding but somebody won't be. :crazyeyes:

Believe me guys, I'm trying to get a hold of the owner. I've can't get a very good look at it, but from what I can see it's all intact.

Just watch your back as you're peering into someone else's hangar through the cracks. Apt to get surprised by the owner, and he may be an avid NRA member.

MTV

fwd forward 25000
paint 6000
interior 5000
tires and parts 5000
radios 20000
instuments 4000
fuel bladders 3000

total 68000 fixed up worth 90,000 finished pay 22000 for just a fair deal.

or just put a few grand into it and never know when you get to play glider .

Be sure to take a good look at the innards too. When I was in the market for a 180, I was surprized to see how many have bad corrosion problems. Can be an expensive proposition to reskin the wings, or fuselage, or all of it.

Bad news, it is ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SALE! I believe were the guy's exact words. Oh well, don't really need another project anyway. :(

I know of a lot of airplanes like this. In fact a cherry PA12, Glassair, Cessna 140A, Taylorcraft, C-172, T6. Most will sit until the owner dies and the family will sell it. That is why I won't buy another project. I have my Clipper torn down, my Super Cub needs total rebuild, a Pietenpol project and I hope to stretch my Pacer project into a Producer/Bushmaster. All I need is time and money.

"...it has been in the same spot for about the last 30 to 35 years..."

And if it were a Ford, Chevy, Kenworth, would you consider it to be any less of a project??

Old truckers never die?they just get a new Peterbuilt.

I know of three J-3 projects in the area, and the owners are older guys and they all REFUSE to sell. It's really too bad, these planes could be bringing someone lots of enjoyment, but instead they sit only to rot into the ground.One of them that I'm sure WIflier and Supercubc37 know the one, (on highway 11 by Delavan) the stick won't move, and you could break the grab handle and part of the longeron right off. Although I did hear he was ready to sell that. I stopped down there recently, and he said if he ever did sell it, it would be for 20k :crazyeyes: I remember looking at it in the same spot when I was about 6, and being chased back to the car from a bunch of turkeys, that were as tall as me at the time :help

I've seen this too. Often the owner says he is going to rebuild it for his grandson someday, or some other idea. I think its that small flicker of hope or that dream that keeps some of these old guys alive. I too would like to see someone enjoying that plane but I wouldn't take an older persons dream either. If you have ever had to take the car/keys from your dad or granddad because they were too old and unsafe to drive you will understand what I am trying to say. You can almost see the life draining from their eyes. It'll rip your heart out. I think its really great when someone is able to do a restoration and give the elderly a ride in his old plane one more time. Let him hold on to his dream a little longer. We will all be there one day.

Bill

I heard once where an elderly gentalman's son had to put posts in the ground of his t hangar in front of his Cub, so he couldn't get it out. He was just too old to fly anymore. I REALLY don't look forward to when that day comes for me, if I have children/grandkids I hope they fly!

I think some of my most rewarding flights have been with an old guy while he was "flying on my medical" so to speak.

God Bless them all.

Bill

One of my favorite sayings came after I took an elderly guy moose hunting in AK. 50 some hours of flying from WA to AK and back. When we got home and out of the plane, he gave me a big hug and said "There's nothing more noble a young man can do than take an old man hunting" Damned near brought tears to my eyes. Same goes for piloting.
Mike
PS He got his moose!!

Rotting Airplanes

We had a Cessna 180 on Firelake that sat in the same place out in the weather for almost 20 years. The guy just flatly refused to sell it but wouldn't brush the wings off or do anything to it. He also didn't pay his space rent so it was put up for auction. He finally came through with the rent at the last minute and removed the plane a few weeks later. It had deteriorated really bad over the years to the point I don't think it would even make a good rebuild project. The guy is a real a-hole in my opinion to let that happen to a nice plane that is out of production and the last of it's breed. Crash

I sold my1955 C-180 as a project 11 yrs. ago, it was from my fathers estate and was very badly corroded in the wings, it had sat 12 yrs. prior to that after my father had a ground loop accident. If you are a lonely person and just want a lot of telephone calls just put an ad in Trade a plane for a C-180 project. If you are contemplating an older C-180 watch out for that O-470 J engine,its a whole different animal.

All the Texas Cavalcaders met Fred at Randy's hunting camp. I built the engine for that airplane 7-8 yrs. ago. He is going to get current and learn to fly that Pro Tech. I know a lot of guys like him. Rebuilt an airplane for one and then had to go get it off it's back. What gets me is the younger guys that have the planes and might fly a few hours a year if that.

Back