• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental Super Cub

Charlie Aileron said:
Yea, I need to change my avatar and my user name. Don't know how!

Charles, click on profile at the top of your page... If you run into problems, PM Steve, he's helped me with computer problems that don't even have anything to do with SC.org... Whata guy!...

SUPER super cub

Charles,
Great job on your aircraft!!! In just over a year. What an accomplishment. From the looks of it, you did an awesome job. Let us know how it flies!! Have a great holiday err. CHRISTMAS!!!! :D

Joe, in Buffalo

Haven't flown it yet, just done some taxi testing. The DAR is scheduled to visit Friday the 26th. Going nuts waiting! :crazyeyes:

I built the plane with the idea of saving as much weight as I could. Some of the things I did are........Used .016 aluminum for all interior panels including the extended baggage. The extended baggage floor is .025. Wooden Sensenich W80DM propeller. Supposed to be 21 lbs lighter than metal Borer. Light weight starter. Light weight B&C accessory case mount alternator. Rear seat frame constructed of aluminum tubing rather than steel. Front seat made non-adjustable to save weight of adjustment tracks. Wings built as 13 rib using Piper original type ribs. SIngle puck cleveland brakes. Light weight Odyessy battery. I calculated I had saved around 100 lbs with all of the weight saving measures I did. I used Ceconite 102 for covering. Randolph Nitrate and Butyrate dope process. Six brush coats of nitrate. Six spray coats of nitrate. Four cross coats of silver butyrate. One coat of white urethane as a base and one coat of color and one coat of clear. Finish color is PPG Durathane 1995 Ford Vermillian and clearcoated. A lot of sanding between every coat. I have found through experience that a lot of weight in the covering process can be saved if you sand a lot between each coat. Also makes for a real slick shiny finish. Final weight with 8qts of oil and no gas was 969 lbs!

Sorry, forgot to answer the question on the engine. It's a O-320 built by Gann Aviation in Lafyette Georgia. 160 hp version.

I used an oxygen/acetylene outfit. Smith airline torch. See picture of my rig.......http://www.supercub.org/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album08&id=aah
I purchased a tack welded fuselage from Robert Spraker in Dunnellon Florida. Finished welding all the clusters, purchased all of the preformed attach brackets from Airframes Inc. and welded them on. Nearly two months of welding! Whew! I got about $5000 total in the fuselage. About half what a professional built fuselage would have cost but us poor guys got more time than money.

Charles,

I have been following your progress with all the pictures you have posted. Congratulations, you have done a wonderful job and I hope you will enjoy operating the plane on many memorable trips.
Thanks for providing a source of motivation for all of us who are trying to do the same project that you have just completed.
Best wishes for the holidays, and if you ever miss the building experience, I am in AZ and at the rate I am going my project will be a 13 year project, so please drop by anytime you feel like....

JvB

Back