Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Do you use the Back Country?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use the Back Country?

I have been e-mailing back and forth with Robert Patrick of IAA.

He is building a list of people who use the four strips that are in jeopardy.
    Mile-Hi
    Vines
    Dewey Moore
    Simonds

I see pictures in the gallery of Cubs in these places, would you please reply as to how many times you have used these. I frequent Vines and Mile-Hi with the 170 and would hate to lose them. Please help build this list.

Post Thanks / Like
    removed

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point. I have had zero response to the many forums I have posted. I was doing this to Help the IAA and the pres specifically asked for people who had been in there over the last couple of years. I like your idea. The good news is that AOPA is already involved as well.

Thanks Buddy!

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kelly...

There's probably alot more people here that have used the surrounding strips than those that have used the four you mentioned...

I've been into Cabin Creek and Soldier Bar with the 185 and I've shot "approaches" to the four you mentioned, but that doesn't count...

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.c170.com/gallery/view_pho...1&id=milehi600

This is one of my favorite shots. Can you imagine if I wasn't welcomed back.

Cabin Creek is was of my favorites, as well. But the best camping spot in the back country is at Wilson Bar. Go to mid field, turn south, go until you reach the point and put up your tent. You can taxi all the way back there, and there is always a nice breeze on that point. See ya there!!

Post Thanks / Like
    removed

Post Thanks / Like
    I have personally used Dewey Moore, Vines, Mile High, and Simons, I have even (unfortunately) explored the bottom of the creek at Vines (see photo album)

I have requested under the FIA the comments sent to the forrest service that influenced ther decision? Facts are they had already made up their mind ever since gettin their tit in a wringer in 91! They are now using the Emergency crap as a way of pressing their agenda to "close all" back country strips! As for me, my plane is running rough, and I think if I let it sit for a couple of hours it will clear up?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Vines

I've landed at Vines about a dozen times during 1998-2001. I've also been in to Cabin Creek quite a few times. I haven't used the Dewey Moore, Simonds, or Mile Hi.

Fishing at Vines is great and the airstrip was in reasonably good shape at at the time, even without official ongoing maintenance.

Hope this helps.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    AOPA has now officially entered the fight, and has appealed the decision to close the strips. A link to the story is posted on the front page of their website at AOPA Online. The full story is here.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

landings

I used these strips in the last week, I did not no they were closed and by the looks of the tracks on these strips most are still landing. I guess the problem would be setting up a tent and hanging around to get caught. Are they closed and if so how is one to know, they are not X off. When I go flying I don't ask FSDO if there open. I fly over to Idaho and go where I want when I want and I don't need the FAA's input on condition of the strip so how would I know?

Greg