• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel lines?

sekps

Lund, Sweden
When I disassembled my L-18C I noticed that the fuel lines all have to be replaced. Some are aluminium and some are copper, but they are all in quite bad shape. Or at least not good enough that I would like to reinstall them.

With what should I replace them? Aluminium, copper? Maybe NyloFlow or some other new stuff?

And what about tubing(hoses)? Any recommendations?

/Mattias

5052-0 aluminum tubing is preferred material for fuel lines and should be fitted with flared AN fittings.
Aeroquip 303-6 is recommended for gascolator to carburator line.
Even if your plane is experimental, I would recommend to use only approved materials for the fuel system.
Above material is available from Aircraft Spruce

Since you are replacing the entire fuel system you also have the option to get rid of the header tank and also modify the fuel selector to Left-Both-Right. Both options have been covered in depth in previous posts. Such as.

http://www.supercub.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1790&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good luck, Vidir

Thanks! That thread was really something. Without knowing it I have obviously done it the right way all the time. I have always emptied the right tank first as I have some strange idea that I want the fuel selector close to the "last" tank. Never thought of things like the length of the fuel lines and the header tanks...

I already have a L/R/Both selector as it's an ex-ALAT L-18C. I think ALAT switched to that type of selector on more or less all L-18's. The first week I owned her I experienced that fuel went from one tank to the other when the selector was in the Both position (slightly different fuel caps), so I added "RAM air ventilation" to the fuel caps and got rid of the problem.

So this could mean that I'm in a good position to get rid of the header tanks, or? Especially as a C-90 won't give such a steep climbing angle.

There's an STC mentioned for this. Where can I find that?

I'll probably go for 5052-0 tubing for the fuel lines. It has worked for more than 50 years in my Cub so why change a winning concept...

Back