• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Parts buying scam

cubdrvr

SPONSOR
YKN(mother city of the dakotas)
I've heard of this scam before, but this is the first I have received. This is an email I got this morning. The way it's supposed to work is that they send me a check for 8K....I deduct the price of my parts....then return the balance of the $$ to them.....I get a rubber check and they get my $$. I think I'll play with 'em for a while and see what shakes out. :roll:

We are interested in buying your above mentioned products at advertised rate. Goods to be shipped to London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check for $8,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. KEN ROBERTS.

Yea that same scam got run here not to long ago on my neighbor. He was to smart for them too. The check was written on a bank about 100 miles away and wasn't any good. They did a big write up in our local paper about it. Let us know how long you can string the bastards along.

Update on Parts buying Scam.........here are my emails to date. I did get a MO for 8K in the mail. I'll visit with my banker tomorrow and see what the next step may be.

Dear Mr Pepper,
The information we have is that the check was delivered since December 24 at 11.40 am your local time and was signed for by a K.HAUGAN.We are surprised that you have not cared to inform us but would want to believe that the christmas break may have caused it.
We also understand that a cashiers check was sent to you and that it is as good as cash and would clear your bank on presentation.
Please take the check to your bank and cash it.
Deduct the cost of the Engine as we agreed and have the balance sent by MONEY GRAM to TONNY U.JAMES IN HOLLAND (Tonny with a double NN) .Money Gram says that you will need cash to be able to send the money.They do not require any address.The test question is 'WHAT IS MY FIRST NAME.Answer is 'TONNY'.
On sending the money through a money gram point,please send to us by email,the THE CONTROL NUMBERS,THE EXACT AMOUNT SENT AS WELL AS THE NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE SENDER IF DIFFERENT FROM YOU.
On! receipt of the money,James will make arrangements for the Engine to be picked from you.At pick up,you do not need to give them any money.They will give you a call to arrange for pick up.The information we have is that they have representatives in all states of the US and in Canada.
We are believing that you will be able to do this tomorrow.Looking forward to hearing from you.Thank you and God bless you.
Best Regards,
Ken Roberts.
NOTE:pLEASE ASK MONEY GRAM TO CONVERT THE MONEY TO EURO AND INFORM YOU OF WHAT IT COMES TO.COST OF SENDING TO BE DEDUCTED FROM THE BALANCE MONEY.

Waldo Pepper <squawkident@iw.net> wrote:
Hi Ken..........
Sorry this took so long to get back to you.....I've been out ot town.
You can send the check to:

Waldo Pepper
901 Broadway
Yankton, SD, 57078

Also please send me information on where, and how, you want the engine shipped.

Thank you.

----- Original Message -----
To: squawkident@iw.net
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Re Advertised (IO-470-K) at $3,500

We are interested in buying your above mentioned products at advertised rate. Goods to be shipped to London. Cost and modalities of shipping to be born by us.

Payment for the purchase is by check through a debtor in US. The debtor owes us higher than our purchase. He will therefore be sending you a check for $8,000 to cover the cost of our order, as well as the Shipping costs.

On receipt of the check, you will cash and deduct the cost of our order .The balance you will send as we would instruct you to the Agency that will ship the Goods to us. If this arrangement suites you fine, please send us your address where to send the check, as well as the name to be on it. Also send us your phone number for easy communication.

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. KEN ROBERTS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now

Update on my emails........I've been playing with this guy for a while now......I think he's starting to catch on. He has spent 5 calls from London and I've not been available. I took the bogus Cashiers Check to my banker who called the bank it was written on. Southeastern Bank in Darien, GA.
It appears someone had stolen a CC from this bank and had it duplicated and sold amongst the scammers. This bank now has a full time person assigned to these fraudulent checks as they are receiving thousands of them. Problem is, according to my banker, is that banks will actually cash these checks for their customers because they look so authentic.....then when the Fed returns them guess who is stuck. Cashiers checks are not the same as cash anymore.......my banker recommended wire tranfers or escrows for large sales or purchases.

Waldo,
At least this is bettrer than the silence .
We will like to know what you mean by the check being deposited.We had expectd that it is as good as cash and would be cashed on presentation.At least that is the impression that we got.
And if you say deposited,how many days hold do they have on the check.
Your assertion that the balance money would be sent as soon as possible is rather vague.we need to know when because we also have a schedule.Mind you that you are not sending any money to me but to those that will be responsible for the pick up and shipment to us.You are not even sure if Theresa has deposited the check.
Please let us know for sure and for how many days.
Regards,
Ken.
By the way,is there any other number that i could use to reach you?.

Ken.........sorry for the delay. I just returned to the office and have had many year end business items to attend to. I think Theresa has deposited your Money Order. I will do my best to get the balance sent to you as soon as possible. I should be in the office tomorrow AM if you wish to call. Thank you........and Happy New Year........Waldo
To: Waldo Pepper
Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 5:14 PM
Subject: Re: Re:Engine($3,500).CHECK & WHAT YOU MUST DO.

Waldo,
I consdier it rather shameful that you have refused to acknowledge any of my mails nor speak with me on my numerous calls.
I would not know why you have decided to treat us this way.we are still beliving that you will be good enough to say something to break the silence.
Regards,
Ken.

Ken ......you can reach me at 605-665-7057. Thanks........Waldo
To: Waldo Pepper
Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2003 4:21 AM
Subject: Re:Engine($3,500).CHECK & WHAT YOU MUST DO.

Dear Mr Pepper,
The information we have is that the check was delivered since December 24 at 11.40 am your local time and was signed for by a K.HAUGAN.We are surprised that you have not cared to inform us but would want to believe that the christmas break may have caused it.
We also understand that a cashiers check was sent to you and that it is as good as cash and would clear your bank on presentation.
Please take the check to your bank and cash it.
Deduct the cost of the Engine as we agreed and have the balance sent by MONEY GRAM to TONNY U.JAMES IN HOLLAND (Tonny with a double NN) .Money Gram says that you will need cash to be able to send the money.They do not require any address.The test question is 'WHAT IS MY FIRST NAME.Answer is 'TONNY'.
On sending the money through a money gram point,please send to us by email,the THE CONTROL NUMBERS,THE EXACT AMOUNT SENT AS WELL AS THE NAMES AND ADDRESS OF THE SENDER IF DIFFERENT FROM YOU.
On!! ! receipt of the money,James will make arrangements for the Engine to be picked from you.At pick up,you do not need to give them any money.They will give you a call to arrange for pick up.The information we have is that they have representatives in all states of the US and in Canada.
We are believing that you will be able to do this tomorrow.Looking forward to hearing from you.Thank you and God bless you.
Best Regards,
Ken Roberts.
NOTE:pLEASE ASK MONEY GRAM TO CONVERT THE MONEY TO EURO AND INFORM YOU OF WHAT IT COMES TO.COST OF SENDING TO BE DEDUCTED FROM THE BALANCE MONEY.

Hi Ken..........
Sorry this took so long to get back to you.....I've been out ot town.
You can send the check to:

Waldo Pepper
901 Broadway
Yankton, SD, 57078

Also please send me information on where, and how, you want the engine shipped.

Thank you.

To: squawkident@iw.net
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 10:33 AM
Subject: Re Advertised (IO-470-K) at $3,500

Thank you.

Best Regards

MR. KEN ROBERTS.

cubdrvr,
If you have any contact details for the London end I can pass them on to the Police this end. It looks from the wording of the e-mails to be one of the Nigerian scams, so they may not be contacting you from the UK.
Keep us posted.
Pete

The voice on the recorder is definetly not English. I did speak with our local sheriff and he passed the info on to our Atty. General. They have no interest in pursuing this because the chance for any legal action is pretty much non existant. We all just have to be aware and exercise caution when accepting cashiers checks.

sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar

looking at your signature line....... given what has happened to cashier's checks, it would seem that more often than not any more, a cigar is something else indeed. (Monica knows.)

great story. we are having a ball watching you play this fish. pretty soon you'll have to tell him there was a problem with the check? then what will he say? betcha he goes silent.

or do you have someone pick up the "engine" but instead it's a box of concrete blocks (or worse)? after all, the scammer's paying the freight! sock it to the SOB.

Dang Cubdrvr, you have very large cahones...

I hope he does not send Mr. Motto out after you.

sj

Not to worry........I told him my agent lives in KC and gave him your name. :)

At last count there almost 50 Steve Johnson's in Kansas City metro, so it will be like the phonebook scene from the Terminator I guess...

Eees Thees Saahrah Cahn-nur?

sj

Dave's signature line always reminds me of a sign my grandfather had on his wall. Sign said, "A woman is only a woman but a good cigar is a smoke". I think he brought it back from Havana back when Americans used to vacation there long long ago.

Ken

I was also approached by this guy. I let him send the MO as well. It was funny how his perfect english all of a sudden disappeared near the end. He only called me once but the line was quite staticy. He used all the same lines except the name he gave me to send the money thru was different. He got a bit ticked at the end. The last thing he wrote to me was "the idiot that you are". You see, I had emailed him that I was going to cash the cheque. When he called, I told him that I thought it was fake. He wanted me to email him what I had told him on the phone. When I didn't, he would email me with the same 'why are you keeping something that is not yours". I think he needed written proof that I had not sent the money. Otherwise, whoever he is working for may have thought he pocketed the cash himself. I never did give him that satisfaction. When I received the MO the envelope it came in was from NIGERIA! The bank on my MO was the Chevy Chase Bank in Maryland.

Boys and Girls,

Having been to Nigeria (to fly banners) and knowing a number of Nigerians --they are world reknown for their scams, especially credit card fraud here in the USA. Everytime we went to get paid it was... Choose 1: He has traveled, he is praying, he is resting, he will see you on Tuesday.

Don;t even bother to waste your time. Delete e-mails and empty the trash. You'll never ever catch up, and the UK police have far more important things to do.

Can't blame a guy for tryin' can ya?? Cheer up, yesterday we worked til the wee hours to get ready for a flight, and my local mechanic here in Mexico said.. See you at 7 AM. At 3 pm we called a locksmith to get the cowls out of the hangar. Then he showed up.

Ain't no quick money, and there ain't nowhere like the good old US of A.

Re: Ken

Anna689 said:
I think he needed written proof that I had not sent the money. Otherwise, whoever he is working for may have thought he pocketed the cash himself. I never did give him that satisfaction.

that is an interesting scenerio I never thought of. What if they are just working for somebody and getting a commission. If we started answering these things and having them send the check to a discreet dropbox, then acting like we sent them the money to a different address than they indicated ( like they discreetly told us to) :D maybe enough of them would start disappearing from their job for accused embezzeling the rest would start getting nervous and quit doing it.

I would like to buy an engine from a person on Barnstormers but I am nervous about just sending a check (private party). I am pretty sure everything would be fine but what if the guy is a lazy joker and never does what he is suppose to (send me my engine). Then I have to fly 1000 miles to get my pound of flesh. Any ideas on what to do short of driving a 1000 miles to pick it up.

Independent, on-site inspection by reputable A&P that has no relationship with the seller.

Friend of mine bought a prop from an FBO in Alabama. Certified, signed-off, fresh overhaul with all the right paperwork. Turned out the prop, once delivered, had previously been bent, hammered "straight," sanded and painted. Total fraud. Atlanta (?) FSDO wouldn't get involved to investigate the fraudulent A&P paperwork. Makes one super skeptical !

Find someone close by that might know and verify. It is a small world and we have a great network.

Inlaws were hauling an airplane through Arkansas for me when the trailer broke. Called the nearest airport to where they were. Guy there knew a welder, called him, he knew a welder closer who went out, repaired the trailer and got them going for a few hundred dollars and an hour delay. Never ceases to amaze me. Unfortunately I have seen it go there other way as well.

We got mixed up in a bad deal last year with a kid from NH on a set of 2500 AirGlass skis. He posted em on Facebook for $800. They were in minty condition and no doubt more like a set of $2000 skis.
We called 1st and bought them from him via PAYPAL. We had a fellow SC member that lived 5 miles away in next town. This kid claimed he worked
As a "fireman down in Boston" he screwed us around for nearly a month. We later found out he had "sold em" to numberous other buyers.
And we suspect the 'highest bidders' actually got the skis! He could make up excuse's like you have NEVER heard before. In the end he was a total looser , Paypal saved us by freezing his account. He actually called us up
totally pizzed off because we 'out foxed' him and got him totally shut down. 3 biggies that saved us we finally found out his real name, we got troopers involved, we got ti his Dad, which he was very upset about.
After it was all over, during our investigation of him we found out the
Skis had belonged to his Grandfather who had purchased them new. We had Grandads obituary, from a NH newspaper. So I forwarded him that picture of his Grandfather to his cellphone with this note:
'Bet he would be some proud of you, at this point'.
E

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

SC.org network is probably the best anti-scam group around.

Post where the engine is, and I bet someone will head there to check on things for you quicker than you can pump a set of 35's with a bike pump!!

If around Southeast AK, I would be happy to go look.

We got mixed up in a bad deal last year with a kid from NH on a set of 2500 AirGlass skis. He posted em on Facebook for $800. They were in minty condition and no doubt more like a set of $2000 skis.
We called 1st and bought them from him via PAYPAL. We had a fellow SC member that lived 5 miles away in next town. This kid claimed he worked
As a "fireman down in Boston" he screwed us around for nearly a month. We later found out he had "sold em" to numberous other buyers.
And we suspect the 'highest bidders' actually got the skis! He could make up excuse's like you have NEVER heard before. In the end he was a total looser , Paypal saved us by freezing his account. He actually called us up
totally pizzed off because we 'out foxed' him and got him totally shut down. 3 biggies that saved us we finally found out his real name, we got troopers involved, we got ti his Dad, which he was very upset about.
After it was all over, during our investigation of him we found out the
Skis had belonged to his Grandfather who had purchased them new. We had Grandads obituary, from a NH newspaper. So I forwarded him that picture of his Grandfather to his cellphone with this note:
'Bet he would be some proud of you, at this point'.
E

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Sounds like what I went through trying to get my tailwheel back. I would give anything to have seen his face when I texted him the photo of the empty FedEx office parking lot in Tupelo where he was supposedly waiting for them to open. 8)

Thanks guys for the feedback. The engine is in Pine Mountain Club CA., I have a friend willing to drive from San Diego but that is 200 miles each way.
I don't feel good about having him put that much effort into it. The guy that has it for sale seems kind of hard to get in touch with. I think it is real but he does not seem super motivated so unless he starts to respond quicker to my calls I think I am going to pass.

So I go to the trouble of getting a quote and trying to find someone close to Pine Mountain Club CA.. I email the guy that I am ready to buy that I have my ducks in place and he sends me an email that the engine is in Oklahoma with his grandkids. Really Ugh!!! Not sure why he put Pine Mountain Club in the Barnstormers ad if the engine is not there. He wants me to send a 1000 and once it is ready to send the rest! Ha, I told him I had a network of people that were willing to help and give me the exact location and I would get someone there with the money. I have not heard back and that was 3 days ago so maybe it is a scam after all... Pretty strange anyway.

So I go to the trouble of getting a quote and trying to find someone close to Pine Mountain Club CA.. I email the guy that I am ready to buy that I have my ducks in place and he sends me an email that the engine is in Oklahoma with his grandkids. Really Ugh!!! Not sure why he put Pine Mountain Club in the Barnstormers ad if the engine is not there. He wants me to send a 1000 and once it is ready to send the rest! Ha, I told him I had a network of people that were willing to help and give me the exact location and I would get someone there with the money. I have not heard back and that was 3 days ago so maybe it is a scam after all... Pretty strange anyway.
Run, do not walk in the other direction. Scam or no scam it smells like long dead fish.

Play along with him. Arrange to inspect the engine in OK. 'Wave the money' under his nose and keep him moving. Could be fun.

Web

Back