• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flight Helmets

I don't think it's silly myself.
I think that on a website where you have pictures of supercubs landing amongst large logs on short gravel bars and beaches, supercubs landing on glaciers and ice fields, cubs and a maule on a teeny, rock strewn plateau up in the mountains, links to other web sites with video's of some very admirable airmanship of a gentlman skiing down a river on one wheel, and all sorts of type written techniques for things like slipping with full flaps and VG's that we are not talking simple flying. Maybe still relatively simple machine but I've know guys to get killed in hang gliders. That's pretty simple. Gravity sucks. Get it?
The level of information and skill that is available through this site with the more experienced pilots here (which there are probably more here than at any other site I've been to) is a great tool for people to learn overall and many pilots here already do that edgy flying and don't think much about it. That's great, keep on keepin' on. However it wouldn't be a bad idea for the student pilot from Washington state or Oregon to know what safety gear is available to him when he get's his private next year, buys a cub and blasts off to Alaska to try all the cool stuff he's seen and read about here for the last year.
I mean jeez Stewart, if you think that a picture of a guy standing in front of a cub on a short,hilled glacier section with the valley way below is simple, you need to come out of Alaska for a while and sit next to the 4,000' runway at an airport and watch 172's going round and round to regain some perspective. I've got a friend to visit in Anchorage next summer, I'd love to get with you and have you take me out to something you consider "technical" in skill and danger. It'd probably scare the s**t out of me, I might even wear my helmet! Remeber Stewart we're (at least I am) just trying to help our fellow aviavtors young and old in the game. G :lol:

Excellent Thread. It all boils down to "Reasonable Reduction of Risk" (The three R's of Supercubbing?).

Wearing Nomex doesn't automatically mean wearing a green or orange jumpsuit. I've been wearing fire retardant clothing at work for many years (I'm a Paramedic). I don't do it because I plan on wading into the flames, but I realize that there is a risk I may find myself in a rapidly deteriorating situation someday. I wear latex gloves and face masks for the same reason. Some medics I know that work in the city wear body armor too, but I digress...

The retardant clothes I'm talking about look like Dickies. They are comfortable and don't make you stand out in the crowd.

As a result of this thread, I'm thinking about a helmet now too, but never have worn one while flying in the past.

Since I fly for fun and not profit (And so might be willing to bear the weight penalty), I am watching another safety device closely... The ballistic recovery system. I've seen them on ultralights and some Cessnas, and apparently they are standard equipment on the Cirrus. I haven't seen anything on an STC for the Supercub. Anybody know anything about it?

Amen Stewart........I like Eddy Current's 3 R's ( Reasonable Reduction of Risk). There comes a point where you may become 100% risk free, but to what expense? While canoeing I could wear a wet suit complete with tank, goggles, and flippers and would no doubt be safer but then I wouldn't like canoeing very much either.
I enjoy the freedom of helmetless flight......I like ball caps and t shirts....my Lab rides in the back.....the wind blows in the open door......I'm trying to teach her to sniff out birds at 30' and 40mph but that hasn't happened yet.
I guess the bottom line is "to each his own".....as long as it works for us and we're happy.

p.s. I eat at McDonalds too ! 8)

I've been trying to collect all the silk,wool and nomex clothing I can so I'll be properly attired.But still the day I have my big firey wreck, I'll probably be all decked out in a greasy nylon jacket, tennis shoes and baseball cap.

I think there is a minimum one can do to improve their odds. Mods to the airframe such as solid seatbelt attach points, X bracing, reinforcing the spar/strut attach fitting. Good seatbelts are a must. I currently have a 4pt system out of an OV-1. Wide, strong and with a positive lock up and release. If I have to get out in a hurry I release the lever and the belts fall away. The issue of helments, thank you for the helment links,: I have worn a DC for years. Not really expecting it to protect me from a bad crash but rather, in conjunction with the seatbelts, just maybe I'll have a fighting chance to get out of the airplane, before it sinks or burns. I just want to stay conscious and not have too many lacerations that may cause shock. The DC is comfortable and not at all cumbersome, as I would expect with the bigger military helments. I too wear a floation vest when I expect to fly over water, which is almost always the case as I fly out of Merril Field and cross/return at 600AGL, over Knik Arm. The vest I have is a lightweight model with a CO2 inflation system. This is also a good thing to wear when around the rivers, if you happen to fall into the cold fast water. The Susitna, Yenta and Copper rivers comes to mind.pak

I use a HGU-55 when I fly acro in my experimental and only wore it in the cub a few times. It's the kevlar model with the TPl liner, it's spendy but a nice lightweight helmet, clearance in the cub with cubcrafter seats and 5'10" was no problem. If I were still doing a lot of off airport work in the cub I would be wearing the helmet. With the helmet and foam earplugs the noise level is great and I think you can hear the radio better.

Hope this helps

Hi mvivion,

thanks for your input about the CGF Gallet helmets. I'm a helicopter student and was going to buy one, but had to settle for an used SPH surplus helmet.

Are you familiar with the article of Thomas Nutter?
http://www.flightweb.com/archive/flightmed/2002/07/msg00241.html
I would love to buy the LH 250 from Gallet, but don't want to spend so much money on an inferior helmet, provided that it's true, that the helo versions of the Gallet helmets don't hold up to the test results and requirements of the military rotorcraft helmets from Gentex.

On the http://www.meritapparel.com website it says, that the Gallets hold up to the MIL - H 87 174 specs. Well, is that the specs for fixed wing or rotorcraft. According to Nutter it's fixed the fixed wing specs. which is primarily concerned with the weight of the helmet in hight "G" situations and with braking through the canopy while ejecting.
Do you know of any official comments to those claims of Thomas Nutter who by the way works for flightsuits.com

I'd love to hear your opinion on this specs rumor.

regards

Olli

mvivion said:
Check out http://www.meritapparel.com They sell CGF Gallet flight helmets. These are the best flight helmets I've used, and I've used most of the military type helmets.

Note on the David Clark helmets: They were never designed as a flight helmet. They were specifically designed and are still used as head and hearing protection for flight deck crews on aircraft carriers. The risk there is bonking your noggin on the leading edge of a wing, or drop tank, etc, at walking speeds.

They provide virtually no protection for the area around the temples, and very little protection for the rest of your head, since they don't meet any flight helmet impact standards. If you are wearing one of these thinking it'll protect your head in an aircraft accident, you are fooling yourself. They certainly provide a very little bit of protection, of course, but not much.

The Gallet helmets are spendy, but comfortable and fairly quiet. In my experience, there are almost no helmets that are quieter than a good ANR headset. I have ANR in my Gallet helmet.

As one person noted, make sure you wear the helmet for a while before engaging in a long trip. Hot spots tend to show up after a couple hours and can be really painful.

The "custom fitted" helmets sold by Flight Suits, Ltd, in my experience, really dont fit well at all, even though they have a fairly elaborate fitting process.

Finding a military surplus helmet, and converting it for civil use can be done. Oregon Aero sells fitting kits for many of the military helmets, and they are the only way to go.

Remember that in the military, a helicopter helmet is designed to protect your head from noise and impacts such as a helicopter blade coming through the cockpit, or a transmission coming into the cockpit. The issue in a fixed wing military aircraft is protecting your head in the event you have to eject, and the canopy doesn't depart timely. The noise environment in most fixed wing military aircraft nowadays is pretty quiet, so noise attenuation isn't a big thing on these helmets, but size and weight is-try pulling 8 G's with four pounds on top of your head.

In light fixed wing airplanes, we need to concern ourselves with noise attenuation and impact resistance (top deck tubes, for example). Thus a helicopter helmet such as the SPH 4 or 5 is probably a better choice than the HGU 84 or 55.

That said, the Gallet helmet offers a fairly compact, very lightweight helmet, with good characteristics otherwise as well. Merit Apparel has been absolutely wonderful to deal with, including replacing parts that I dropped in the Yukon River, without charge.

And, no, I don't get a commission.

MTV

helmets

Guys,
Thanks for the helmet input. I re-read the thread again. Two flying friends swear by helmets. I can't go to the specifics because I don't know them however will be shopping soon as my project can't be that much longer...she cries to fly. One friend (above) told me that 3 of his pals would be alive today had they worn helmets. The other and his young son wore helmets when his cub engine ceased on take off. He tried to glide to a nearby lake for a safe dead stick float landing and nearly made it...they cartwheeled into the water at lake's edge. I saw the dented, orange-paint splotched helmets that saved their lives--don't imagine the noggin would have sustained those dents without serious injury. Best for safe and enjoyable flight. Skylar

Helmet

I have had the same, faithful Gentex APH-6 since my brother-in-law gave me one of his "spares" from USMC inventory back in 1974. I have had to replace the foam several times, and, I have recently upgraded the Mic and speakers. I replaced the dual visor system with a single. It's a little clunky but it works and I'm not worried about it protecting my noggin. I will have to ask mr Vivion next time I see him if the Feds purchased his helmet for him.

Olli,

I've been trying to track down the specs regarding helicopter helmets for some time. Ask Merit, and they say the Gallet helmets meet all the helicopter test specs. There is stuff like you reference to the contrary, as you note, often brought up by the competition.

I think that both Gentex and Gallet make a good helmet. The thing that folks often miss is that when I strap one on, I'm apt to be wearing it for seven hours at a time, and doing a lot of looking down and around. A few extra ounces is a big deal there.

For years, I wore a Gentex SPH-5 helmet, which is a great helmet, but after seven hours it feels like it weighs forty pounds. Now, I do know that Army helicopter pilots sometimes endure these sorts of hours in the saddle, but maybe not that often, except perhaps in Viet Nam.

I firmly believe that the fixed wing head protection issue is a very different problem than the helicopter head protection issue. It makes sense to me to use two different helmets for the two jobs.

As to the HGU-55 helmet sold by Flight Suits, it offers pretty limited protection, in my mind. As noted, it's designed to work in jet fighters in a high g environment, and primarily protect the wearer's head in an ejection sequence. All in all, a very different environment than most of us work in.

I think any good quality helmet is better than none. I do think, however, that this argument will continue for some time, and I'm not sure anyone will ever build a helmet that fits all missions.

And, yes, Randy, you folks bought my helmet. Then again, you get to pay the damages if they occur. Helmets are cheaper.

Mike

helmets

Randy,
Thanks for sharing the Ag story. McCurcy has a great sense of humor and, doubltless, "someone" looking over him. Best. Skylar

Skylar.....you are welcome.
After reading that story, NOMEX kinda went to the top of my want list for fine flying attire.
After going through what the author did....makes you wonder how he can maintain such a great sense of humor.
Randy

mvivion said:
Olli,

I've been trying to track down the specs regarding helicopter helmets for some time. Ask Merit, and they say the Gallet helmets meet all the helicopter test specs. There is stuff like you reference to the contrary, as you note, often brought up by the competition.

I think that both Gentex and Gallet make a good helmet. The thing that folks often miss is that when I strap one on, I'm apt to be wearing it for seven hours at a time, and doing a lot of looking down and around. A few extra ounces is a big deal there.

For years, I wore a Gentex SPH-5 helmet, which is a great helmet, but after seven hours it feels like it weighs forty pounds. Now, I do know that Army helicopter pilots sometimes endure these sorts of hours in the saddle, but maybe not that often, except perhaps in Viet Nam.

I firmly believe that the fixed wing head protection issue is a very different problem than the helicopter head protection issue. It makes sense to me to use two different helmets for the two jobs.

As to the HGU-55 helmet sold by Flight Suits, it offers pretty limited protection, in my mind. As noted, it's designed to work in jet fighters in a high g environment, and primarily protect the wearer's head in an ejection sequence. All in all, a very different environment than most of us work in.

I think any good quality helmet is better than none. I do think, however, that this argument will continue for some time, and I'm not sure anyone will ever build a helmet that fits all missions.

And, yes, Randy, you folks bought my helmet. Then again, you get to pay the damages if they occur. Helmets are cheaper.

Mike

Hi Mike,

thanks for following up on this helmet issue,

I've talked to Quinn G. Wester from Gentex Corp. and he confirmed the Gallet testing issue.
I will also talk to the Gallet people again.
I'm not quite sure what applications I will fly in the future, but I will start out as a flight insructor that's almost for sure. That weight issue is definitely a problem. Although right now, I'm tending more towards the HGU-56/P

I think I'm informed enough now to make a decision on what helmet I feel comfortable to buy.

Thanks again

regards

Oliver Hanisch

Ollie,

I also found a resource the other day, that was put together by a spinal doc, talking about potential spinal damage in an "average" accident sequence.

The point is, if your helmet weighs a lot, it could, in effect, kill you by causing spinal injuries.

He found the breaking point (pun intended) to be around 3.75 pounds, as I recall. Helmets in excess of that weight increase exponentially the likelihood that the wearer will suffer spinal injuries in a frontal deceleration. Anyway, I looked at all the Gentex helmets, and with the exception of the HGU 55, they all weigh just over that amount, after they are equipped with avionics.

I think this is in some ways a bigger issue than comfort and maybe even penetration protection.

Think about the problem we face in a fixed wing accident: Large forward deceleration, with a good chance that you'll knock your noggin on an instrument panel, forward v-braces, etc.

The helicopter problem: More vertical deceleration, with lots of high speed blade shaped things entering the cockpit from all angles.

These are very different scenarios, and I suspect, require very different solutions.

I would note that the Army, when they started adding NVG technology to their helmets, put all that stuff on a frangible mount, presumeably so that it would come loose, and not add to the insult to the guys head deceleration.

All food for thought. Everything I've found so far on the CGF helmets is put out by the competition.

I have not been able to find the mil specs or other standards yet, but I'm still looking.

MTV

Does the gallet helmet work with prescription glasses?

And is their ANR system very good? (currently using telex stratus 50d, but when turn head of course they unseal a bit)

I wear very large aviator style sunglasses, and the single visor on the Gallet helmet fits fine over the glasses, though it is close.

The ANR is about the best Ive found, almost comparable to Bose, and lasts at least 25 or 30 hours on a set of batteries.

MTV

I don't wear a helmet in my plane but when you think about it, it's better to look stupid with a helmet on then cool with your head split wide open.

George and Charliee the local Husky drivers, have some pretty cool helmets that are form fitted to their noggins. The next time I see them I will ask who made them.

I would not mind doing the helmet thing. I used to wear one for Uncle Sammy doing the rotor gig. ( I tried coverting one and the impedence was wrong on the electronics according to the guys at Northern Lights avionics)
But I can't have a bunch of different sizes for clients ...and I wonder what they would say with me wearing a helmet and them only getting a float vest.....

You mean my SuperCub.org ball cap isn't giving my head enough protection?

I like the idea of an Airforce flight suit to show off my "can" out in the villages though. That's why you really wear it Mike, isn't it? Crash

I have and wear the Gallet ( as Recommended by MTV and fitted by Merit Apparel) with the ANR. Frankly, I seldom fly without it.

Only one complaint. The heat sensitive padding fits like a cardboard rock in the winter unless you take it into the cabin with you, and then wear it during preflight. I do and it is warm.

SB, I still have a fit finding where to mount the ANR box.

Now another question Nomex or CarbonX???

Gary Reeves

Something that always sticks in my head, I was putting my plane on wheels one spring day out at PAFA around 1997 or so, a Sedan if I remember right passed by me. The pilot had a helmet on, and he had a dog (collie) in the back. I kind of chuckled to myself, thinking i'd only use one of them helmets if I flew a PA-11 or J3. Anyway I seen him take off and come in for a touch and go. I never seen a plane bounce so high. I thought he was going to lose it. The dog looked terrified through the back window. I was concerned for a bit but it was too funny, I fell over laughing. I think the dog jumped up front and made things worse. The pilot got it under control and saved it. I always thought maybe he should have gotten his dog a helmet instead. A trooper I know said he wouldn't ever fly with out a helmet. Seen too many crashes I guess.

Gary, I bought the Gallet helmet first without ANR, used the earbuds and didn't like them, then sent the helmet back to have ANR installed. I have had trouble getting the ANR to function properly...as compared to the David Clark's I have with Headsets, Inc ANR the David Clark's are FAR superior.

I phoned Rob at Merit and he sent me some extra pads to try to get a better fit, only with some small changes in how the ANR worked. Did you have any trouble with that ??? If so, what did you do to get a better fit. Also, how tightly did you have to get the padding to fit before the ANR worked as advertised?

I appreciate anything you might offer.

Randy

Forgot something, sorry...

What are you folks doing for the reading glasses problem with the Gallet helmet visors. I am not finding good luck with reading glasses, per se, but have messed around with Rayban's with those little stickon corrections put on the lower portion, and it gets me by.

Anyone out there with a better idea?

Thanks

Randy

Back