• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

snow on the wings

pak

Alaska/NE Washington
Just a 'heads up', be careful who you have brush the snow of your cub's wings. Dropping the broom with force upon the ribs(especially stock piper ribs can flatten the tops). I can imaging that those with extended leading edges could have the trailing edges dented the same way. Shovels are a No No. I'm off the put on the boards, good flying.pak

Snow

I just cleaned 12" off my wings. What I found works best is to fire up my Ski Doo Superwide, back it along the back edges of the wing, stand in the rack and pull the snow off the entire wing, front to back, with a shop broom. Crash

snow machine wing brushing

Do you suppose a Polaris or Yamaha could work as well?
Do you think the campus cops at ANC would mind if I rode over to brush off my wings? :)

Crash,
Good idea for the Scandik SW. Used my Super Wide to pull my plane up onto the strip. Kinda got caught with my pants down and had to put my skis on in a tight spot.
The world can resume to normality now that my PA-12 is parked in front of the house, down on the lake.
Maybe we will get a little winter this year!

Ron

I'm with you Ron it will be great to have the plane parked back in front of the house. How much ice do you have at your place any overflow? I have not checked my place but am sure there is plenty of ice after the heavy snow I am more worried about overflow.

Cub_Driver

Winter

We can hope. I hated last year's mild winter. We need more below zero weather and another 3' of snow. I don't know if a Polaris or Yamaha wide track would work. They might if you have a Ski Doo Superwide along to pull them out when they get stuck. Crash

Crash,
I slid my truck into the ditch a couple of years ago. The only living soul for miles was my wife's ex-husband, who she didn't want to see. I unhooked the trailer, pulled my YAMAHA Viking off the trailer, and pulled the truck out of the ditch. Japanese technology works just fine!
SB

Cub Driver

We got lots of ice I'm guessing about 7" and we usually don't have any problem with overflow here on Visnaw.

Ron

I went to our local commercial paint supply store and bought the best extendable roller handle they have. It fits a synthetic shop broom head just fine. It extends from 6' out to 10'+. I can sweep the wings without standing in the way, and far enough back to see what I'm doing. Works great.
SB

Modified Shop Handle

I took a shop broom with a metal handle and bent a curve in the handle about a foot or so from broom head using a pipe bender. The offset is maybe 15-25 degrees. Now I can reach up onto the wing and pull the show off without the handle touching the leading or trailing edge and the brush is better aligned to the wing surface. I also can always tell which broom to use on the plane so I don't worry about dragging a dirty broom over the finish or the skylight.

Add foam pipe insulation to the broom handle and you won’t dent stuff if handle touches the wing. If it is cold out I will leave a few inches of snow on the wings. It will prevent frost buildup and brushes off East leaving a clean wing to fly with, no covers needed. Sunny days will reflect enough light onto the bottom of a Cessna wing to melt the snow on top leaving ice below the snow so be aware of that.
DENNY

I have a hangar, and it's heated.

But, the amount of time and effort needed to clear snow in front of the hangar, even with equipment (chained up Kubota with a rear blower and front blade) it may be quicker and easier to brush snow off! I get drifts 4 to 6' high.

An overnight edit:
AND SOME GUYS, WITH HEATED HANGARS, WHINE ABOUT HAVING TO CLEAR THE SNOW IN FRONT OF THEM ! Ha ha, it struck me after I posted that above, I was being a whiny girly man, what a rough life I have, boo hoo. 12" on the wing? I'd go crying to mommy, I'm spoiled. I like the purpose bent handle on the broom, and the telescoping handle, no snowmachine required.

Last edited:
Back