• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kydex

S

StewartB

I know what it is and where to get it. What I'd like is some feedback from anyone that's used it. I'm still considering it for my 12's interior, or at least parts of it. It's readily available here in .028, .040, and .060 thickness.
SB

It's tough. It cleans-up nicely with 409 or whatever you have. It can be bent in a bending break and cut on a shear. It has an attractive texture on one side, and an attractive smooth-almost shiny other side. I've used it in Beavers for nearly every piece of the interior installation.

It's weak point is the weight, which "light" it ain't, even in the .028" thickness.

Though probably not much heavier than an aluminum Cub interior, and the Kydex won't need any paint on it that will scratch off, etc., but heavier, nonetheless.

I've seen fibreglass sheet used as interior panels on a -14 and would rather have Kydex than the fiberglass.

Good Luck.

My opinion is that Kydex would make a great Cub interior if you don't mind the extra several (???) pounds over an aluminum interior.

DMC

Dave,
I've got a fiberglass interior in the Cessna, and after a few seasons it looks beat-up. (Scrapes, gouges, etc.) That's my concern with aluminum. Kydex will look good for longer. I'm investigating the weight. I'll post the answer when I get it.
SB

StewartB, Yeah, the fiberglass sheet looks nice when new, too.

I have one customer with the molded-fiberglass Cessna interior and I'm not a fan of the thing. It DOES tend to chip, etc., and if you have to put a hole in it for a seat attach point, etc. the chipping is even worse. I'd prefer even the Cessna OE interior to that new glass stuff. Kinze's interiors are definitely decent, thicker, tougher, yet a bunch of work to grind, fit, etc. . Everything's a compromise, EH???

Steve, Kydex is a plastic sheet available in numerous colors and thicknesses. It is probably a poly-ethylene plastic (anyone know for sure?). It takes a bend from a bending break and is quite tough and flexible. I haven't bought a sheet in maybe 6 years and don't remember the cost. One side is lightly textured, the other semi-glossy. I've always installed it texture-out.

DMC.
--------

Prayed for snow, and it worked!!!!!

Steve,
Kydex is a blend of vinyl and acrylic. It comes in an FAA approved (flame tested) grade, which shears on sheet metal shears, and can be broken or heat formed. It's what the plastic interior parts in an airliner are made of. The .028 has a leather grained face. I have some samples of different colors and thicknesses, and I'm considering it for the headliner and side panels of my 12. I'm not sold on it, but I am definitely considering it. Kydex won't dent or have paint scrapes. The weight issue remains to be answered.
SB

As Stewart mentioned, Kydex can be heat formed. I've used it to build custom knife sheaths and tactical holsters. It forms fairly easily with heat, but it is nearly impossible to glue.

There is one outfit (I can't remember which one) which sells an adhesive for it, but it is horribly expensive (something like $75 per 1/2 oz). Admittedly, you probably wont need to glue it in an aviation application, but you might want to attach upholstery or cloth to it after it gets scratched. Most people I know use rivets to join it. As Dave said it is also fairly heavy.

KYDEX

RE:THIS KYDEX PRODUCT-WHAT GRADE IS THE ONE TO USE-ACCORDING TO KYDEX WEB SITE THERE ARE OVER 24 DIFFERENT GRADES

Some very interesting weight information, especially knowing most guys think Kydex is heavy.

.016 alclad aluminum- .23# per square foot
.020 alclad aluminum- .29#

.028 Kydex- .197#
.040 Kydex- .281#

Aluminum weight per Hadco Aluminum's website.
Kydex weight per Kleerdex Corp. customer service (phone).
Kleerdex is the manufacturer of Kydex.
SB

D Cub Nut- Kydex 6565. Look at the Kydex site/sheet products/applications/aircraft interiors.

Stuart, I also considered the Kydex for my PA-18 I am building up now. I went to CAS Plastics in Wasilla and looked at some samples to see how rigid and heavy it was, compared to aluminum. I felt the the .028 was too flexable and needed to go to the .040 so it wouldn't oil can. The .040 seemed heavy when picking it up compared to .016 aluminum. I didn't have a scale with me to compare the actual weight. In the end I went with .016 aluminum and had it powder coated in a gray hammer metal finish that wears well, cleans up easily and looks good. My 2 cents. Crash

kydex

of the interiors ive seen, what catches my eye is the ones that have used .020 aluminum covered with duponts cordura, thin, fairly light and looks nice, wears well. the only thing i always forget to ask is what there gluing the cordura to the aluminum with? it comes in different shades of yellows,reds,blacks, pretty much any color.

I've used Kydex for various thermoformed parts with good results.
Kydex is half the weight of aluminum:
Specific gravity of aluminum is 2.70
vs. 1.35 (color dependent) for Kydex.
Mark

Does anyone know the combustion properties of Kydex? In a fire, would it behave like polyester or polystyrene?

The simple answer is that it's self-extinguishing, similar to PVC. It will disintegrate in a fire, but won't support combustion when the flame source is removed.
SB

I played with some .040 on a break today. Very nice stuff to work with. I figure the weight penalty of .040 Kydex versus .016 aluminum with powder coat will be about 4 pounds. I'm going with the Kydex. I recognize that I'm not a very patient airplane loader. Dent resistance is a good thing. I'll just have to shave 4 pounds off the pilot.
SB

Let's see if I can wake up this thread too...

Are there other alternatives than Kydex (except alu and fiberglass)?

Kydex is not very common here in Sweden but I like the "cut and fit" idea. I have found other textured plastic materials here - but they have been flammable, to say the least...

I will replace the old naugahyde-wrapped alu panels so everything will be lighter than that...

/Mattias

I'm having trouble finding a source for Kydex in the Memphis area.
I'm only doing two planes andI don't really want to order a whole case of 80 4x8 sheets. Any suggestions?
JimC

Aircraft Spruce lists ABS plastic sheet that meets FAR 25.853 burn requirements, smooth one side, texture the other. It is .063" x 23.5" x 54" for $29.95.

Jim,
Here is a link to the manufacturer. Ask their customer service reps for a stocking distributor in your area. They were very helpful for me when I called with questions.
http://www.kydex.com/
SB

Thanks, Stewart.
For 6185, there is a minimum order from the manufacturer of 90 4x8 sheets. However, 0.028 'T' is available from Norrel Plastics in Memphis in single sheet orders at about $50/sheet (half that of the link given earlier in this thread). Does anybody know if the thermal deformation characteristics of 'T' are good enough? 'T' deforms at about 30 degrees less than 6185.

JimC

Thanks, Stewart.
For 6185, there is a minimum order from the manufacturer of 90 4x8 sheets. However, 0.028 'T' is available from Norrel Plastics in Memphis in single sheet orders at about $50/sheet (half that of the link given earlier in this thread). Does anybody know if the thermal deformation characteristics of 'T' are good enough? 'T' deforms at about 30 degrees less than 6185.

JimC

T is FAR rated. I forget the number. Piedmont plastics is ~$35 per sheet for .028 white.

Tim

Tim. I dont think I can believe your pricing of 35$ for a 4x8 sheet of .028. Even if that was the 2003 price.

Also. as Crash Senior pointed out back then. .028 Kydex doesnt have the stiffness I would want. So you have to go thicker,and heavier.

My latest interior is .020 2024T3 Alu. fabricating it now. 4x12 sheet around 200$

I bet you miss your Dad when reading this old stuff Gabe?

Yeah, it's always been kind of a trip running across his old posts when I search for various things. He would probably love seeing my brother and I properly getting into flying.

BTW that interior still looks just as good as the day it was installed. If you're going to do a hard surface interior he was right, .016 aluminum is the way to go. Maybe .020 if you're hard on your interior. Still got a full sheet of .016 in the hangar in Nikiski waiting to be used to complete Dad's last cub build. Might need to post some about that plane when I get around to working on it seriously.

Tim. I dont think I can believe your pricing of 35$ for a 4x8 sheet of .028. Even if that was the 2003 price.

Also. as Crash Senior pointed out back then. .028 Kydex doesnt have the stiffness I would want. So you have to go thicker,and heavier.

My latest interior is .020 2024T3 Alu. fabricating it now. 4x12 sheet around 200$

I bet you miss your Dad when reading this old stuff Gabe?

Hi Dave,

$33.86 for .028 and $53.75 for .040.

This is for a headliner for my 206.

Crash left us way too early.

Tim

Back