• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil filter kit

I had two of the ADC 3micron remote filters on my B55 baron, very good however they were really critical as to the torque in insure a seal between the two halfs. The Oil lines take up quite a bit of room as they are 1/2 hoses.

The spin on filter would be a better choice on a cub, as the filters are readily available.

Personally I prefer the B & C unit as there are NO remote hose connections and it is very well made and compact/light

Tim

(see my photos for pictures of the installation on a PA12, similar for an 18 except less room between the firewall and the unit/oil temp sender)

Just purchased my first cub, PA18, 160.

Does the BC oil filter adapter fit ok behind the engine and is it easy to get the filter off. Many of the cub photos I looked at while in the buying mode show the remote oil filter adapter??

Scott

It fits ok, is a little tight (but what isn't) What is tight is the Tach cable and the space left for the oil temp sender line (be sure that there is a good vibration loop) and don't twist it off when installing. Also the bolts for the Vacumn pad are pretty close and if you have an BC pad alternator it is a pretty tight fit (initial installation)

My personal opinion is it is the best filter adaptor made! (high quality, and great customer support from Bill.

PM me if you want an opportunity to see one up close and personal

Tim

Is anyone using the AEC/ECI AEL22772-1 spin-on oil filter adapter and a front scoop mounted oil cooler? I'm trying to locate the right parts/fittings to connect the oil cooler outlet line (routed over top of the engine) to the accessory case. With the adapter+filter in place, there's not enough clearance to connect the tubing to the elbow. Installation pics/diagrams would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Bought an ADC for my cub a couple of years ago, and had to return it. Couldn't find room to mount it. Went to the spin-on instead, which I like fine.

Further to above, I may have found a way. I'll leave the cooler line installation as is, but add an extension (P/N AEL22776-X, where X is the thickness of the extension) under the adapter. These extensions move the filter 0.75", 1.40" or 2.50" aft. For the -18, the 1.40" provides enough clearance to keep the old cooler line installation while maintining the min 0.50" clearance to the firewall.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating an FAA-PMA spin-on filter. And yes, they do have a drain plug.

Nick

Further developments...

Eci advertises these extensions as PMA'd, but after talking to Jim P., it turns out that only the 3/4" extension is PMA'd. And even that one is problematic: Though the extension is PMA'd, the longer (1 3/4") Hex bolts the kit (AEL106-1) calls for are not. (See Eci S.I. 03-2, for details) Also have problems getting PMA'd gaskets to fit. According Jim, their engineers say to use standard hardware.

Sorry if I misled anyone. I, too, was led down the garden path. They're supposed to be working on the problem. Will keep you posted.

Back