• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Weight and balance

vanair

South Africa
I own a 52 Super Cub and only have copies of the flight manual(if you can call it that).
The weight and balance sheets are also copies. Now every time I want to check weight and balance (which does not occur too often) I have some difficulty doing it.

I have a sheet that gives the weight of the aircraft plus the approved C.G. range vs weight.
The next page gives me three tables with Most forward C.G. Utility and normal category, Most rearward C.G. utility category and Most rearward C.G. normal category.

Do I miss something and can the procedure for working out the C of G with one up or two up with luggage etc. be confirmed.

Thanks

Pieter

Hi TJ

Have you received my mail?

I do have the latest w&b that was done two years ago. But I do not have the formal process as how to work it out "according to the book" :cry: ?

Regards

Pieter

Pieter,

You should have a weight and balance "envelope" with the airplane. If not, you can draw one, based on the most forward, and most aft acceptable limits for your aircraft, including the forward limits, which change with gross weight. You really don't even need an envelope drawn, just do the math, and find out if you are within the parameters given in the flight manual, and weight and balance.

You will need to know the locations aft of datum for wherever you are going to add or subtract weight (ie: front seat, fuel, back seat, baggage) all of which should be either in the POH or on the flight manual.

Now its simply math, in accordance with the procedures for calculating a W&B for any aircraft.

Mike V

Back