• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Autopilot STC

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Ok, I know it is not practical, it is heavy, etc, etc, etc, BUT still I am curious if there has ever been an autopilot installed and field approved in a non-experimental PA-18... (I think the Pepsi cub has one, but it is experimental)

sj

P.S. SOMEBODY has to ask the stupid questions around here... :crazyeyes:

sj..........when I was in Afton, WY earlier this month at the ( ahem) Husky factory I looked at a Husky that had an STec 50 installed with a field approval. I believe he told me that he had to fly his Husky to the STec factory and have them either check or oversee the installation in order to get it approved.

I asked him WHY anyone would want an autopilot in an airplane such as a Husky. His answer " I like to read on long trips".

Well, those Husky guys are all into the gadgets I guess...

sj

steve said:
Ok, I know it is not practical, it is heavy, etc, etc, etc, BUT still I am curious if there has ever been an autopilot installed and field approved in a non-experimental PA-18... (I think the Pepsi cub has one, but it is experimental)

sj

A look in the big STC book in the sky shows zip...

Steve,

I've done a little research on this matter and at a recent flyin the Century people told me that if I flew my sc to there factory they would use it to generate the STC. Now I haven't called there bluff but it was a promising response and I will probably do it if I keep the cub. As far as weight, a lite starter and alt. allows for no weight change and then some. Because many of my trips are 500 plus miles before I get where I'm going it would be a nice feature. The STEC would be a better choice because they offer more features through the use of the turn and bank as opposed to the Century which only offers wing leveler with the turn and bank (turn coordinator). Obviously if you don't have a DG ,to get full use of the autopilot you will need one. I'll keep you posted.

j

Jeffrey,

Please do. Will STEC not offer the same thing?

Although I don't know if I would install one or not, I DO like autopilots on longer trips and in IFR situations where you need some time to read charts, etc, or deal with puking passengers (I eject them), etc.

I never use the heading bug mode of autopilots so I don't care too much about the DG business.

sj

Steve I can see that you are flying to high. You should try some night flying in the canyons of Montana with night vision goggles. and screw the auto pilot.

No usually accused of that, but NVG in the mountains, well I better leave that to somebody else for now...

sj

autopilots

I built an RV-7A with an experimental Digitrack II in it. I thought that was one of the nicest gadgets I've ever used. if one flew into IMC, it would really save your bacon. When night flying, to be able to flip it on when you are approaching class C airspace was really nice - it would free up your hands for maps/books/writing things down etc. by keeping the wings level.
so now I own a certified supercub. suppose I install an experimental digitrack auto pilot. suppose I use it for many years then i'm involved in a landing accident - due to a wind gust. what might happen? would the FAA fine me for having installed an experimental autopilot? would my insurance company exclude this claim? I might one day find myself in clouds and be very glad I had an autopilot. My insurance company will insure experimental cubs - so what's the big deal if I install an experimental autopilot? The prices of certified autopilots are rediculous anyway. The digitrak one I had was truely amazing.
What's the down side to installing an experimental autopilot?
cliff

Re: autopilots

OVEREASYGUY said:
would the FAA fine me for having installed an experimental autopilot? would my insurance company exclude this claim?

Answers to above:
1) Yes, and
2) Yes

Steve,
Jim Younkin had a lot to do with the Century autopilot development, and has recently produced a digital auto pilot. He's a buddy of Dr. Doug's, in Arkansas. Doug put the system in his Moose. Would be interesting what Jim might say about a cub install. I'm sure it's presently for experimental aircraft. I think his company is called True Trak.
Wilbur

My Dad saw Jim at Blakesburg a few years ago. Jim drew out how to install an autopilot in his Clipper on a napkin. He said you coulds kick it out of the way in case of an accident. Feds and insurance would be a problem.

steve said:

sj

Steve-

I see where you are going with this. Just after the autopilot gets installed you will want to put the personal DVD screen in for those long flights. :eek:

-Tim

Autopilot

I will watchout for those Huskys. Those guys are the more educated types who like to read about all those places that you can go in a Supercub,when they are at the flight levels ,withcenter,going somplace! :D

Back