Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the lightest weight 0320 PA18 you know of?

Post Thanks / Like
    The super legend weighs 862 # as it is now with the new Lyc 233. All have the sail cloth side panels for easy service of whatever sistems are under it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember this one in Sidney, MT as being pretty light: 160hp - no electrics

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice toys, PA18,PA11 and a T28. The lightest cub I know of with an elec system etc is Coyote Ugly. It's an experiment though and some guys don't like experiments.

Post Thanks / Like
    My no electric no gyro stock PA18-95 is a tad under 900lbs EW - it also has two wing tanks and greenhouse. Why do -150 (not AK ready) seem to weigh around 1100 lbs + EW. Is the larger engine so much heavier? Or the later SC's were built with some heavier components, e.g. beefed up engine mounts? I am guessing electrics might be 50 lbs but that is a small part of the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    if I remember correct 18=95 no flaps,no flap handle cont motor,unbalanced tail,no hydrosorbs,lighter prop accnt for a lot of weight difference.but in a lot of ways make it good flying plane.ran across some old pamplets on pipers in the late 80s ,bone stock 150 without radios, lights,and 800 tires was quoted 900 ew.your right about a lot of 150s @1100.i built one bare stock with radio ,transpnder,26inch no baggage and still came in 1150 ?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan. issue of AOPA mag. has a full report on the new Super Legend. Note the weight and great pics of various components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug Keller is the weight guru on Stock Liteweight Supercubs !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul Claus' Alpha Cub was 1026# when ACC restored it. He went with an O-320 and forward controls only. I think he was a little disappointed because we were shooting for sub 1000#.
    With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
    "To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility."
    --- Brig. Gen. Robby Risner

Post Thanks / Like
    I stuck my head in Paul's cub a few years back in Valdez. Looked good, I would be happy if I could get under 1050 in mine. I'm at 1110 on skiis (was, being restored now)

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife's Carbon Cub with 180 horse, 31's, baby BW, big tanks, and Garmin G3X weighs 991 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    The title of the thread is: What is the lightest weight 0320 PA18 you know of?
    "To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility."

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's start a new catagory then, dollars per pound....the carbon cub would win hands down....not sure I would want to admit it though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    Let's start a new catagory then, dollars per pound....the carbon cub would win hands down....not sure I would want to admit it though...
    A new thread would be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't 991lb heavy for a CC?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by docstory View Post
    The title of the thread is: What is the lightest weight 0320 PA18 you know of?
    You sound a bit sensitive, how much does your Cub weigh? I fly a Husky, so I can relate.

We worked real hard to keep the weight down on my wife's CC, but she wanted big tanks which adds the weight of the tanks, plus unusable fuel. The weight doesn't seem to hurt her performance one bit, considering most of the time she is flying off airport at about 1,100 pounds. The thing performs closer to a helicopter than any fixed wing aircraft I have been around.

Some years back, I spent a bunch of time having a lightweight 160 horse Cub built, and it weighed 1,122, without much of an interior. The Carbon Cub, in my opinion, obsoletes trying to build a super lightweight Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sensitive, just focused. Comparing a Carbon Cub (light sport) to a PA-18 150 is an apples and oranges affair. Rereading the original posters entry I noticed the date. Since this is from 2003, I suppose a little creep should be expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    George
    The reason your wives CC performs so good is the stick controller is about 100 lbs lighter then most all the others.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    truly original 1959's 18-95 was close to 905 lbs. ( I can't remember exact weight) My cub with 29" ABW is 1012 Lbs. (459 kg but who's counting?)

i wish I would have kept the 95, no flaps, but it flew like a dream!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMandes View Post
    The weight doesn't seem to hurt her performance one bit, considering most of the time she is flying off airport at about 1,100 pounds.
    Oops, make that 1,200 pounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SpainCub View Post
    truly original 1959's 18-95 was close to 905 lbs. ( I can't remember exact weight) My cub with 29" ABW is 1012 Lbs. (459 kg but who's counting?)

i wish I would have kept the 95, no flaps, but it flew like a dream!!!!!
    The stock 18-150 was only about 30 pounds heavier. The safety and ruggedness mods tend to pack on the pounds.