• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cold air induction

Might be some interesting problems from a plastic sump if cold air is one of the results. In theory, the air being heated is atomizing the fuel better for a better fuel air burn and one of the reasons Lycomings have less tendency to carb ice is the warm location it is mounted. Could produce some different operating habits.

diggler said:
I would assume you would have to use carb for every landing like you do with a small Cont. How much is the air heated in a standard Lyc sump?

Not enough... My O-235 is very susceptible to carb. ice...

diggler said:
Why is the 0235 that way?

Got me, twice last winter I got carb. ice in straight and level cruise at over 65% power... Sure woke me up!...

That's interesting, as I have never experineced carb ice in any of the 0235 powered airplanes that I've flown (Tomahawks, PA-12 and an Experimental). Most of the instructors at our local airport have never experienced it in the 0235 either. Maybe it has to do with the location and altitude. We're near Philly and these planes never get much above 3000'.

piperfan said:
That's interesting, as I have never experineced carb ice in any of the 0235 powered airplanes that I've flown (Tomahawks, PA-12 and an Experimental). Most of the instructors at our local airport have never experienced it in the 0235 either. Maybe it has to do with the location and altitude. We're near Philly and these planes never get much above 3000'.

Most of my flying is below 1500' MSL, but I do burn auto fuel and during the winter the air here is moisture saturated...

I'm no expert, but I think the auto gas has something to do with it. My uncle flies a SC with an O290 on auto gas and he has experienced carb icing quite a few times. I will be switching to auto gas soon, as our local airport will no longer be supplying 80, so I will have to keep an eye on the carb icing issue. Thanks your the info.

piperfan said:
My uncle flies a SC with an O290 on auto gas and he has experienced carb icing quite a few times.

That's why I mentioned it, auto fuel is much more susceptible to carb. ice... Now, if I put the Cuby on floats and move to Bora Bora... Hmmm...

O-235-C (100HP) in my PA-11 has carb iced on me only a couple of times.....on sleety, nasty days not much good for flying anyhow.

Haven't used carb heat on the O-320 for years and years.

I brought an experienced Cub, 185, Navajo driver with me flying the other day and he pretty much told me I was wrong for not using heat on approach. He asked me for a good reason to NOT use carb heat on approach and I didn't have an answer for him, but since then have decided "enrichened mixture due to carb heat usage will contribute to plug fouling" is a good answer.

I found out later that the guy I took flying had an O-200 Continental powered T-craft early in his career. Those things will carb ice if the pilots sneezes in the cabin. Suppose his attitude is a hold-over from that.

I like the idea of that lightweight sump.

DMC

Funny, I ran a C-150 for quite a few years training and don't remember getting carb ice but once or twice on nasty days, My Super cubs have always Iced up. Maybe the RPM's I run them at. The C-150 needed almost full power most of the time, I run my super cubs 2100-2200 when its not so hot I need more.

I believe the cold air deal on the acro aircraft is they are usually always fuel injected. That is a different ball park. The colder the air the better,. especially if turboed. All carbed engines will ice if the butterfly valve is in the right position ( low RPM throttle settings) and the correct moisture content in the air at the right temp is present. The venturi temp drop in a carb is supposed to be about seventy degrees and if the moisture content is there at freezing temps, Presto!! Since they use the same basic Mystery Marvel carb on all engines, it's location to a heat source effects it .

Steve's Aircraft (Steve) said:
I believe the cold air deal on the acro aircraft is they are usually always fuel injected. That is a different ball park. The colder the air the better,. especially if turboed. All carbed engines will ice if the butterfly valve is in the right position ( low RPM throttle settings) and the correct moisture content in the air at the right temp is present. The venturi temp drop in a carb is supposed to be about seventy degrees and if the moisture content is there at freezing temps, Presto!! Since they use the same basic Mystery Marvel carb on all engines, it's location to a heat source effects it .

I agree, it doesn't matter if it's a MA-2 or a MA4-5, Marvelous Dribblers :barf are going to ice if the conditions are conducive...

Back