Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is everyone?

Post Thanks / Like

How old is everyone?

I am 51 years old and have had my Super Cub for 8 1/2 years.

Torch

Post Thanks / Like
    42, going on 19 Mus t be all that good, clean livin!
    I have a 1952 SC 150 on PK1800s or 8:50s depending on my mood. I'm also a half owner in a Cherokee six-260, not as much fun, but if you can carry it to the hanger in a suburban, you can get it in there and fly.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Goin' Gray

I'm 38. I learned how to fly in a C-152 with a Bolens tailwheel conversion in 1980. I bought a J-3 C-65 in 2000 and a PA-11 last May.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special

StewartB
    I'm 45, and happy about it. Except for being way too busy, life couldn't be better. I started with a 700 hour TT Hawk XP on floats, moved up to a 180 on floats/wheels/skis, and still have the 180 8 years later. My 12 is a mission-specific airplane ( that's significantly behind schedule.) If it works I'll be smiling, but I can't see ever selling my 180. For all you guys that bash Cessna's, you must've never flown a good 180 or 185. For now, I'm fortunate enough to own two, and intend to keep both for at least a couple of years. Who knows....by then, maybe a Robinson?
    SB
    Likes McAlpine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm only 8 years old, and acting younger all the time, especially since I got a super cub - or so my wife says anyway....

sj

(actually 43)

Post Thanks / Like

How Old ?

Started flying in Fairbanks in 1978. On my second cub. Am 52.

Post Thanks / Like
    32, still a big kid... Been flying for 15 years, got my tailwheel checkout in a supercub 14 years ago and have been hooked on them since, unfortunatly I havent flown on in quite a few years. Hopefully will own one in the next year or so...

I must also agree with Stewartb about 185's...(sorry supercub guys...and I am still more in love with the SC)

Post Thanks / Like
    32, been around planes since I was about 10 yrs old or so. Got legal when I was 27, have a PA12-180 totally restored in 2001. Trying to live by the addage "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but no old bold pilots", would like to be one of the old pilots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Am I the only senior citizen on this form? I just turned 55 and can't believe it. Recieved my Commercial, Instrument, and flight instructer cert. in 1969. The first tailwheel airplane I flew was a Supercub. Seems like yesterday!!! First airplane I owned was a Pa-12 in 1972. I have owned a Cessna 180 with a partner and have owned cubs. I remember an article in one the the aviation magizines from the 70's about Don Sheldon. In the article, he and the author claimed the 180 was the best airplane ever built. If money wasn't an object and I had to choose between the supercub and the 180, it wouldn't be easy, but I'd be flying the 180. Don't take me wrong, I still love those cubs!

Don D

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6 years older than my 1953 SuperCub. It's in better shape . I've been flying since 1967 but having more fun since I bought the 18.
    Gerald
    Likes NunavutPA-12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 57, will be 58 next month. Been a private pilot since 1966. First plane I owned was a J-3 Cub bought while I was still in training. Fell in love with Cubs then and still am now. Curently building an experimental PA-18 replica. So far I am the oldest!
    Charles Aaron

Post Thanks / Like

How old is everyone?

I'll be 57 this week. Got my private in 1968 with my 1953 pa-18-135. I've got 2-1989 pa-18-150's now. One real nice one and one I'm rebuilding. I keep them at my strip about 1/4 mile from home. Ted Smith

Post Thanks / Like
    Both me and my SuperCub were born in '62 -- makes us 41 this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 50, started flying in 1973. In 77 bought half of a pa-12 and recovered it. Have owned and rebuilt 3 cubs, now I have one cub and a c-180.

zane
    I'm 28. I am still working on the essentials, like buying a house, getting a wife, etc...all the things that will likely stand between me and getting my own Super Cub anytime soon. For now, I rent one locally. Been a Private pilot for about 2 months, flying ultralights for 7 years.

Zane

Post Thanks / Like
    I´m 61. untill yet kooks like I´m the oldest. I have made my license in Fairbanks 1988. I bought my PA-18 1989. Mandeld it up several times in learning how to do bushflying. Now I have the same airplane beautifull rebuilt by DAN´S in Anchorage and enjoy the time in Alaska.
    Likes McAlpine liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been waiting for this question for a year now! Figured it was bound to eventually turn up. 24 years old, been flying since I was five weeks, legal since I was 19. Took first ride in, learned to fly in, and took a flight in just last night my father's J-3 Cub. Grew up at Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in upstate New York, got to fly in old airplanes all the time with my dad. I love it all, but Cubs the most!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 50; Supercub is 44. We've been dating for 1.5 years. My wife doesn't seem to mind.

Cubman

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 34, been dreaming of flying all my life, finally got my private pilots license two years ago, and will probably get the tailwheel endorsement this summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I?m 36 and have had our ?53 Super Cub for the last 7 years. Hopefully our 8 year old son will be soloing it in another 8 years and if all goes well I?ll finally be able to take that Alaska round trip in it upon our retirement in 14 more years. (good luck!).

Recently tried to talk myself out of the SC by trading it in on a Stinson L-5. After flying the L-5 I again realized what a great airplane the SC is.

Post Thanks / Like

Young pups

I'm 63 sure don't claim to be the oldest cuz most of the guys I fly with are in there 70's except for my 3 boys. Guess that makes me the young pup . When everything goes to hell I'll paint it black and fly at night or move to the bush in Alaska. Happy cubbing.

Si

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 37, a private pilot since October '02 and a '47 Super Cruiser owner since April '03.

Post Thanks / Like

Turned 50 this year but don't feal like it. At least most of the time. I started back seat
    flying in a pa12 in the mid 60s with my father, been hooked ever since. Got out of
    school 71 and started colecting cub parts. Finished my first cub in 74 and have
    had some sort of project ever since. Planes are my life. Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    43, feel like 70, act like 18. Rode and raced dirt bikes and later on, off road cars from the time I was 7 till I was 32. Got my license at 27, then I had an industrial accident and was forced to give up that life style. Lived my whole life on pain, beer, and adrenalin and have 5 compressed discs in my back to prove it. Been at the same job for 23 years. Have 5 kids, 3 grandkids, and a wife that I?ve been married to for the last few hundred years. My 1965 18-150 is my dirt bike and wife all rolled up in one, she wants all my time, all the money, and is quick to point out when I?m out of line, but what ah thrill!! I don?t mind pleasing her, and right now, I wouldn?t trade her for anything in the world, even if she is an old jalopy?ummm?my Cub that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I'm impressed, most women won't admit their age, I'd have guessed you were mid 30's. My age depends on how much Scotch and Diet Coke Red Baron brings along. I have a 14 and 11 year old boy, my wife has a hard time telling use apart when were playing. Asks if I'll ever grow up. I am my Cub's mechanic. Just bought another dirt bike after a 20 year hiatus from motocross, after 20 years the ground isn't any softer when you hit it. Started flying in the back seat of Dad's J-3 in 1961. Have the same 1977 PA-18 for 12 years and a PA-14 finished rebuild last year. Still learnig how to fly. Am 46 years old, born and raised in Alaska but well traveled. Crash

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 54 this year.The supercub is a 57 and we have been together for 7 years now and still having fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Bio

53 years old. Ironworker by trade. Divorced with three sons one daughter four grandchildren.
    Charter member, former secretary and current Membership chairman and BOD of “Kettle Moraine EAA Chapter 1158, West Bend, WI”. www.eaa1158.org
    Still flying other peoples airplanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    A strange topic . . . but I always find something of interest on this site. I'm just "shy" of 55. I soloed in 1967 and got my pvt. ticket in 1969. My father bought the 1959 PA-18 "95" Delux in 1964. I bought it from him in in 1986. It is part of the family. It was kept on the home dairy farm in Western New York . and still is ( Detroit Sectional, Pvt/Restricted, south of Buffalo). We were called "pasture pilots" because that is where we landed. And as the kid who had to clean the cub after words . . . I was glad when the strip had a fence. The strip started out as 600' with power & high tension lines a ways off of the west end. It was lengthend to 800' for a few years . .and was 1,100' after that. My father was afraid someone was going to get the wires. This past winter saw completion of a fuselage restoration and engine upgrade to 0290-D2. I have the smile that one gets when your "bird" looks good . . . and performs the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 39 and an A&P. My lovely wife is younger than me, and a pilot to boot. She starts Tailwheel training next week, in a 1946 J3. I hope to build a Wag-Aero Super Sport for us to fly in the near future.

Post Thanks / Like
    delete

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Yea:
    For you younger folks, ask an old F##t what a Blazo Box is.

Post Thanks / Like

how old are you

When I was in school I used to borrow my Dad's supercub. Now he uses mine. Looked at his old logbook awile back, I think it started in 1940. By the way he is 88 and still has a current medical. Ted

StewartB
    TJ,
    I remember Blazo boxes well. 60's furniture in Alaska. Put a doily on one and it was formal! You could burn it if you were cold. Stacked in a closet on their sides they were great shoe organizers. Albums fit in them just right. We do remember albums.......don't we? When seated on a sofa your bong was at the perfect height. Oops, that was the 70's.
    SB

Post Thanks / Like

Blazo Boxes

Whats a bong??? Some kind of airplane part I don't know about! Crash

Post Thanks / Like

How old is everyone

Although there are many interesting posts on this site I think this is the one that "humanizes" a few of us. Im 48 (just turned) and I still have the '46 Aeronca that I soled on my 16th B'day. I have been building a homebuilt cub for three years and I am appreciative of all that I have learned from this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm 33 and the son of WIflier. Grew up around airplanes. 3rd generatioin AP. Been working on aircraft since I had enough coordination to crawl down the tail cone of a Cessna and buck rivets. Trying to pass on some of the finer skills it takes to fly/turn wrench on aircraft to my 6yr old son and 3 year old daughter. If I haven't said it lately thanks DAD.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    I turned 29 a few months back and dreading the big 3 0 !! Just kidding. I hope to be as active in aviation when I'm in my sixties and beyond as I am now. I own a '46 PA-12 in original configuration (except the paint) with only 1500 hours on it. She's a joy to fly. When I get my PA-16 up and flying I plan to rebuild the -12 and do all the standard upgrades (-18 tail & flaps w/ 150 horses up front).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 50 years "young". Married with 3 great kids and grandaughter. a 110 lb lab which loves to fly. Been flying since 1969, Working on Cubs since 1969. A&P IA. Have had the joy of owning 22 cubs through the years. Currently own two A models, one of which I've had for 12 years on floats. Love Alaska. I too have been accused of remembering the N numbers of all the airplanes but can't recall a birthday. This is a great format for cub lovers. Have learned several things from it. You can teach an "old dog" a new trick or two. Come North and "lets go fishing" as I am always looking for an excuse to fly.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

How Old Is Everyone

I wasn't going to answer this thread until some other old Farts got in there first. Thought that maybe the FAA would be monitoring this chat.
    I'm 60 and have had only had three affairs during my flying career. Started with a Citrabria 7kcab no flaps no gyros just inverted fuel and oil. Now I have a C-185 and SC pa-18. My only question is why didn't God make women like airplanes?

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't going to answer this thread till some of the young Farts answered. 34...and a half. Age has always been kind of a hinderance in my profession. A lot of "What could this snot nosed kid possibly know about airplanes?" type thing. I always felt I had to work a little harder to gain someones trust. Now that I'm getting a little long in the tooth, it's easier. It's been a while now since I was a kid who walked into a hanger carrying everything I owned in a small tool box, I was happy just to pump gas...I look back at that starry eyed kid now and smile. I have been blessed with the great opportunity to work on and fly just about everything GA has to offer over the years. Some days jets in the morning, Cubs in the afternoon, and everything else inbetween. The challenge is it's own reward, I wouldn't have it any other way. While I have been around many wonderful airplanes, when it comes to owning a plane myself, the only one on the "must have" list, is a Cub.