• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How old is everyone?

how old are you

When I was in school I used to borrow my Dad's supercub. Now he uses mine. Looked at his old logbook awile back, I think it started in 1940. :lol: By the way he is 88 and still has a current medical. Ted

TJ,
I remember Blazo boxes well. 60's furniture in Alaska. Put a doily on one and it was formal! You could burn it if you were cold. Stacked in a closet on their sides they were great shoe organizers. Albums fit in them just right. We do remember albums.......don't we? When seated on a sofa your bong was at the perfect height. Oops, that was the 70's.
SB

Blazo Boxes

Whats a bong??? Some kind of airplane part I don't know about! Crash

How old is everyone

Although there are many interesting posts on this site I think this is the one that "humanizes" a few of us. Im 48 (just turned) and I still have the '46 Aeronca that I soled on my 16th B'day. I have been building a homebuilt cub for three years and I am appreciative of all that I have learned from this site.

Well I'm 33 and the son of WIflier. Grew up around airplanes. 3rd generatioin AP. Been working on aircraft since I had enough coordination to crawl down the tail cone of a Cessna and buck rivets. Trying to pass on some of the finer skills it takes to fly/turn wrench on aircraft to my 6yr old son and 3 year old daughter. If I haven't said it lately thanks DAD.

Matt

I turned 29 a few months back and dreading the big 3 0 !! Just kidding. I hope to be as active in aviation when I'm in my sixties and beyond as I am now. I own a '46 PA-12 in original configuration (except the paint) with only 1500 hours on it. She's a joy to fly. When I get my PA-16 up and flying I plan to rebuild the -12 and do all the standard upgrades (-18 tail & flaps w/ 150 horses up front).

I'm 50 years "young". Married with 3 great kids and grandaughter. a 110 lb lab which loves to fly. Been flying since 1969, Working on Cubs since 1969. A&P IA. Have had the joy of owning 22 cubs through the years. Currently own two A models, one of which I've had for 12 years on floats. Love Alaska. I too have been accused of remembering the N numbers of all the airplanes but can't recall a birthday. This is a great format for cub lovers. Have learned several things from it. You can teach an "old dog" a new trick or two. Come North and "lets go fishing" as I am always looking for an excuse to fly.

How Old Is Everyone

I wasn't going to answer this thread until some other old Farts got in there first. Thought that maybe the FAA would be monitoring this chat.
I'm 60 and have had only had three affairs during my flying career. Started with a Citrabria 7kcab no flaps no gyros just inverted fuel and oil. Now I have a C-185 and SC pa-18. My only question is why didn't God make women like airplanes?

I wasn't going to answer this thread till some of the young Farts answered. 34...and a half. Age has always been kind of a hinderance in my profession. A lot of "What could this snot nosed kid possibly know about airplanes?" type thing. I always felt I had to work a little harder to gain someones trust. Now that I'm getting a little long in the tooth, it's easier. It's been a while now since I was a kid who walked into a hanger carrying everything I owned in a small tool box, I was happy just to pump gas...I look back at that starry eyed kid now and smile. I have been blessed with the great opportunity to work on and fly just about everything GA has to offer over the years. Some days jets in the morning, Cubs in the afternoon, and everything else inbetween. The challenge is it's own reward, I wouldn't have it any other way. While I have been around many wonderful airplanes, when it comes to owning a plane myself, the only one on the "must have" list, is a Cub.

53. When did that happen??? Got my licence to wreak havoc on the heavens on Labor Day 1995. Now I'm teaching ground school, on the local Aviation Safety Council, and active in my EAA chapter. Also volunteered to help a Girl Scout troop with the aviation badge in the fall.

Had 5 motorcycles before I started to fly, but when I got married only had one, and then none. Tim (who's a non-pilot) bought my plane for me as a surprise last summer, and it sure was! I'm finally getting on a first-name basis with it, but knowing what you guys can do with one of these is pretty daunting to a new tailwheel pilot like myself. After years of flying Archers, I'm finally learning to really pay attention to the windsock and to my landing technique. Even taxiing is a challenge sometimes!

I'm the only one in my family who flies, and I usually get a blank stare when I (attempt to) talk about flying. You folks who share this hobby (or profession) (or obsession) with someone close to you are really lucky!

Anne.

38. I know what you mean Mark. Took a long time for me to gain any respect from some of the real mechanics. Some got mad cause I asked a lot of questions but the really good ones took me under their wing and showed me how to be a mechanic. I have learned tons from a few. One told me oonce that you can learn from the guy who sweeps the floor. I have met some really great people in this aviation community and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

I'm 47, took the fatal first taste of 'Cub' in '98, a J3 with floats. The Cherokee was never the same after that. Resisted until a couple of years ago and bought into a 1951 L18c (PA18-95). Fly from a farm strip. Rode bikes all my life, currently ride a Triumph Tiger 900 triple. Wife and two children, none into flying. Long term aim, to build an experimental Supercub.

Pete

57 years young...

Bought my first airplane, a Cub, when I was 15, soloed it when I turned 16... Now I'm flying my 31st airplane/helicopter, a 115 hp Cuby... My bike is a 145 hp 1985 Yamahaha V-Max, definitely goes faster than I can think...

I was an airplane mechanic in Spokane, A&P in '68, IA in '72, until 1990 when I went to work as a DOT Supervisor in "Lovely Fresno"...

The most important parts of my life are my two lovely grandchildren who live in Seattle, my understanding wife, and my faith in God...

37 years old, been in Alaska dreaming about planes, fishing and hunting for over 30 years. Now have a 85 hp T-Craft and a '65 150 hp Cub. I'm pretty attached to the T-Craft since it taught me how to fly but the Cub occupies most of my time now.

K.S.

I turned 50 today...sure seems older than I feel. I bought a PA-12 and learned to fly it in '76, but had to sell it and got away from flying about three years later for "domestic" reasons (housebuilding, wife, kids, etc.) Got back into it in '98 because my son showed interest, and my interest never had gone away. Bought a 105 Special, and a year ago traded up for a '63 model PA-18 with mods and 160hp, and love flying it.

Rode hard put away wet...act 18, look 28, paper says 38, body says 88....
4 incredible kids from 15 to 19. Enlisted in the Marine Corps in '82 with dreams of flying hueys for 20, then retiring to AK to fly hunters out in cubs and 180's (kids - passion #1, cub #2 hunting#3) the gods decided against enlisted/warrant officer pilots for the Marines, and the family was growing...flying was out :cry: Fast fwd a few years... Family's almost all growd up, I was hunting in AK, paying someone to fly me out, thought ya know? bet this guy puts his pants on one leg at a time too? Started up the flying thing again hard! Didn't stop going to schools till I had all the ratings/certs/enorsments. Bought a 18-150 and ain't looking back, Move over Andy we'll be neighbors in 2 more years(when Lauren Grad's)....lol
One more thing... brought up my 4th pasion once before (American V twins) locals got all excited, thought I was comparing Harley and Cubs?
Couldn't help but notice all the motorcycle riders here? a similar feeling of freedom? (no comparison though :p )
Saw My favoriet new saying on this site...Not all that wander are lost
Semper Fi...Rob

58 here.........started flying in '67.......first TW was in '69.... a 135 Champ that sat unused on the ramp and the farmer who owned it gave me carte blanche to fly it ( no TW experience, but I learned in a hurry). Have owned cubs starting in 73 ( J-3's, PA-11's, and most all Super Cubs)

Thank you Supercub.org for providing some new playmates.

...........and Dana is really 66 but those KC ribs keep her ageless and tolerant ! :lol:

38. Started flying in 67 in the baggage compartment of a J3 with my brother and sister in the backseat and dad in front. First official solo was on my 16 birthday in a PA11. Bought a wrecked Super Cub in 94 and spent 5 years rebuilding it then sold the PA11 after having it in the family for 22 years when the 18 was done. Spent 3 years in the Army after high school as a ATCS. Then went to Lake Area Vo Tech in Watertown SD for 2 years to get my A&P licence. Been working for the FAA since 88.

Sixty five. It does sneak up on you. Began in 1967 in Fairbanks, AK with a J-5-85, followed by a Champ, 170B, PA-11-90 and a new Supercub in 1977. Sold Cub and left AK in 1982. Completed an experimental Supercub in 1997 with a 125 Lyc and many AK mods. Nothing as great as flying a cub in AK. I just returned from AK last Sun. Flew up with a friend in his 185, two days in Idaho back country, Juneau via Cassiar HWY/Dease Lake. Landed on the beach west of Glacier Bay, east of Seward and west of Anchor Point. Shared the beach and salmon with the bears and eagles. Beautiful country. Will live out of my cub and explore AK the summer and fall of 2005 when I retire.

My body is 56... the rest of me varies from day to day.

Soloed on 16th birthday in J-3 Cub..... haven't looked back since.

My body is 57... the rest of me varies from day to day.

Soloed on 16th birthday in J-3 Cub..... haven't looked back since.

My PA-12 was 15 when I was born. Got my license in it (on skis) 6 years ago. After the rebuild is finished, it will be 40 years younger than I am.
KLM

A friend of mine told me once that he read where the average floatplane pilot is in his/her 50's. From what I see here that probably holds true for Super Cub pilots also. By the way, I don't act my age. I like being young at heart. :evil: :evil:

Torch

I'm 27 and I own a 1946 PA-12-150 that is just coming out of a total (and I do mean total) rebuild with my dad. I haven't flown it yet, but it should be ready to fly by the end of the year. The goal was to make a stock looking airplane (original instruments, paint scheme, etc.) with some mods like flaps, 150hp, extended baggage and the 18 tail. I will post some pictures when it's finished. I'm in Dallas, TX, so I don't need to get radical like most of you in the north and west.

Mike J.

I turned 42 this past Tuesday, July 15. Thought to post on my birthday, but friends and good conversation took up the day. :D

Built scale model planes as a boy in Michigan; the best flying free flight one was a balsa and tissue Super Cub that was made for an .020 motor, that I later modified with a .049. I adjusted the glide by trial and error with power off hand launches down our hill behind the barn, by bending trim tabs cut from an aluminum can and pushed into knife slots in the trailing edges. Trimmed it to climb under power in circles, so it wouldn't just disappear. My Dad did run a mile onto the neighbors farm to follow and retrieve it one evening.

Paid off my first pickup truck and then saved cash to buy an ultralight in 1984. Then age 23. Met a guy name Whitman that was very generous with the use of his grass strip, that helped facilitate everything. The engine outs in that plane were quite memorable. Vibration and my inexperience frapped it out in 80 hours. Couldn't climb over Appalachian Mountain ridges in a headwind, either.

I dreamed of flying to and in Alaska. The desire burned bright. :angel:

Bought a Maxair Drifter, and flew it another 170 hours, including a five day trip down to Sun & Fun. Camped on the Atlantic Ocean beach each night.

Thought to finally head for Alaska.

Bought a Cessna 170 on May 24, 1987, and left for Alaska on May 25th. Gone for 5 weeks. Fueling in Whitehorse, I saw real bush Super Cubs for the first time, and met and learned about their pilots. I was awed by their nimble, convenient ease of getting down just about anywhere - to access incredible country. Joined them as best I could in the 170. After flying in that country, I'm flat spoiled on Alaska flying!

Came home and sold the 170 - and bought a hot black and red Mooney :bang that I owned 8 years and had incredible experiences with. Flew the Mooney to Alaska a couple times, got there quick but still dreamed of the utility of a Cub.

Found an affordable farm to build a home and airstrip in 1991. Flew my Mooney over 35 foot trees into the 800 foot strip for years. Got the strip fully licensed in 1995.

Went to Canada to purchase my '77 Super Cub in 1994, and right now it is the only airplane I fly. It is perfect for my strip and the type of flying I love to do. It had only 500 hours on it when I got it. I had lightweight electrical system mods done, underseat storage, 3" tall gear, metal headliner and extended baggage, inertial reel harnesses, 82 x 41 borer, VG's, brake boosters. King GPS/comm, and now also a transponder. I'm on 26 inch tires, for a combination of controlability and ability to roll over stuff. Tempted to remove the entire vacuum system. This Cub has been to Alaska a few times, yearning for another trip there.

Did have a cherry 185 for a couple years, but sold it to a great guy with a household name in Malibu, California.

I'd rather fly the Cub, for sure. With the Cub it is easiest to fly in a way that is young at heart. :D Look forward to meeting more of y'all when either you or I am crossing the country or getting together at Supercub.Org events.

Bob Breeden

:-? OK, I'm 69 (70 next March). Soloed a Cub after 4.5 hours of instruction in 1952, private, then Commercial license in about 1954-55. My wife is about ready to solo our J3. We have a 1939 J3 and a 1946 Fairchild F-24R. Flew the Cub to the Lompoc fly-in last week and the Fairchild to Kitty Hawk (Coast-to-Coast) a month ago. I'm still working and have no plans to retire (look what happened to Strom Thurmond, he retired and a few months later he was dead... of course he was 100). ...Clyde

how old are you

thanks clyde
i don't feel quite as old as i did at the beginning of this post.
my body is 64 and my mind is 24.
i started flying for the navy at the age of 21 and have flown off and on since then. mostly cessnas until i got my top cub a year ago, the most fun flying plane of all. took a fantastic trip to alaska in june and am going to canada later this summer.
enjoy this website, thanks.

I was born two weeks before Pearl Harbor....guess that's about 61 years and some change ago. Started flying in 1960 at a little grass field on the south side of Ft. Worth, Texas, called Russell Field--long gone now. My first instructor was C.O. Williams, an elderly gentleman at the time (in his 70's) who was an active pilot in France in the Great War. Plane was a 8E Luscombe, vintage 1946. First J-3 I bought cost $700. Wife wouldn't speak to me for weeks cause that was money we didn't have. Sold it for $2,500 several years later and thought I'd skinned a fat hog. Some time later, in the early 70's I bought a 1939 J-3 and flew it awhile before going through 20 some odd years in V35 Bonanzas. Sold my last V35 in 1997 and shortly after bought my Supercub.....a 1979 beauty with only 390 TT on it. Have been having more fun than ought to be allowed a feller. Often fly it from Amarillo, Texas (our home) to Angel Fire, New Mexico. One to two hundred feet going west (with frequent stops along the way to piddle around), and 11,500 feet coming back (good winds).

I bought a Very nice Luscombe to learn to fly in for $1250.00. I was 19 and by the price of my airplane you probably know I have to be 67 now. Oh that was in 1955. Zowie!!!the prices have changed. My next airplane was a Very nice Piper PA-12 in 1959 for a whopping $1650. I am looking to buy a Piper Pathfinder now and expect to pay around $80,000. Times have changed with prices and also with income so I'm not complaining much.

Back