• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

History of the Immortal Super Cub

SuperCub MD

Collins, Wisconsin
How about a place to record the accomplishments and feats of the single greatest aircraft man has ever created? Here is one to get it started, I hope others out there know of more.

This is from Skyways Magazine, the July 1950 issue.

LOOP RECORD
Carl Crawford of Tulsa, Oklahoma, a veteran of 25 years flying, recently set a new loop record of 1,874 loops in a new Piper Super Cub. Crawford took off with 48 gallons of fuel at 6:42 A.M. He landed at 11:30 having surpassed the existing record of 1,633 loops set by the late Speed Holman.

The article includes a nice picture of Carl leaning on the cowl of his new 105 Super Cub.

Cubs

How about high altitude flights to save peaple by Don Sheldon. Landing and takeoffs
from 14,300' ice feild on Mt. McKinley. Wager With The Wind. good book Wayne

Caro Bayley Bosca set an altitude record with her supercub in 1951
The Piper Aircraft Corporation press release explained, "The plane was a standard 1951 two-place Piper Super Cub, model PA-18, with an unsupercharged 125 horsepower Lycoming engine, widely used for industrial flying, crop dusting and spraying, and general utility work."
Caro eventually reached an actual altitude of 30,203 feet. "And this was before the airlines went to 30,000 feet."

Landing by Henri Giraud, legendary French mountain pilot, of a stock 150Hp Super Cub on the Mont Blanc summit, 15,782 feet. Anyone landed higher?

David

Hello I'm an the owner of the lycoming 0-235 engine that was in the super cub 105 that Carl Crawford flew setting the record . Log book states April 15 1950 loop record 6 hrs 50 mins written. I am looking for more pictures of the plane an of Carl an even more history . I'm in the process of rebuilding a super cub 105 an going to put the same engine into the cub. Hopefully some day soon I will reinact the loop record an try to beat it.

Was the recreation ever done?, great piece of history. I have a paper copy of the article somewhere, maybe more can be found in this new age.

Back