• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gascolator's

White City Oregon
I have decided to start this topic to answer any questions about our STC/PMA gascolator assembly's. You can look at pictures of our unit at http://www.stevesaircraft.com/gascolator.htm

The units are CNC machined aluminum with a tab locked bowl and o-ring seal. No wire bail to pop off and no thumbscrews to strip. They are designed to fit directly into original Piper brackets and are anodized for corrosion protection.

My son Brian and I will try to check posts on a daily basis, so please feel free to post you?re questions or comments.

Steve Pankonin

Steve..........I just installed your gascolator on my cub. This is a quality piece of equipment that left me wondering why I always fought with getting the old one adjusted and tensioned just right so it wouldn't leak......and most of the originals sooner or later get the threads stripped. Easy installation also. I'm happy with it so far. Have there been any reports of problems with your unit?

Reply to a couple of questions.

T.J.
Our gascolators are completely Anodized throughout the entire unit for protection. A reason for the green stuff on the bottom of your bowl is the way the original drain was mounted on the side of the bowl. This allowed a small amount of sediment to collect on the bottom of the bowl. Especially if the drain is pointing forward on a taildragger. Our units have the drain on the bottom to alleviate this problem.

cubdrvr
We have had these out on the market for a year now, and there have been no reports of problems with our new units. Some of our customers have had installation problems due to inconsistent sizing of the original Piper brackets; usually the bracket is a little too wide. A washer in between the bracket and our unit solves the problem.

I just installed one of Steves gascolators in my PA18, it went in easy and looks really well made. Much better than the original parts.

Ok I?m sold, looks like I need the SA3-00 for my straight 150, but do I want the 3oz or the 4oz?...what?s the advantage? And, do you offer the new fittings?

Reply to Lawn Dart

Cavy:

There is a little known regulation the FAA has on fuel sediment capacity requirement. It states that an aircraft has to have 1 fluid oz. sediment capacity for every 20 gallons main tank fuel in the sediment bowl. Original Piper is 2 fluid oz. good for 40 gallons. Our SA3-00 is 3 oz. good for 60 gallons. Our 4 oz. bowl is good for 80 gallons; not normally used on a Cub, but used in some Cessna?s that we have approved. The reason we designed our 3 oz. capacity was because of the Husky's 3 oz. capacity. But it has worked out well because of Atlee Dodges and Dakota Cub's tank STC's.

As for fittings, we sell the gascolator assembly's only. There are too many fitting combinations on various aircraft to try and keep straight and in stock. In most applications the original fittings are cleaned up and reused.

Steve

I think that I speak for the majority of us when I say that all we want is a direct answer for a direct question.

If you don?t offer accessories for your particular product, that?s OK, just tell me up-front.

If your product is configured in a particular way and for a particular reason, that?s OK too, just tell me why, I?ll decide for myself if it fits my needs.

Thanks for the straight answers and explanations, and??.the check?s in the mail!!

I bought one of your gasolators for my PA-18 and have to say it's a big improvement over the stock one. I had to use a Cessna 185 gasolator on my PA-14 because the stock Piper one is too small according to FAA regulations when using the 60 gallon Dodge tanks. Try $1,000.00 for a new C185 gasolator. This was before I found about yours. Great product at a reasonable price. Crash

Steve, Thanks for the explanation on the different size sediment bowls. I wasn't aware of those regs. You know I've installed several of your gascolators and have been very pleased. We will send Cavy a puppy.

Cavy,
Sorry about the long post, but sometimes it takes it to explain things to a majority.
Another consideration about the gascolators is the survivability in a crash. None of us wants to go there, but it does happen and a good amount of Cubs post crash burn. The gascolators could have something to do with that as the Piper ones loose their bowls very easily, dumping fuel into a hot spot. I put a Piper one in a vice and with a very small hammer knocked the bowl off in one light blow. Stuck ours in there and finally got the bowl busted off with seven heavy blows with a five pound hammer.
Food for thought.
Thanks for all the post.
Steve

When you can?t put the tone of your voice in with your post, its intent is often misinterpreted.

Steve, my comments about your products and direct answers were intended to be a compliment and I didn?t find them at all longwinded.

Expect another photo essay from me, and hold that pup! :wink:

Vidir,
Yes, their online catalog has them, and the next print catalog will carry them, however the price is the same, and we can deliver quicker. We are also credit card capable. Anyone in Anchorage, Alaska area please deal with Stoddards.
Thanks,
Steve

Brian,
Recieved unit last week and installed it on a 160 h.p. P.A. 12 Sunday,just a short note to tell all it's a great product. Only problem was the firewall screw,that I had talked to you about,did'nt want to pull insulation and side panels.

Thanks
J.R. Hammack
N7775H

gascolator

Steve, Thanks; the quality of your gascolator is excellent! installation easy and no more problems with leaking bowls etc. planecrazy N1559P

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Due to Atlee Dodge's 30.5 gal tanks totaling 61 gals. some concern has been alledged of our 3 oz. bowls sediment capacity for 60 gals is not quite enough to meet the regulation. Therefor, we have revised our controlling Installation Instructions 3200-3-2 paragraph 5. to use our SA3-00-A 4 oz. bowls if over 60 gals. main tank fuel. The 4 oz. is good for 80 gals. These bowls are interchangable, so if anyone has had an FAA problem with the 3 oz. on these installations, please get in contact with me and we will correct it. On any new installations, please use the SA3-00-A unit.
It is interesting to note that the Cherokee's 50 gals is protected with a 2 oz. bowl, 10 gals over, and the long range tanks in the 182,206 210 of 92 gals is protected with a 4 oz. bowl, 12 gals over. But being 1 gal over on our 3 oz. !! Oh well, our 4 oz. will cover it.
Steve

Back