• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aeronca Chief

Lug

Anchorage, AK
I know it isn't a Cub, but has anyone had any experience rebuilding Chiefs? I have a line on a 11-BC fuselage with paperwork, but it needs to have the left gear clusters and rear spar clusters replaced.
Lug

Aronica's: when one crashes up here, it is usually left laying where it is. Not worth the expense of getting it out or the cost of rebuild. Same goes for Stinsons. You will put $60-70K in a complete Super Cub, Aronica or Stinson rebuild. The Cub will sell for $100K, the rebuilt Aronica or Stinson for maybe $40-50K. The only planes that are really worth rebuilding (in my opinion) are the Piper Super Cub or a Cessna 185. You will always get your money back. Crash

Lug, how much of the project is there? is it the complete aircraft ? I did an 11cc basket project in 92 . Dean

Just a coment on what Crash said . He is right , I ended up with $25000 in my chief . Sold it for $17000 . Bought a sc project and completed it last year smartest thing I've done so far . Dean

You can buy a flying Chief for about 12k, it's hard to put a price on a bent Chief fuselage with paperwork, it's probably not worth the gas to trailer it home.

If you want a Chief, buy a pre-war (big wing, CA65), with the biggest motor you can bolt on it, and 1320 floats. It ain't no Cub, but flying it with the doors off, it's a lot of :D for the $.

Lug:
I've done a few Aeroncas. The tubing repairs are about the same as a Cub. Although I seem to remember a few square tubes?

Cheif

Lug'
I rebiult a cheif frame and replaced a lot of tubing because of rust three years ago
then put the fabric on. [stits] The owner did the rest. He gust wanted a restored
cheif. It wasn't a bad plane to work on. Wayne

Why should profitability have anything to do with restoration of an antique/classic airplane? Perhaps I'm biased; I own 4 planes but have never sold one. If you don't sell 'em, all planes are a dead expense. Which is fine by me.
JimC

Unfortunatley the increased sale value of a cub also means an increase in the price of parts. Having looked at cub projects what is being offered for $800 for the Chief would be $1000 or better for a Cub. I am looking for something that won't break the bank and Aeroncas and T'crafts seem to fit the bill. I am also not doing a restoration as much as building a bush buggy. In 4x4 terms it will not be a show truck, but that primered mongrul that seems to be the first rig to the end of the trail despite being a junkyard special. Either of these will fit my present experience level and not cost more than my house. So the prewar wing is a better wing. This might become an experimental, the Fearless Aeronca Aviator board has available for use a set of rib jigs and leading edge break for the prewar Chief wing.
Lug
p.s. I don't own collector firearms either. If it can't be used it doesn't get bought.

Back